Looking at light...need input...M2XC4

JME

Newly Enlightened
I am very interested in the Eagletac M2XC4 flashlight.

Here's what I like about it:

1) doesn't look like a standard flashlight (the shape)
2) output: 40 / 150 / 360 / 800 Lumen
3) runtime: 55 / 12.5 / 4.5 / 1.5 Hours
4) optional 18650 battery size
5) lux: 30,100 (according to light-reviews.com)

I am looking for

1) a thrower (preferably greater than 15,000 lux)
2) output greater than 250 lumens
3) great build quality
4) HA III

I would like input on this flashlight. I have one main concern and everything else is secondary. The concern I have is about the battery holder for the 18650 batteries for this light. Is the battery holder cheesy or will it endure and last a long time? Is the battery holder gonna come apart and not work anymore (I had this happen to a couple lights). Also: does the light feel as funny as it looks? I like the shape of it, just frankly because it is different, but how does it feel in your hand?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
I have one. It's for sale, but not really sure I want it to sell mainly because of how it feels it feels in the hand and how easily mode switching is. I'm really not sure how the battery holder could fail while inside the light. It seems very well supported with 4 cylindrical tubes holding the top and bottom together. The aluminum tubes are further supported by ridges inside the battery tube that slide between the tubes. It has no movement when trying to twist it. I suppose a major drop on the bezel could crack the apparently plastic ends of the holder toward the front with the momentum of the battery itself. There could be more support at the head end. FYI, I have no other experience with battery holders, and I have not abused this light in the least bit. Just my humble opinion. Hope it helps.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have a love/hate relationship with this light. I love that I can take it in an underhand grip, then turn it on and adjust output, without moving my hand. And I hate that it drains the batteries in 3 months of no use.

The battery draining could be fixed by mounting the switch, but that would spoil the love part.
Mechanical the light is probably not up to rough treatment or extended exposure to a wet environment.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Most of the time the battery drain issue isn't an issue. Most people will use the light often enough that the batteries will be charged. If you are going to have the light sit on the shelf for extended time, using that tail cap switch or unscrewing the head enough to break the circuit solves the problem.
I just bought one of these lights. I really like it. I thought I was going to get this light and sell my Olight M30, but I'm not sure which one I like more. The EagleTAC definitely has amazing throw, but walking the dog at night or walking in the woods at night, the Olight's wide smooth beam wins. But, if you are looking for throw the ET is great. It is up there in lux with just about anything, but the spot is wider than some other throwers I have have used and the spill is wide and bright too. It is a great thrower without the compromises most others have.
Also, I actually find the ET quite comfy in the hand and the battery holder is pretty sturdy. I don't think many will have any issues with it. I actually just pulled mine out to make sure, and it is surprisingly sturdy compared to its looks.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the first batch and sold it within a week. Head's too heavy, irritating overrun of rotating switch to strobe when I want turbo. The throw is good, but not as good as I had hoped for. Not sure if these are rectified. If I'm looking a thrower now, I'd go for Jetbeams like M1X or RRT-1 or Dereelight DBS V3 (R2) for more versatility.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my Neutral tint M2XC4 from 4sevens :twothumbs

When I reveive it, I will give you some feedback!

:thumbsup:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the first batch and sold it within a week. Head's too heavy, irritating overrun of rotating switch to strobe when I want turbo. The throw is good, but not as good as I had hoped for. Not sure if these are rectified. If I'm looking a thrower now, I'd go for Jetbeams like M1X or RRT-1 or Dereelight DBS V3 (R2) for more versatility.

Agree completely. This really annoys me. The step also is closer between turbo and strobe than between the different brightness levels.

Regards, Patric

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
I like my m2xc4 a lot. I use it with the tailcap switch. You can't beat the power and size it has as everything else is bigger. I haven't once hit strobe looking for Turbo. Rotate the ring to the next level of brightness slowly.

apontes

Newly Enlightened
There are two features that set the M2xxx apart from the crowd: its shape and control ring. Combined, they allow you to use it with an overhand grip, and also give it a better balance than most 2x18650 lights.

It also has a couple of (well documented) flaws, like not being reliably waterproof out of the box and the ease of activating strobe.

I bought mine from 47's firesale. At that price point, features easily outweighed flaws, imo.

But there are surely more solid/sturdy lights out there. They won't be as powerful AND compact as the M2xxx, though.

Last edited:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
It is a shame that other flashlight companies have not come out with similar designs. When I had mine, I love the performance of the light, but sold it because of the poor build quality (not waterproof) and the very irritating accidental strobing.

fareast

Enlightened
I like mine a lot but only after I added a shim to (partially) disable the strobe. I would not like to loose it but I rarely use it so now it engages only with a forceful turn. I like the weight and looks, to me it feels sturdy. It's the one of the few if not only one (trowers) which is available with a neutral tint.
Still though, the high standby drain is inexcusable (no clicky on mine) which was later lowered and advertised as: "now even more efficient standby time" or something similar. Sure, great, but how about mine?! I also blacked out all those "typical" idiot warnings telling me the flashlight I am holding is warm or to not look into the beam... Usually, this lettering means a no go for me.

The thing is, now the light should be good (except for the stupid strobe). that is, after the members at CPF told them how to change the first and second run as much as they could. And because of it's features it's a unique little light with little or no competition out there (IMHO).

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the light but the rotary switch would be made in similar design as Fenix TA models with easy visible and distinct steps.

Regards, Patric

Hawk600

Newly Enlightened
I have two Eagletac M2 lights, one R2 coll white and one P7 and loved it since the first minute.
Grip fells great in the hands, it has a compat design and great quality. The fact that is considered heavy, actually gives it a tougher fell, like having a loaded handgun in your hands.

Quality is great and Eagletac customer service is being top notch.
The initial waterproofing issues were solved with a O'ring kit provided for free by Eagletac and the latest batches don't have this issue anymore.

The strobe isn't an issue if you use the light more than one day and get used with, plus as many here did, you can adjust the head to minimize the strobe mode or eliminate it completely with a small credit card piece.

This are the brightest lights in my collection, and mines have a great thrown, (even the P7) with lots of spill.

Good luck with your purchase :thumbsup:

Latest posts