Holy heck, so many choices!

g_lover

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys

I forgot all about new lights when i received my D10 quite a while back (great EDC) so I'm quite out of touch. :crazy:

I'm looking for a new, larger, more powerful light to carry in my bag and I'm overwhelmed with the options.

The most powerful light I currently have is an Eagletac P10a2? and it doesn't cut it. :shakehead

I won't need to use the light much, and when i do it won't be on for long so runtime isn't an issue. Anything above 40minutes is OK

As small as possible, I suppose. As a max I'd say maybe 8inches?

I want some serious throw, but I also want to have a usable beam, with plenty of flood. Minimum 130metres, or there abouts.

Oh and price. A very high max of $181USD, but it better be awesome :)

If you recommend something above $120, could you also recommend something a pricepoint or two below? I know these threads can often get responses of
"I know this is just out of your (superduperhigh pricepoint) but.."

So, with these criteria in mind, recommend me some lights, pleeaase !

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have and Eagletac, but it sounds like you would appreciate a TK11 (240 lumen on the R2 version) or TK20 (150 lumen, but seems a lot brighter to me) Plenty of flood and very good throw.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
do you have any surefires?

Get something Milky modded. In all seriousness, thats how to get the best customised performance, and with $181, you can do quite a lot if you already have a host.

Or look into the Tk40 from fenix, 600+ lumens.

Crenshaw

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
you may have missed out on the eagletacs MCE/Triple cree at $90 firesale at 4sevens

theres also Tk40,M1X,M30,A6 Polestar to look into and 4sevens has a MCE light due soon

all at 500+ lumens well under $180

Disco-Dave

Newly Enlightened
Im in the process of purchasing a few lights at the moment that u mite like and already have one or 2 i like the throw myself but not laserpen kinda throw if u know what i meen its nice to see whats around the hotspot and not just in it

Dereelight DBV V3 ( cree mce pill < that should be here next week ) DBS is a nice light i love it

Fenix tk11 is also excelent nice and birght with not bad runtimes

I will be getting the tk11 r2 in a month along with the Tiablo ACE - G and the JetBeam M1x

4sevens is good for the tiablo ace along with the fenix's and ( bugoutgearusa . com ) for the jetbeam

There may be better sites around tho

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys

I forgot all about new lights when i received my D10 quite a while back (great EDC) so I'm quite out of touch. :crazy:

I'm looking for a new, larger, more powerful light to carry in my bag and I'm overwhelmed with the options.

The most powerful light I currently have is an Eagletac P10a2? and it doesn't cut it. :shakehead

I won't need to use the light much, and when i do it won't be on for long so runtime isn't an issue. Anything above 40minutes is OK

As small as possible, I suppose. As a max I'd say maybe 8inches?

I want some serious throw, but I also want to have a usable beam, with plenty of flood. Minimum 130metres, or there abouts.

Oh and price. A very high max of $181USD, but it better be awesome :)

If you recommend something above $120, could you also recommend something a pricepoint or two below? I know these threads can often get responses of
"I know this is just out of your (superduperhigh pricepoint) but.."

So, with these criteria in mind, recommend me some lights, pleeaase !

You might give the SF LX2 a look. It really is an excellent light and can be had for around $155-175 USD.

g_lover

Newly Enlightened
I've yet to look at all of the lights listed so far, but thanks everyone.

The Tk40 has unnecessary modes and is probably twice as big as I want. Also AA isn't ideal for me. To be honest, I'm sick of AA.
That puts this, and probably the other Fenixes out of contention, I think. I love them, but argh soo many modes.
Two stages, or one is AWESOME. Or something where the modes can we chosen before you turn it on, like bezel tightening.

I also had a look at the Surefire LX2, which I do really like. It seems like it'd be a great fit, and I've always wanted to own a surefire. They seem like users.
If someone could point out where I can get a reasonably priced one with shipping to Aus I might go with that (When I have some $ to spare)

In the meanwhile I'll probably keep looking at the other lights mentioned.

Oh. Do any of the lights mentioned have particularly good colour rendition? This will only be used outdoors, in places where more 'natural' light is better.
I was even thinking of going with an incan but replacements bulbs scare me.

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got my second LX2 for US$180 delivered to Aus.

If you are interested just send me a PM and I will show you the way :thumbsup:

Last edited:

roadie

Enlightened
most members here all started with a surefire here ... including me :naughty:

u wouldnt go wrong with surefires but comes with a hefty price tag.... :eek:

anyway, i EDC a tk20 and a solarforce with R2 drop-in, so i am covered in both white and warm tints when i am in outdoors .... :D

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do any of the lights mentioned have particularly good colour rendition? This will only be used outdoors, in places where more 'natural' light is better.
I was even thinking of going with an incan but replacements bulbs scare me.

You'd want to look for neutral and warm tinted LEDs... very nice outdoor color rendition, much like incandescents (although a good incandescent bulb properly driven is still the standard!) Many manufacturers are offering them now, so you'll find plenty of choices!

rumme

Newly Enlightened
if you will spend up to $180, why not consider two flahslights

Terralux 220 for $30 , takes 2 AA batteriues and rated 220 lumens but has a low power setting also

and

the New IP6 polestar takes 6 AA batteries and rated up to 8oo lumens with several differnet settings for $71.

this gives you 2 solid flashlights with a large array of power settings for certain needs, and leaves you with $80 leftover to buy some rechargeable eneloops for both flahslights.

g_lover

Newly Enlightened
runme, Because I only want 1 light in my bag :)
It seems silly carrying 3 lights because one could be used this way, one this way, etc. I love lights, but there usual size and weight is an issue.

The SF LX2 just seems like a really neat fit for what I want, so I am going to with that. When I find $250 I'll buy the Lx2 and do a 4sevens run at the same time :D

A warmer tint would of been cool, but hey maybe I'll upgrade in the future.

Thanks to everyone who posted.