fenix tk40 misconceptions?

lemonvr6

Newly Enlightened
I'm on the verge of buying a TK40. I have some specific questions that I have been seeing multiple answers to, so here they are:

-Does the light go into thermal protection after ~15 min on its highest mode? Fenix says yes, many reviews indicate that it will run on turbo until the batteries conk out without interruption.

-How bad is the parasitic drain? I will be using eneloops, with alkalines as a last resort in an emergency.

-I'm not a fan of too many levels, and do not need a strobe. Is the UI fairly easy to use?

Thanks in advance.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
After six months of use I can report my experience:

- thermal protection: what you say might happen in a very hot environment but it does not happen normally

- the parasitic drain has been measured and it takes more than one year to drain a set of eneloops; besides the light has a lockout facility (loosening the head) that prevents any drain

- the UI is easy to use and you never see strobe or SOS if you don't want to.

ubetit

Newly Enlightened
1. I walk the dog with mine and it hasn't happened yet.

2. I'll never know. I use the light too much. If you want an emergency light get a 2 x123.

3. Ui is easy.

Larbo

Enlightened
1. I have not run mine more then 5 minutes at a time on turbo, gets rather warm. Also not about to let it cook and find out. BTW high (277 lumens is not bad)

2. There are a number of threads discussing this, not an issue if used often.

3.Very simple UI, dont have to toggle through strobe flash.

Had mine for 3 months and love it.

lovecpf

McJagger

Newly Enlightened
It's a good light, no doubt. The Ui is great, no problem there. The parasitic drain is present, but if you intend to use the light regularly you won't even notice it. It also is no problem at all for the batteries (else batteries in wall clocks would kill batteries non-stop).

Nevertheless, if you do not already own a set of 16 eneloops and a 8x charger, wait a month or two and take the TK30, a nice charger and a set of 18650's.

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
Never had the light shut off on me because of heat issues...

The Drain is there but if your re using Ene's who cares....just charge em every so often.

The UI is easy and the strobe functions will nver get in the way if you dont want them to.

Great light and bright as hell..

I just wish they had a button on the top of the tube...Like a Stinger or a Pelican 7060.

Hawk600

Newly Enlightened