My new SF M952

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to a local gunshow to browse and I picked up a few goodies.
Two tables had SF M952XM07 on close out so I bought one. The set had an extra P60 module.
Of course I will replce the lamp with a Malkoff.
007Small.jpg

005Small.jpg

006Small.jpg

I feel I got a great price at $225, no tax.
Anyone here have one?

Schuey2002

Enlightened
No, unfortunately, I don't own one... yet!

I'd really love to have one fastened to my M4, though..

Enjoy your new light! :thumbsup:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
This should go into the Weaponlight collection thread.

But yes I have one. I got mine on clearance/close out from LAPOLICEGEAR.com. I paid $160.

Apparently mine is a rare variant. It is a M952P not the M952XM. there were M952P and M952C available before the XM versions

the M952P came with the rare SW01 tailcap which you see below, "P" stands for pressure.
The M952C came with the SW02, "C" stands for clickie.

Mine is a rare oddity since the SW01 is so old, yet it was bundled with the newer style M2 head on the new M952 body. Mine was sealed in the box when I bought it.

dsc0687tc1.jpg

I see yours has the new M93 rail attachment, compared to the old style swan lever mount that I have. and the crappy thumb screw versions. I hate the thumb screws. Also you have the newer LU60 adapter, see mine is hexagonal wheras yours looks like semi-circles were cut out to facilitate better finger grip for unscrewing it off the bezel.

In terms of using a Malkoff, I have not tried it yet as I dont have a malkoff yet. I do notice that the LU60 adapter doesnt fit dropins very easily. the M2 head has a bit of a buffer due to the shock absorbing head. You may want to check with Malkoff or other M952 owners if a Malkoff will fit. also you should get a HA C2 head (only $25 on optics planet) and use that style head with the M952. slimmer and no need for the copper ring needed for the M2 head.

Last edited:

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer, the Malkoff will not fit in the LU60 adapter. I wonder if the Tactical Night Vision Corporation drop-in will work.
Also could have the adapter widened.
Thanks for the tip on the 'C' head. I may try that.
This light must have a high output LED. I'll keep the P60's as backups.

Here is a new P60 compared to a very old P60. I may have a compressed spring on the old one.
DSCN0095bbbSmall.jpg

mega_lumens

Enlightened
What's the reason for the bezel having "broken" threads? These lights look hefty and bump proof but do they add a lot of weight to a rifle affecting endurance and accuracy over prolonged engagement type of scenario?

Size15's

Flashaholic
What's the reason for the bezel having "broken" threads? These lights look hefty and bump proof but do they add a lot of weight to a rifle affecting endurance and accuracy over prolonged engagement type of scenario?
So you can unscrew the adapter collar from both the bezel and the housing (depending on where it stays when you unscrew!)
Sometimes it can be a real pain to remove and the cut outs enable you to use the back of a sturdy blade, or screw driver shaft or other such thing to unscrew it...
SureFire didn't always have the notches and I think its excellent they've added them.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Al. It is a great idea and the manual does point out that anything that will fit in the notches can be used. It is tight due to a nice big fat O-ring that will keep dirt and water out:thumbsup:

mega_lumens.
The light is smaller than you might think from the OP picture.

Here it is next to a 6P
DSCN0096mmSmall.jpg

Feel free to move this to Weapon Lights if appropriate.:oops:

Last edited:

Alloy123

Newly Enlightened
Sunspot, what did you finally do to get a high power led into the m952?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest, the M952 is overkill. VTAC-L4 aka Viking Tactics hand held Scoutlight is really all you need.

however if you really want the Malkoff you can still do it but you will ahve to lego your solution. Either get a Scoutlight/e-series with prefered tailcap and then get the the VME head to fit the Malkoff.

In regards to a M952 style light a simple 6P body, XM tailcap and a suitable mount is all you need.

Alloy123

Newly Enlightened
I have already purchased the M952. I just hasn't done any research into the LED portion before buying. Now I'm stuck with a light I can't get any of the newer modules to fit into. :thumbsdow

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Sunspot,
Why does your M60 not fit!?! Mine works just fine! You will need to stretch the spring so that it makes contact with the batteries. No...the M60 module will not fit flush inside of the LU60 adapter but it really doesn't need to. Your M952 is a wepon mounted light which means it has a shock isolated bezel which means it will give you a tiny bit of room to play with. Stretch the spring on your Malkoff and report back. It should work just fine. I have over 5 years on both of my M952...both with Malkoff M60's...couldn't be happier!

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I also forgot to mention...Lumens Factory D26 High Output LED's do not fit into the M952! :thumbsdow

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunspot,
Why does your M60 not fit!?! Mine works just fine! You will need to stretch the spring so that it makes contact with the batteries. No...the M60 module will not fit flush inside of the LU60 adapter but it really doesn't need to. Your M952 is a wepon mounted light which means it has a shock isolated bezel which means it will give you a tiny bit of room to play with. Stretch the spring on your Malkoff and report back. It should work just fine. I have over 5 years on both of my M952...both with Malkoff M60's...couldn't be happier!

which LU60 adapter do you have? Im worried about breaking my M60 spring.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I have both the older version and the newer version which is pictured above. Like I mentioned earlier...it does not fit in the adapter perfectly but it does fit and will fit into the bezel just fine as well.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I recall, there's a bit of metal that needs to be removed from the LU60 to make the Malkoff module work. It can and has been done with a Dremel, but I've never done the mod so I won't recommend any specifics.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made some measurements on my M952 LU60 Lamp Module Adapter Collar and some lamps.
01-16-2009bbSmall.jpg

Lamp Module Adapter Collar. The largest inside diameter is 0.850 at the rim and tapering down to .810 at the maximum depth my caliper can go.
The Malkoff measures 0.859
The TNVC measures 0.864
The stock lamp is 0.765
It looks to me that the Lamp Module Adapter Collar needs to be bored out to 0.87 for the drop-ins to work.
This is being discussed on another board.
ARF

I am still asking around looking for a shop that can do the work for me.

I have been told that TVNC is releasing a 600 lumen drop-in that will fit the M952. They will be showing it at the SHOT show.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. I wonder how much it will be. Malkoff does make a 500 lumen MCE dropin that is around $120. But you would still have the problem of the lu60 not fitting.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I've been using my Malkoff M60 in an m951 for months now... using Gene's little adapter bit.

No problems so far. No dremeling either; it's completely stock.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
There is still alot of chat about the M60 not fitting into the LU60 adapter. Have you guys actually tried putting the M60 into the LU60 adapter as far as it will fit and then put it back into the bezel. IT WILL FIT! The bezel will still tighten down all of the way and works perfectly. Before you start having things machined and retro fitted I would just put the lamp in there. Trust me...it works with both the older and newer version of the LU60. The Lumens Factory D26 would not allow me to fully tighten the bezel down so I had concerns about the integrity of the light in regards to weather / waterproof capabilities! IT WORKS GUYS! TRY IT!!!