Turbohead for E2e, M2, 6P

LLLean

Enlightened
I haven't heard of any, but are they any turboheads for the SureFire E2e or M2? I think they would be nice to have.

I'm curious - when the K1 turbohead is fitted on a SureFire 6P, how tight and far is the
throw? Any pix (esp comparing with other SureFire
lights) will be greatly appreciated. I currently
have the E2e and the C3 with LPS's turbohead. The latter combo gives a really nice tight far light. But I would like to get a slightly smaller flashlight with a good throw.

Much thanks.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no turboheads for the E series yet but there are prototypes for it.

For the M2 you can use the KT-1 (comes with N1 LA) T-Head or even your LPS T-Head should fit your M2 (also fits any 2 cell w/N1 or 3 cell w/N2 except E series), but you will have to use the N1 lamp assembly in the M2.

K-T

*Moderator*
I have thought about the M2 being a Millenium light but not having a SIS Turbohead bezel. Then I took a closer look at the M6 bezel and thought that maybe some adapter collar could be processed for attaching the M2 onto that Turbohead. The KT1 also uses this collar to get attached to the M2.

Any thoughts?

Klaus.

LLLean

Enlightened
nascar (why a car and not a light?),

are you saying that the 6Volts in an M2 is
not sufficient to drive the KT1 turbohead?
which turbohead and lamp-assembly are you
refering to?

anyone else used a KT1 on a two-123
Surefire flashlight? N1 LampAssembly?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Let me throw in my two cents.

I put a KT1 turbo on a C2 (same as M2 for practical purposes) and it sure provides for a tight beam with throw. Unfortunately, I didn't even bother to try the incandescent LA that came with the head but instead went with a 5W cyan Luxeon. Anyway, any of these Turbo heads will tighten the beam of a properly focused (placed) light source. I think it's a pretty simple rule of physics that the tighter the concentration of light in a beam, the further the penetration or throw of the beam will be. Taken to the limit, a laser is a good example of this.

I assume that Ray is comparing the KT1 with 2 cells to a turbo with 3 or more cells and finds the KT1 lacking. If the KT1 with two cells is compared to the reflector of the G2, M2, C2 or 6P, I can't help but feel a significant difference will be seen.

I've had the opportunity to compare a proto type E2E turbo with a standard E2E reflector and the concentration of light in a tighter beam from the E2E turbo made an appearant difference in throw. Unfortunately, in my way of thinking, the Ex turbo head is not currenty slated for production. Bummer.....

- Don

PS. Al must hav had some experience with the KT1. Perhaps he can enlighten here.

K-T

*Moderator*
I have tried the KT1 on my 2-cell 123A lights and it is quite impressive (for its size!) compared to other brands' lights of the same and bigger size. The one thing that makes the 2cell lights interesting is the HOLA giving them some more punch, it is a pitty that there is no HOLA available for these 2cell turbohead versions. What I would love to see is something like a "N11" with some 120lm output. That would be nice.
On the other hand I remember Al and others saying that a turbohead is more useful with high powered flashlighs >200lm (I hope to have gotten the number right) and I agree. The N1 does produce a nice beam but I have noticed real useful useage in combination with turboheads and LA's providing 200lm+.

Hope you got what I meant - kind of confusing I guess
rolleyes.gif

I would love to see the performance of the Exec. turboheads. Even though these would make the lights too big (as far as I can tell from pictures) they might improve the -what already seem to be a nice- beam.

Klaus.
wink.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I even have experience with a shock isolated ~Z2T!...

The KT1 with it's N1 65Lu/60min lamp does not have the intensity to project a beam of real usefulness at long range. In this respect, the N4 lamp is on par.

N2 105Lu and N3 110Lu beam are minimum Lumen output for long range beam. Remember that I have examples of all beams upto 10X so I've got high expectations.

So if there was an N11 120Lu/20min beam for the M2 TurboHead, then, we maybe cooking on gas, but it's not going to happen.

The MN15 125Lu and N3 140Lu in the T3 are the next up in my experience. The N3 in the KT3 isn't much to write home about in terms of beam through but does improve the 9AN I feel.

What's this shock isolated Z2T?
Email and I'll send you a photo.

Regards,

Al

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the LPS Special T-head mounted on a G2 body and am very impressed with a nearly perfect beam & center spot that's as bright as a 4 or 5D Maglight in a light that's 7" long & weighs 4 oz. (is that a run-on sentence?). Just my 3 cents. TX

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Originally posted by LLLean:
nascar (why a car and not a light?),

are you saying that the 6Volts in an M2 is
not sufficient to drive the KT1 turbohead?
which turbohead and lamp-assembly are you
refering to?

anyone else used a KT1 on a two-123
Surefire flashlight? N1 LampAssembly?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Flashlights are my hobby. Mark Martin winning the championship is my passion.

Anyway, I may have not been clear in what I was trying to say about the M2 and the Turbo-Head. I found that although the turbo-head on the M2 does the job it's intended to do (throw the light further) the additional size of the turbo compared to the OEM head does not make it a worthwhile investment in my opinion. The M3 with the turbo head is a completely different story.

Bottom line, if you want your M2 to throw futher, the turbo head will allow that to happen.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Agreed, the N1 lamp in the various TurboHead options does produce a narrow beam for longer range illumination compared with the standard P60/P61.

Agreed, I would suggest getting a KT2 or similar TurboHead option for 3 cell SureFires rather then a KT1 for your two cell models.

Agreed, the M3T is a whole different level of output and features.

The Steve Ryan TurboHead on the likes of the G2Z give you a highly compact, light-weight long range option. I guess I am spoilt by the use of much more powerful SureFires.

Al

LLLean

Enlightened
What's a "Steve Ryan turbohead"? Does that
attach to an M2 or 6P?

Txwest, when you said you use the LPS special turbohead with your G2, which lamp assembly
did you use? N1??

I have the LPS special turbohead with the N2 LA on my C3, and I'm very, very impressed by the range of its throw. However, I want to get something shorter/smaller than the C3/LPS turbohead combo. That's why i'm exploring a turbohead with the M2 or D2. Of course, i expect the throw to be less, but not too much, i hope. Anyone has any pix for comparison? Much thanks in advance.

K-T

*Moderator*
Don't worry, the Steve Ryan turbohead is the LPS turbohead, you didn't miss anything.
wink.gif

On the SFDB Steve Ryan claimed that the 2,5" Turbohead from LPS that is called SRTH has his initials therefor some call it the Steve Ryan Turbohead. By the way: is that true that the turbohead was called after his initials or is that just by accident?

Klaus.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Now there's a birthday dinner to get green over!!!!! Definately wet noodle lashing for you too!!! :)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I find the 2 1/2 " turbo head on a 6P with the N1 bulb to throw as far as the UltraStinger, though less brightly. It's still quite useful at hundreds of feet...
come to think of it, I think I'll compare the 6P w turbo to the 12PM with turbo tonight...