Does anybody here sell 18650 sleeves for the Mag 2C?

powerup93

Newly Enlightened
:)

I should've been more specific. I don't have a lathe and I don't want to use cardboard anymore. I know download makes one and sells it....but does anybody else sell them for cheaper shipped? His is like $6+$4ship I believe...so its a bit high IMO...I dunno. I'd need like 3 atleast though.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

I should've been more specific. I don't have a lathe and I don't want to use cardboard anymore. I know download makes one and sells it....but does anybody else sell them for cheaper shipped? His is like $6+$4ship I believe...so its a bit high IMO...I dunno. I'd need like 3 atleast though.

I have some left over adapters that were made my Elektrolumens for 3x123s. I could bore one out for use with an 18650. $6 is too expensive? I disagree. The price is fair unless you are buying a large quantity. You may just be better off making your own if $6 is too expensive. Or you might get lucky if you can find a machinist that some scrap material that is willing to do you a favor. Although it's not hard to make these IMO just the setup & labor to make a couple pieces wouldn't be any cheaper than what download is selling them for.

powerup93

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it's not expensive, it's just that things add up and I wanted to reduce overall costs hoping that sleeves would be a bit cheaper. I understand the effort and labor involved in putting delrin into a lathe. I will ultimately break down and buy them from download if he has any left, in the future, or buy some from you darkzero. Thx for the info guys.

JamisonM

Enlightened

You don't need a lathe or cardboard. I use PVC pipe cut to the right length to my C and AA battery adapters. Take one of the cells you want an adapter for to your local hardware store and see if you can't find something that fits it to your liking.

allburger

Enlightened
3/4'' CPVC cut lengthwise. It works decently. I did it. It's not the best solution but its dirt cheap and always works

Jonster

Newly Enlightened
There is a company called www.batteryholders.com that have just started making a 18650 single cell holder. They have plans to do some multiple ones by the end of the year!
I've got a few of the single cell heading my way.
I've used this company for CR-P2 battery holders and they are good IMO.
I guess its "watch their space"...

Last edited:

ecotack

Newly Enlightened
I used perspex tube off ebay to centre my 3 C-Cells in a 2D Mag

vudoo

Enlightened
I have seen others who have used a length of automotive hosing. Take the batteries and torch down to the automotive shop and see if they have anything that will fit

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont forget that it is not only the sleeve you need to have
to use 18650s in a 2 C Mag but you also need to mod the
tailcap or get one of Fivemeg's SS deep tailcaps.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow $6 is to expensive.......

Black Delrin is over $5 a foot plus shipping!

I sell one "D" size adapters for $10.

Mac

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here´s an another sollution - cheap one!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/241624

I suppose you could use it with C Mag also.

I don't see any savings.

-I bet 99% of people do not even have a drill bit even close to that large.

-You have to drive to hardware stores or call around to see if they even stock the product.

-You then if you find the caps and have the drill bit you dangerously have to hold the cap by hand with a 3/4" drill bit on the other end.

-Or you can pay $10 shipped and have one you know is going to work.....seems like a no brainer to me :)

Mac

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made mine out of that gray 3/4" PVC electrical conduit. It's just a hair too big OD to fit in the MagC tube. I just used a dremel tool to cut a slit lengthwise to remove some material. Then I used sandpaper run up and down through the slit to tweak the fit so it was a tight press fit into the tube. The springiness of the PVC trying to spring back to the larger OD keeps it from falling out of the tube during battery changes. I also drilled a hole near the end so I could grab the PVC to pull it out. You can even use PVC glue to seal the sanded ends of the slit together.

Jonster

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any comments on how these solutions stand up under knocks and bumps?
I'm going to be fitting mine to my bike and don't want something flashing on and off if the contacts intermittently break. I'm sure other people could have similar problems with other applications.

Would be interesting to hear anyone's thoughts?

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I roll the batteries in thick cloth, such as plaid, and slip the roll in, this gives some nice radial padding and completely eliminates battery rattle.

When you tip the batteries out, the cloth stays in, whic is a nice feature.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I made mine out of that gray 3/4" PVC electrical conduit. It's just a hair too big OD to fit in the MagC tube. I just used a dremel tool to cut a slit lengthwise to remove some material. Then I used sandpaper run up and down through the slit to tweak the fit so it was a tight press fit into the tube. The springiness of the PVC trying to spring back to the larger OD keeps it from falling out of the tube during battery changes. I also drilled a hole near the end so I could grab the PVC to pull it out. You can even use PVC glue to seal the sanded ends of the slit together.

+1

Here is the DIY on how to make them on a lathe that I posted like 3 years ago:
DIY for 18650 sleeves for the "C" body

Will