Fenix LD10 head and PD20 Body - Threads incompatible?

tb74

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone :wave: - lurker of about 4 years checking in at last to ask you all a question. Before I do, can I just thank you all for the years of excellent information and advice I've had from reading these boards - great stuff :twothumbs

I've just bought a Fenix LD10 - and what a great light it is! I then bought a PD20 spare body for it because the head of the LD10 is supposed to be interchangeable with the LD20 and PD20 bodies to allow you the use of 2xAA or 1xCR123 without buying a new LED head. Great idea, I thought!

Trouble is, when my PD20 (1xCR123) body arrived, the thread was completely wrong for the LD10's head to attach to. The PD20 thread was much less coarse, the result being that the parts just won't go together at all. It's not a damaged thread, it's just completely different.

I've sent an email off to the shop I ordered it from to see what they say, but I just wondered whether anyone on here has either had luck getting this spare body to work with an LD10 or LD20 head, or has had the same problem as me? I know that the tailcap on the PD20 body is wider to accommodate the different size battery, I wondered whether there was a mistake in manufacturing that meant that the wrong thread was put on the other end on this particular body?

Since I suspect that the shop I bought these items from is likely to have a presence on here, and may recognise this question from the email they got from me earlier, I should make it clear: I'm not complaining about them at all! I'm sure there's a logical explanation (either the part is defective or I'm just being stupid!), I just thought I would post my question on here too to see if any of the assembled experts might know anything about it?

Thanks in advance!

tb74

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'm going to reply to my own post (sorry!) in order to pass info on to anyone else who may be in the same situation as me.

I've discovered that the reason is the newer LD10/20 with the pocket clip doesn't seem to be part of this 'modular' design, and that you cannot use the spare bodies with heads from a 'pocket clip' Fenix light.

I expect you all knew this already :eek: but in case someone else searches for this I thought I'd add the answer for the sake of completeness.

Annoying, but then I suppose I'll just have to get a 'classic' (ie. non pocket clip) Fenix light to go with the spare body I bought :D shame!

shark_za

Enlightened
The pocket clip version seems to cure the only niggle I have with the LD10.
The excellent finish is sometimes a bit slippery.
So I'm guessing you need to get the + version bodies but I only see an LD20+, no PD20+.

tb74

Newly Enlightened
Ah, right - thanks for that info. I haven't seen the + versions in any website I've found, but if I ever spot them I'll know what they're for!

Interesting point about the 'classic' versions being slippery to hold - I've got one on order so will be able to compare them directly soon I hope!:thumbsup:

rsithron

Newly Enlightened
I was bitten by the same thread issue. Bought an LD20+ and a body for the PD20 last month. The new "wear resistant trapezoid thread" on the LD20+ means they don't fit together.

The LD20+ was a rather incremental upgrade to the previous LD20, so I was hoping they'd do a similar upgrade to the PD20 in such a way as to make the threads compatible again. The new PD20+ is now out, however it appears to be somewhat more of a new design. It does have an appropriate thread, but both the head and tailcap look different. I wonder whether the body will work with the LD20+/LD10+ head and tailcap.

If anyone's got a PD20+ yet then maybe you could help us out? Can you confirm that the new PD20+ is still a 3 piece light and measure the length of the body (with head and tail removed)?