D10 Piston Drive

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my D10 to day and love it, but the piston drive is alittle tough to push. Is this normal? I thinks its due to the factory grease because its so think and sludge like that its creating too much friction between the wall of the piston drive sleeve and body of light. I also noticed that AW14500 batteries are alittle bigger than normal AA and sort of limit the travel of push to cycle threw modes. Normal?

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
All is normal.
Just remove some of the excess grease in the mid section of the piston sleeve, but leave some on the o-ring and lower 1/4 of sleeve so you don't get that gritty/ notchy feeling due to the machined surfaces and the edge of the piston rubbing. worked on all three of my piston drive lights.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
As greenpea stated, definitely normal. I had an EX10 (CR123 version of D10) and it was just as you describe.

-Robert

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
One thing that I find helps my D10's piston feel immensely is making absolutely sure that no lube gets in the space between the o-ring and the end of the piston (the end you push on). If any grease gets back there, it creates a little bit of suction, making it harder to push. It can also make the piston stick to the body tube, which creates a "click" feeling when you turn the light on after it's been sitting for a while.

Good luck and enjoy your Nitecore! :)

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Also depends on the battery size you use. AA lithium ions are a little longer that AA alkalines and lithiums, and I find that when I use them (li-ions), the piston takes a firmer push to operate. Probably an irrelavant point, but worth mentioning.
OC

hatman

Enlightened
Also depends on the battery size you use. AA lithium ions are a little longer that AA alkalines and lithiums, and I find that when I use them (li-ions), the piston takes a firmer push to operate. Probably an irrelavant point, but worth mentioning.
OC

YMMV by battery.

When I went from Energizer lithium to an AW lithium-ion, my D10 piston worked much better. A better fit, it seems.

Latest posts