Looking for help modding a spiderfire ssc p7

tugbidwell

Newly Enlightened
New to posting on the cpf, so this may not be the right place to look for help with this.

Well I just got a spider fire SSC P7 off ebay and love it! I was just hoping for a little more throw and a little less flood. I have a Dorcy 220 that is my best throw at the moment to compare to (not saying much I know but it works for me). The spider is bright, mabey not the 900 lumens they quote, but I expected that. Just hoping to out throw the Dorcy

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (as well as where to buy what is recommended, or if you have the parts to sell yourself)

I have pay pal and ready to use it.

(yeah I know they are cheap lights, but I am just breaking into this slowly. For the flashlight snobs out there I did score a Lummi Raw the day before on ebay, awesome little light)

Thanks!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are 2 factors for beam size:
the reflector/optic/focusing device used,
the led itself.

"unfortunately" the quad led (MC-E, P7) have this large emitting surface, so the beam is more on the wide side.
You would have to find a reflector/optic that makes a thighter beam and put this into the light instead of the original one.
Sorry, no clue what to recommend
:(

Maybe jsut try to change the position of the reflector in the head - up or down as compared to the led - with a little luck You might find a better result than is now.

tugbidwell

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I will try to move the reflector and test again. Will also measure and post.

How about using an aspheric lens?

I also realize I may not be able to do anything but buy another light.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I dont think its possible to make a P7 into a tight beam thrower. The quad dies arranged as they are, with the dark "+" between them doesn't allow for a single tight beam. I have seen aspheric P7 designs that emit a 2x2 array of light beams, but its not combined into one singular beam. The solarforce L950M is the farthest throwing P7 I have used, but still can not out throw a well designed XR-E.

tugbidwell

Newly Enlightened
The more that I research this I find that I will probably need to get a different light for the task.

What XR-E light would you reccomend as a great thrower?

Thanks

geek1

Newly Enlightened
Just got myself an EagleTac M2XC4 Neutral (40% off) and I LOVE it!! Absolutely amazing throw and "car headlight" -output. My Spiderfire P7 looks dim compared to it. If you prefer a single quad-die thrower I suggest the MG RX-1.

tugbidwell

Newly Enlightened
Decided to buy a Fenix tk40 for my throw needs :grin2:. This seems to do the trick, but I may look into a HID for even more throw. Thanks for the help!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
a TK40? :thinking:
isnt that generally considered the floody P7 one, while the Jetbeam M1X is the thrower?

... also I'd choose the M1X because of the cell setup.

tugbidwell

Newly Enlightened
Yeah it is a little floody, but not nearly as much as the spiderfire. Will look into the Jetbeam. This months flashlight budget is running out.