18650 or CR123

Stol3n

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Eagletac T20C2 in this weekend and it came with a couple of "free batteries" that were supplied with my purchase. I've been looking for replacement batteries for whenever these run out and I'm considering swapping over to the 18650 style batteries. I would like to purchase the best 18650 rechargeable batteries & charger that I can for the light. Should I swap over to the 18650's, and if so what are the best batteries/charger I can buy? Thanks for any future input! :twothumbs

henry1960

Enlightened
Me personally i rather have a 18650 AW battery then two 123`s all day long.

18650 AW is a excellent and better runtimes then two 123 batteries :clap:

Vicvic

Newly Enlightened
the best 18650 rechargeable batteries & charger that I can for the light.

For Eagletac T20C2 :

+Pila IBC charger (or hobby charger).
+AW Protected 18650 ( 2200mAH ) ---- *Button Top Cell

18650 max mode: 3 hr 11m to 50% (direct-drive) ,---------------------------med: 9 hr 2 min (flat)
RCR123 max mode 49 min to 50% (flat and more output) --------------------med: 4 hr 35 min (flat)
CR123A max mode 1 hr 40min to 50%

Selfbuilt review:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/239321

The question of using the new higher capacity flat-top 18650s (i.e. protected 2600mAh) has been surfacing a lot lately.

Like a number of recently released 18650-class lights, the T20C2 features physical reverse polarity protection in the head (i.e. requires the use of button-top cells). As such, some of the newer flat-top 18650s may not work in this light without modification.
For example: magnet
If you look at the graphs, you will see what I mean - compare the 18650 Max run to the max runs on other batteries. The other batteries are flat light output (i.e. circuit regulated) until nearly exhausted. The 18650 slowly decays until it eventually "falls off the ski slope" and rapidly depletes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this pattern - it is in fact more efficient to simply rely on the internal resistance of the 18650. But many users like the idea of constant light output provided by circuity. The problem is that for various electrical reasons, it is very difficult to design a circuit that can be fully regulated at max output across the voltages ranges of all battery types. The lights that typically manage this feat do so by reducing max output on 1x18650.

Personally, I consider this pattern to be a more than acceptable trade-off. As for batteries. I typically recommend single-sources whenever possible, such as 1x18650 (i.e. removes the risk of potentially mismatched dual-cells). It also has the greatest overall storage capacity this way. AW protected batteries are by far the most popular here, and what I use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by litetube
So, when you mention AW RCR123 Protected you mean 3.7V yes? I want to try them out but havnt seen anywhere that states it is safe to do so. I dont want to blow thelight up and figure out the hard way that you meant 3.0volts AW or something.

Yes, I used AW protected 3.7V RCR (~4.2V fully charged), without a problem. Although the EagleTac literature makes no mention of these, I (and others) have tested them without incident so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazigee
So would I be better off going with a rechargeable RCR123 than with and 18650?

As for RCR - well, only if you want a quarter the runtime for a frankly neglible increase in output. It's a much better idea all around to stick with 1x18650.

Last edited:

Stol3n

Newly Enlightened

over 200 views and only 2 replys ??? :rant:

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
AW's button top 18650 or Eagletac's own 18650 cells.

Pila's IBC charger.

That's it, you can spend more or less and you can get the same performance or worse. Not getting much better than these.

Last edited:

Stol3n

Newly Enlightened
AW's button top 18650 or Eagletac's own 18650 cells.

Pila's IBC charger.

That's it, you can spend more or less and you can get the same performance or worse. Not getting much better than these.

Thanks! I will be ordering the AW's & Pila Charger. :thumbsup:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW 18650's and Pila :D

Theres another reply for you

:D

Also, if there is a rechargable route with a light, I will take that route.

Robert_M

Newly Enlightened
Vicvic (and the others) have the best recommendation. I've been very happy with my AW 18650 (2200 mAh, button top) batteries and my Pila charger. Be careful NOT to get the 2600 mAh AW batteries since they are flat top and will not work in many flashlights.