Wireless router/DSL modem

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all. In the market for a combination DSL modem and wireless router. Budget is around $100. Main brands I see around are 2-Wire, Linksys, and Netgear. Any experience with any of them? All crap? All good enough? Nothing too fancy here, I just neet to set up a password protected network for a one bedroom studio.

Thanks!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested myself. WPA(2), WEP, B/G/N all seem to be fairly common attributes for most of them, yet in Newegg I see prices ranging for less then $30 to well over a hundred dollars. Some have one antenna, some two, some three and some none. How do you know which one you need to get?

mina

Newly Enlightened
My preference is Linksys. Try to get an N-class router. Better range/speed(if your current hardware supports wireless-N), less prone to interference and is future-proof.

Wireless-N or MIMO routers have a minimum of 2 antennas. The current Linksys models have internal ones(and IMO, just plain ugly :sick2:).

slaanimp

Newly Enlightened
This is the model I bought for my computer so my niece could use her laptop in or outside the house.Great range and performance.Cost about $70 at Walmart.
Hey all. In the market for a combination DSL modem and wireless router. Budget is around $100. Main brands I see around are 2-Wire, Linksys, and Netgear. Any experience with any of them? All crap? All good enough? Nothing too fancy here, I just neet to set up a password protected network for a one bedroom studio.

e_dogg

Newly Enlightened
The Netgear WNR3500L wireless router is not yet released, but will be the one to get when it comes out in a few weeks. It will have more horsepower than any of the other consumer-level wireless routers available now. You can read a review about it here. In addition to the wireless N protocol, it also has gigabit wired ports which will yield an extremely fast wired connection too. Also, the USB sharing it includes is pretty sweet.

But, the cherry on top is its ability to use open-source router software which will allow for customization and fast speed.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the DSL modem part so you'll still need to either rent one from your DSL provider or buy one like this for $50.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a LinkSys. Has worked flawlessly. Make sure it's a different freq than your cordless phone, otherwise when the phone rings it will cut your internet connection. Don't ask how I found that out.