Tactical as an EDC

flasherByNight

Enlightened
This isn't a thread about the merits of tactical or regular :scowl: :D

Rather, FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I'd like to know if you find that your tactical single cell EDC has a tendency to accidentally turn on? (I'm debating on another quark...)

(Those of you that consistently use lockout feature, need not apply ;) )
Thanks

Illum

Flashaholic
I'm finding a multi/single cell "tactical" lights to tear open pockets but not necessarily turning on.

What light exactly are you referring to?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This isn't a thread about the merits of tactical or regular :scowl: :D

Rather, FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I'd like to know if you find that your tactical single cell EDC has a tendency to accidentally turn on? (I'm debating on another quark...)

(Those of you that consistently use lockout feature, need not apply ;) )
Thanks

Umm...I've never found any of my EDC lights to have accidentally turned on. Does that help? :)

-Robert

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Maybe you need deeper pockets?
:thinking:

My lights never turn on, even momentary.

Sigh, THAT was THE Question!!! I don't own a tactical, I was concerned that they might turn on all the time, ergo the question. Is my wording really that confusing

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigh, THAT was THE Question!!! I don't own a tactical, I was concerned that they might turn on all the time, ergo the question. Is my wording really that confusing

My apologies.
I took it as you have this issue and that you were trying to confirm whether or not others also have this issue.

It was also my understanding that you were trying to decide, based on the received answers whether or not a regular version is worth it to stop the issue.

Sorry once again.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Single cell tacticals? My Groovy has a fully shrouded clickie. Two cell tacticals wedge the switch into things more easily, like an E2 in the 5.11 flashlight pocket is very willing to turn on if you bend funny. 'Course, I've never had my Twisty turn on in a pocket. :D

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC:

On keyring - L0D, twisty, no problems.

In Jeans pocket - Jet-I Pro V2, reverse clicky, has turned on and gone to high mode, I noticed the heat - now I use tailcap lockout on that light.

In jacket pocket - Olight Ti Infinitum, forward clicky, no tailcap lockout (because the Ti threads conduct), no problem in jacket pocket but I think it would activate by itself if it was in my jeans pocket.

Conclusion: forward clicky is likely to be a problem in some pockets, fine in others.

SuperLightMan

Newly Enlightened
The only light i have ever turned on in my pocket was the Streamlight Twin Task 1L. I guess it was because the button was on the side of the light.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
My apologies.
I took it as you have this issue and that you were trying to confirm whether or not others also have this issue.

It was also my understanding that you were trying to decide, based on the received answers whether or not a regular version is worth it to stop the issue.

Sorry once again.

Ah yes, I can see how it could b e interpreted that way. Thanks for your response.

flasherByNight

Enlightened
Anyhow, so it sounds like it's probably not as bad I was concerned about...it's possible/it may happen, but it's not "that bad".

Case closed, thanks! :twothumbs

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, currently i am carrying the Akoray K106 clipped to my office pants, the clicky switch is quite recessed so it has never turned itself on

ypsifly

Enlightened
For a few months I carried an E1e loose in my pocket at work. One afternoon my thigh started getting very warm. Sure enough, it had activated. Full click. It was in my pants pocket with my wallet, keys, and an SAK.

I switched my work edc to a Microstream clipped inside my breast pocket. I put a Defender tail switch on the E1b that I edc when I'm not working. The incident with the E1e made me make the change...so I guess it isn't so tactical anymore. I also keep it clipped bezel down which seems to help as well.

Last edited:

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
As a matter of fact I have had my Ra clicky turn on a couple of times. The first fact is that I'm a "full-figured" guy (read, fat) and I carry it clipped in my left front pocket, at the rear of the pocket.

It seems that when I fasten my seatbelt in the car and apparently sometimes on exiting the car, the button gets depressed.

I really love the raised button and find it far easier to use, so I'm trying to pay attention when getting out of the car.