ROV 2AA 1 watt vs. RiverRock 2AA

LEDrock

Enlightened
I just bought an ROV Sportsman Extreme 2AA 1 watt LED light at Menards. They have them on sale now for $5 after rebate, which seems like a steal!

I already have a River Rock 2AA, so I wasn't expecting too much of an improvement, except for the fact that the RR has an aspherical lens that makes the beam too tight. So I figured the ROV would be a little dimmer since they are rated for about the same lumens, and the ROV would spread the light out over a wider area. The River Rock is rated at 42 lumens, and the ROV is rated at 45 lumens.

Imagine my surprise when I tried them out side-by-side and found the ROV to be much brighter in every way! The hotspot in the middle is brighter than the RR, and of course there is much more sidespill at the same time. The package for the ROV says it's a 1 watt with 45 lumens, and the light itself has "1 watt" printed on it. But I'm starting to wonder if they put the LED that normally goes into the 3 Watt ROV in it by mistake. Has anyone had that experience?

Garand

Newly Enlightened
I had both the 1 watt and 3 watt ROV lights. I lost my 1 watt and I have not been able to find another one locally.

I think these are some of the best lights you can get for the money.

My 3 watt is close to being the light my Surefire G2L is as far as throw and overall brightness.

I know they are old technology but they are still good lights.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the ROV 2xAA 1 watt lights - I have two of them.

They may have Luxeon 1 emitters in them, but they are really well built and tough.

I particularly like the combination momentary/twist tailcap.

LEDrock

Enlightened
But did you notice a big difference between the RR 2AA and the ROV 2AA? Since they advertise about the same lumens, I'm shocked that the ROV puts out so much more and was wondering if other people who have both have experienced the same thing.