disapointed with RA

chef4850

Enlightened
I am a "newer member" to the forum although I have been here looking for a while. I made all my light purchases with everyones recomendations thanks to all as I have emassed a really great collection of the best. I have very reciently purchased a RA light (based on all the threads) a EDC-E to be exact. I was not really a fan of the looks of this light as I usually factor that into my purchases. I know ----- a light is based on function and not form for the most part. Well I recieved the light about a month ago. I opened the light up and there was a battery in it already - really cool! It seemed like a decient light BUT I must say I was kind of disapointed at the output. It is 120 lumens (I am sure everyone knew that already) and I was under the understanding that eventhough it was "only" 120 lumens it was out the front rather than at the emitter. I am a big fan of the NEX and have EDC'd it for the last year or so because I just Love this light. It is very bright and looks really cool IMHO so I tend to compare all lights to it. So I was kind of disapointed with the RA's output. The build of the RA was great (I see what everyone says about the clip ---- ah not a fan) but a decient light none the less. I carried the RA for about a week and put it away and returned to the NEX. A few days ago I went into the case and pulled out the Ra again and decied to give it another chance. It is a good light and very usable just not that bright. I do not know why but I then purchased a 170 tactical RA. Please do not ask I do not know why. There was just something there that drew me back. When I recieved the light well it looked the same (with the exception of the ano bezel and the clicky (just longer). Looked in the light to find yet another battery ---- really cool! Well I pressed the clicky and Wow yet another disapointment (please read on I will explaine). It was not dark yet and I was inside so that was the impression I had at the moment. For the next couple hours as the light faded to black I realized I could not put it down. Yes I know as my wife explained to me as I was sitting there "fondeling" my new light that there is just something there. Now it is dark and I "needed to take my Rotti out to relieve himself" (at least that is what I told my wife but she knew what I was really going out for). Let me say allthough it is only the day after I do not think I will be placing the RA into the case. It is great!!!! I was under the assumption that you needed to have "twice the lumens to see a difference" NOT TRUE!!! At least not with this light. I am very happy to say the least. Thinking back to the EDC-E I am happy to have it also and will probally use it more now (for some reason - I just do not know). I however have a couple of "issues" with the particular light that I recieved but do not understand how it could have happened. The bezel is off center. Flush on one side and a recessed on the other. I am not a machineist but I would think it would be pretty hard to have this happen. My other "issue" and trust me it is a minor one but things like this bother me. The etching on the bezel is behind the clip when the clip is installed and I mean it could not have been more perfectly centered behind it. These seem like "gripes" BUT I thought. "I bet there a very few lights out there the same as mine"! I LOVE BOTH!!!!! of these lights. RA all the way! By the way the NEX will be in the case for a while.

Chef

lolzertank

Enlightened
:faint: I think my head just exploded.

Beam profiles make a huge difference in apparent brightness. Throwy lights almost always appear brighter than a floody light of the same output.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
no problem,

if you really dont like it sell it,

everyone here loves them.

it will sell

you will get 89% + of your money back.

chef4850

Enlightened
I am not going to sell the light. I think (probally from the long wording) you might have miss understood the point I trying to make. I really like the light after I recieved the 170 tac. Sorry for the confusion. RA are great lights

Chef

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
You scared me there for a bit. Good thing I read your entire essay. Glad you like them. :laughing:

This is the thing that people who handle a Ra get to understand. There is an ineffable quality to the Ra that pictures and reviews just don't quite capture. The light is smaller than it appears in most pictures. It fits very nicely in the hand (at least my hands) and is a pleasure to operate. My first Ra was a Titanium clicky and I ended up with two. :D

Forget the clip. A holster is the way to carry a Ra. I am looking for a custom leather holster maker but several off the shelf holsters work well enough. If a clip is your thing, then Chip's Titanium clip is the way to go (it is definitely worth the price in my opinion).

Edit: Might want to change the title of the thread to something a bit more indicative of the real spirit of your post. :whistle:

Last edited:

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
I just found this thread.
I've already stated what turns out to be very apropos in your other thread.

..I think you should reevaluate WHY you aren't more disappointed and have reversed your initial and valid concerns!
I believe that you are simply rationalizing your purchase. Very common.

chef4850

Enlightened
IMOP Ra lights are great lights build is strong overall a nice light. I just got a dud. I am sure there are more (and by a fair margin) "functional" lights than not. I understand you are not a fan of RA/HDS but thier track record is among the best and that is not my opinion. After purchasing a few dozen different lights I came across my first "turd" as you put it. I would be happy to have the light repaired/replaced as I still think it is a great light.

Chef

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
When these lights work they unquestionably make people happy! :thumbsup:

Good luck with your RMA.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armed Forces, what light would you suggest? A Surefire? There have been many threads where owners have gotten models that were DOA too. Nothing can be built 100% correctly 100% of the time. Ra has had slip ups, Surefire has had slip ups, Novatac (HDS) has had slip ups... what's your point?

Just because you happen to dislike a particular brand doesn't mean you should be an @ss in 2 threads.

Just as in the other one, please move on.

@ Armed Forces, PM sent

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
Armed Forces, what light would you suggest? A Surefire? There have been many threads where owners have gotten models that were DOA too. Nothing can be built 100% correctly 100% of the time. Ra has had slip ups, Surefire has had slip ups, Novatac (HDS) has had slip ups... what's your point?

Just because you happen to dislike a particular brand doesn't mean you should be an @ss in 2 threads.

Just as in the other one, please move on.

@ Armed Forces, PM sent

Don't try to make this a Surefire vs. xxxx thread because the OP isn't asking for opinions on what to buy or what I prefer! I bowed out of the other thread but don't expect me to do the same here just because you'd like me to "move on". I left this thread on a positive note, wishing the OP luck and clearly stating that there are many happy owners of Henry's lights. Since you are obviously a new member I think you need to do some searching before jumping to all kinds of conclusions because so far you are bating zero. Your post did nothing to contribute to this thread and instead is just baiting me to argue with you and further pollute this thread. Posting what you did and then trying to take it to PM is just CYA (cover your ***) as far as I'm concerned. To put it concisely, Henry's Clicky has been fraught with quality control issues since its debut here. It is well documented. Some people obviously don't seem to mind but I march to a different beat.