• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: Red 2D mag w/ neutral white MCE and maxflex3 driver (LOWER PRICE)

netprince

Enlightened
I am interested in building a 3xMCE light :twothumbs, and I have two of these, so one has to go :mecry:. Here are the specs and pictures:

Stats:

Standard 2D Mag host
Cree MC-E 5A, wired in serial
Fivemega medium orange peel aluminum reflector, modified for fit
maxflex3 driver, set for 700ma (installed with copper coupler as heatsink)
fivemega 6AA -> 2D battery adapter, filled with eneloops (included)
ultra-clear glass lens
green afterglow installed around emitter
battery stat indicator under rubber button (haven't found clear boot)
estimated lumens: about 600

Pictures:

IMG_3113%28400%29.JPG

IMG_3114%28400%29.JPG

IMG_3116%28400%29.JPG

IMG_3117%28400%29.JPG

IMG_3120%28400%29.JPG

The light is in very good condition, it has been stored in a pelican style gun case, and only used occasionally. There are a few very light scratches, I tried to photograph the worst one in the last photo above.

beamshots:

I usually de-focus the head just enough to get rid of the MCE donut. The beam does have artifacts while up close, but they are mostly smoothed away after about 15 meters.

IMG_0603%28352%29.JPG

IMG_0604%28352%29.JPG

UI:

Currently, I have the driver set to no-memory operation, click-on to level 2. To select high, I click the light on, then press to jump to high. To select one of the 5 levels, start with the light off, and press and hold until the light cycles to the desired level. Also, I have the light set to auto-off after 15 minutes without input, and reduce power after the temperature reaches 60c. I can look up the low battery settings if anyone is interested.

I can adjust the UI for you before shipping if you like.

I posted a table of the approximate power settings and runtime here:
http://www.psyc.vt.edu/lenslight/power_settings.html

I am asking $149 shipped conus. First to post 'I'll take it' has priority. Payment accepted via paypal, will PM you my address.

Please feel free to ask questions...

Thanks!

Last edited:

OceanView

Enlightened
Re: FS: Red 2D mag w/ neutral white MCE and maxflex3 driver

Nice build. Does this still retain the stock focussing capability? It sounds like it does from your comment, but I just wanted to be sure. I usually use my Mags very de-focused and only tightly focus it for occasional spotting tasks. Thanks!

netprince

Enlightened

Thanks!

The light does focus all the way from spot to flood, but it is not quite the same way as a stock mag. A stock mag can be adjusted from spot to flood in about 1/2 to 2/3 a turn because it uses a cam to adjust the focus. This light cant have a cam installed because of the heatsink used to cool the LED. That means it takes about 3-4 full turns to adjust from spot to flood.

netprince

Enlightened

Someone help me out... Is it too expensive or is there just no interest?:thinking:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks nice.

I just bought a Red 2D M@g (two weeks ago), but it's bi-pin so I'm not your buyer.

(**edit - that's an expensive board: near the beginning of your post write about the maxflex's options, note the great efficiency and the strong customer service taskled provides. Reprogram output to maximum, take a beam-shot lighting up the side of a dark building. Redo the shot with the light on minimum.)
You could put up two additional out-door beamshots: target at 50 feet (attractive partner, tree, building). Set up a 2D stock M@g incan next to your 2D M@g mc-e. First shot both spot, next shot both flood.

And a bump for a fellow minty Red 2D M@g
G'luck
Linger

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast

Someone help me out... Is it too expensive or is there just no interest?:thinking:

it a very fair price. great design and build and parts even batteries included.

id definitely take it now if money wasnt so tight

:broke:

everyone wants the latest and greatest shiny bling, but id take a light like this over 95% of the new releases.

function>form.

ill contact you in a few days, i might be able to rustle up some xmas money early ;)

or

i could do some cash and 2 or 3 interesting hosts and some parts if your interested in a box of moddable things + cash?

if you have any interest in that deal contact me and ill list what there is and a few photos.

Last edited:

netprince

Enlightened

Linger: Thats a good idea, I'll try to snap some outdoor beam shots tonight.

waddup: I'm not interested in any trades, but I can do this... Exclude the batteries for $15 off, and/or pay via money order or cashier's check for $15 off.

Thanks. Feel free to ask any more questions...

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast

Linger: Thats a good idea, I'll try to snap some outdoor beam shots tonight.

waddup: I'm not interested in any trades, but I can do this... Exclude the batteries for $15 off, and/or pay via money order or cashier's check for $15 off.

Thanks. Feel free to ask any more questions...

id need the batteries :thinking:

netprince

Enlightened

Here are some bad beamshots... Its 40 degrees and raining outside, and I didn't want to get too soaked, so just snapped these quickly...

This is the side of a hill, about 25 meters away. My wife was holding the light off to the right side of me. The light appears brighter than this, but I didn't have time to correct because the camera was slowly getting soaked...

redmag_low.JPG

lowest setting

redmag_on.JPG

Level2

redmag_high.JPG

high

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast

umbrella? :candle:

afraidofdark

Enlightened

That's a mighty nice looking build. Wish I didn't just spend all my cash at my auto mechanic on Monday :broke:

How does the battery stat indicator work?

netprince

Enlightened

The stat indicator is a green LED that flashes once every few seconds to indicate the voltage has dropped below the medium setting, and flashes twice every few seconds to indicate the voltage has dropped below the low setting. The maxflex driver can also flicker the primary LED to indicate the battery status. Some might find the battery status on the primary led to be annoying, so it can be turned off. The stat LED always indicates the battery status.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to source some clear switch boots so that the stat LED can be easily seen...

netprince

Enlightened

Another beamshot from just after the light was built...

red_2d_mag.JPG

swiftwing

Newly Enlightened

I'm a tad tempted by this to be honest. You mention that you had 2 of these, what colour is the other one and would you consider selling that instead? Not too keen on the red.

Hammer Train

Banned

Would i be able to transplant the workings ie switch, heatsink, driver and led into my 1d host or is it sealed?

netprince

Enlightened

Hi Hammer Train,

No, the parts are not sealed, so they could be moved to a 1D host. Except this setup prefers and input voltage of 6-12v, and it could have problems with less than 6v. I'm not sure what battery combination you would like to use, but I wouldn't recommend going less than 6v...

Latest posts