What should I do with my MAG 2D?

GunAround

Newly Enlightened
I have a mag 2D that is bone stock and I was wondering what my best option would be for it.

Leave it as is?

Upgrade with a high output standard lamp?

Convert to LED? If I do this, can I still use standard alkaline batteries?

I also have an older 5D that I might do the same with, so I'd welcome any thoughts on that one too.

Thanks!

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
I put a Mag 3 watt LED upgrade in my 3D Mag. I use it nightly to walk my dog. Nice white beam and the batteries last forever.

Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the Mag LED upgrade

The reason being that it is quick and easy, relatively inexpensive, and widely available.

I upgraded one of mine and it works pretty well, so I hunted around for another upgrade. I had a 2C Mag that I had modded with 3xCR123 and KPR112 bulb. This makes an interesting light, but to me the 2C Mag is a lot nicer form factor than the 2D so I put the second Mag LED upgrade in my 2C body. I don't think Mag sells this combination but I think they should.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i didnt want to fuss around with my 3D mag so i just bought a Mag LED drop in and left it at that, the standard alkaline D cells seem to last for a really long time so that's the emergency go to light with long run times (D cells get checked once a month for leakage and spare D cells are always around)

did try a 6D bulb using three 3xAA holders and 9 eneloops, that was fun but the idea of charging 9 eneloops and having 9 spares was quite cumbersome.

I am quite useless at soldering etc and parts for an ROP are difficult to get in singapore so i didnt bother doing that.

GunAround

Newly Enlightened
Ok, couple of newbie questions:

1. Any idea of lumen output and battery life on the MAG LED dropins? Can't seem to find it listed. Here are the standard incand specs CLICK ME

2. What is ROP?

Gatsby

Enlightened
Well it depends a lot on what you want to have ultimately, how much you're willing to spend, and how much modding you want to do yourself.

Incandescent choices with a 2D are kind of limited to the Roar of the Pelican modification. There are plenty of threads on how to do this but expect to invest a reasonable amount in battery holders, batteries (if you don't have a bunch of AA rechargeables lying around), reflector, lens and of course bulbs. I'm sure a budget is posted somewhere, but as I understand it unlike a Mag85 the mods are pretty straightforward.

LED choices abound really and it is a matter of what you want (huge output, long runtime, etc...), how much you want to spend and how much work you want to put into it.

Due to ease and relatively low cost I upgraded two 3D Mags with MagLED bulbs I bought used in the marketplace or on closeout. I upgraded one 2D with a MagLED and another with a Niteize LED drop in. All can use alkalines, the MagLEDs put out a decent beam and run for quite some time so they are useful lights and great emergency backup lights as they can be used in candle mode. The Niteize drop in runs for days and days and days. Not real bright but bright enough and a great power outage light. All the other options seemed to be more money than I wanted to spend (multi die setups, etc...) and the MagLED and Niteize drop ins were sufficient to make them useful lights again without spending very much at all. I do think they are about as much bang for the buck as you can get and while not perfect, they seem to be a bit underrated...

GunAround

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that link Marduke. And thanks for everyone else's comments so far. I'll let you know what I decide.

scarlet

Newly Enlightened
The ROP high will blow your mind compared to that bone stock 2D you have now... I highly suggest it :twothumbs