RA Clicky or Nitecore SR3

eric_wolf

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to decide between an RA Clicky (170 lumen) vs the Nitecore SR3 (220 lumen). It seems the SR3 will be brighter, has the smart ring interface and will be more affordable. On the surface the SR3 has a lot going for it based on those factors. That much said, that is looking at some specs - not holding the flashlights in my hand and using them.

Does anyone out there own both of these lights? Can you give me some opinions one way or the other?

Thanks!

Polklifer

Newly Enlightened
I own both of these lights and I prefer the RA. But preference is a very personal thing and depends to some extent on your intended use.

The SR3 – like all of the Nitecore products I've owned – is very well made a looks like it ought to be able to stand a lot of abuse. The switch has performed flawlessly and the preset output levels ought to suit most people although the low could be a little lower. I bought one of the 18650 body tubes from 4Sevens and the combination makes a powerful light that runs for quite some time before I have to swap out batteries. This is the light I use for dog patrol in the evenings. It's good for sweeping the trees for owls and the distant corners for coyotes.

But, for EDC the RA wins hands down. It's as much about tactile sensation as it is features. There is something about the feel of the RA in my hand that is difficult to explain. If I were unfamiliar with the RA and the Novatac flashlights and a designer asked me to describe the perfect illumination tool this is probably what I would end up describing. The weight, the size, the texture of the finish, all of these attributes are about perfect. Couple that with a great beam and simple UI and it's hard to beat.

I carry the SR3, but I fondle the RA. That sounds a little sick, doesn't it?

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I've been reading about the SR3 switch problems reported in the past. I have no idea if this is still a problem with some units being sold now. Does anyone know if this problem has been corrected entirely on the units now being sold?

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sick? A little bit, but I know just what you mean.

I have a Ra Clicky 140GT and an SR3. I really like both but they are very different.

Ra - 4 Programmable levels, pocket friendly, nice to hold ( See post above for graphic description), Good UI, diffuse beam that graduates from hot spot to even floody surround.

SR3 - 8 preset levels, hidden strobe, rugged, easy to use, throwy spot beam with useful surround, more lanyard holes than you can shake a stick at.

It may come down to how you intend to carry it - I couldn't imagine keeping the SR3 in a trouser pocket - I holster mine on my belt - the Ra is easier to pocket carry - and it has fewer bits to dig into your leg.

I do not expect you to be dissatisfied with either light, it may be the question was "which should I buy first?" They both rock!

Good luck with your purchase.

eric_wolf

Newly Enlightened
If I have to go outside and illuminate my yard is the SR3 a markedly better thrower? If this aspect of the light were key does the SR3 win hands down or is it only marginally better?

Thanks!

chef4850

Enlightened
I have both lights a RA170 and the SR3 both are great lights but if I was to choose one I would get the RA. As far as the throw the SR3 is a little better. A little better! You would be very discriminating to find fault with either light RA'a beam is just sooooo smooth.

chef

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also remember that you can get the Ra with the Narrow beam option, which will help with throw.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both lights a RA170 and the SR3 both are great lights but if I was to choose one I would get the RA. As far as the throw the SR3 is a little better. A little better! You would be very discriminating to find fault with either light RA'a beam is just sooooo smooth.

chef

I haven't got a 170 so it is possible that the beams throw is similar and the hotspot of the SR3 is smaller than the Ra - They are both really great I would say. For direct comparison of sizes only - a few pics.
4005033568_4760c517cd.jpg
4004266789_abc26419a1.jpg

4004264659_047b163c35.jpg

If I had to choose it would be the Ra - but it comes from a long line of very good lights designed by the same engineer( Arc +4, HDS, Novatac, Twisty)

If you buy the SR3 - you will eventually get the Ra later - If you buy the Ra first - you may leave it at that?

eric_wolf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info and photos!

I haven't got a 170 so it is possible that the beams throw is similar and the hotspot of the SR3 is smaller than the Ra - They are both really great I would say. For direct comparison of sizes only - a few pics.
4005033568_4760c517cd.jpg
4004266789_abc26419a1.jpg

4004264659_047b163c35.jpg

If I had to choose it would be the Ra - but it comes from a long line of very good lights designed by the same engineer( Arc +4, HDS, Novatac, Twisty)

If you buy the SR3 - you will eventually get the Ra later - If you buy the Ra first - you may leave it at that?