How many lux at 1 meter do I need to start fires?

sparkysko

Enlightened

Trying to figure out the math with 50,000 lux from the sun plus a magnifying glass, but I figure some of these people burning stuff with their lights must have an idea of how many lux their hotspot is.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Trying to figure out the math with 50,000 lux from the sun plus a magnifying glass, but I figure some of these people burning stuff with their lights must have an idea of how many lux their hotspot is.

This depends on the infrared contents in you light source, sun and incan lights has a high infrared contents, led does not have this.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

sounds almost like you want to look in the laser subforum

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Lux measures the spectrum visible to the human eye. The typical incand torch fire starters work based upon their invisible infrared output. Another reason to include incands in your toy chest, assuming this is a desired, safe, adult activity.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Assuming at this point that you're still curious which incan lights would best light fires, bulb lumens will be sufficient for gauging. A mag85 at about 1300 lumens will light one if you're patient. If you want fire in a few seconds the mag623 w/15.6V battery pack is around 4500 lumens and will do nicely. Mine has ignited dry pine needles in 2-3 seconds. Being perfectly honest though, the novelty wears off quickly. :ironic:

EDIT: Here is some recent discussion with various options mentioned.

Last edited: