I know many of Flashlight experts hate Streamlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying to convience guys at work that Streamlight is not the "Best" flashlight company and that they are using outdated tech..in their lights.

can some of you experts help me with some talking points and how to explain to them that their streamlights are kind of junk when compared to the Fenix's, Sure Fire's.............ect.

Thanks for the help!

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight has some very high end weapon lights... I think it would be best if you were specific on models.

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight has some very high end weapon lights... I think it would be best if you were specific on models.

Thanks!

Correct.. I have a TLR 2 and love it...

I'm talking about the SL20 (LED) and the Stinger series lights (LED)

I never hear them talked about on here and I'm wondering why? I'm sure it's because there is just much better stuff out there...I am looking for examples of why their lights arent talked about here and what makes the other lights better than them...

Thanks

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
can some of you experts help me with some talking points and how to explain to them that their streamlights are kind of junk when compared to the Fenix's, Sure Fire's.............ect.

Thanks for the help!
The second you said you wanted to explain how Streamlight is junk, you showed that you don't have the first clue what you're talking about.
I can, however, make a strong case for lights like Fenix being junk, and Surefire's overpriced in comparison.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight makes good solid products at reasonable prices. Fenix may have better electronics in some cases but their quality of construction is not as good. Surefire has better products in some ways but they are much more expensive. Pelican and Inova both make some good products that can compete with Streamlight.

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I guess theyre not junk...

Why arent they talked about here more often? I just have heard from certain people that they are outdated and are junk. And since I never see them talked about here I figured that was the case...

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
The second you said you wanted to explain how Streamlight is junk, you showed that you don't have the first clue what you're talking about.
I can, however, make a strong case for lights like Fenix being junk, and Surefire's overpriced in comparison.

I will be the first one to tell you I dont have any idea what I'm talking about......Hint: Thats why I'm on a forum asking for help and asking questions.

I would be verry intrested in hearing about how Fenix lights are junk though

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be verry intrested in hearing about how Fenix lights are junk though
It's all relative. To be clear, I didn't say Fenix are junk, but from what I've seen they don't make particularly reliable products, and I could therefore make the case that they are junk in comparison to Streamlight(whose products are extremely reliable in my experience).

Streamlight doesn't get much discussion here because they're boring. They make lights that are fairly plain, moderately priced, relatively low on features, and rarely anything resembling state of the art technology.
So they don't appeal to the bargain hunters, the collectors, the techno-geeks, the wannabe tactical types...anyone looking for something beyond a simple, practical tool.
Buying a Streamlight is kind of like buying a screwdriver. It may be exactly what you need, but it doesn't generate a lot of excitement.

futurelawguy

Newly Enlightened
It's all relative. To be clear, I didn't say Fenix are junk, but from what I've seen they don't make particularly reliable products, and I could therefore make the case that they are junk in comparison to Streamlight(whose products are extremely reliable in my experience).

Streamlight doesn't get much discussion here because they're boring. They make lights that are fairly plain, moderately priced, relatively low on features, and rarely anything resembling state of the art technology.
So they don't appeal to the bargain hunters, the collectors, the techno-geeks, the wannabe tactical types...anyone looking for something beyond a simple, practical tool.
Buying a Streamlight is kind of like buying a screwdriver. It may be exactly what you need, but it doesn't generate a lot of excitement.

Exactly what I wanted to know.....Thanks..

So Part of what I was assuming was correct. But they do make a good product. I'm just getting into the Flashlights and have started aquiring them because of work....I have heard some flashaholics talk trash about streamlight and never see them talked about here so I just figured they lost their edge and fell way behind.

I will say they are smart in their marketing because they are one of the only companies that markets to Police Officers seriously.

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
streamlight makes equipment for profesionals and they test products before they send them out for production. I will bet that they have and are testing the latest multi die emitters and ui's, but they wont release something until it has a track record. My guess is there are more le's and ff's (non military) that cary streamlite products than surefire and fenix put together.

why,

because streamlite looks at pratical applications for a specific use, such as incorporating a blue navigation light for tracking in smoke. or designing a multi switch stinger for tactical and normal operation.

alo notice how streamlite has simple user interfaces, ones that you will be guranteed to work when the s$it hits the fan.

brightness isnt everything if one drop to the floor makes the light go poof.

I have never had a problem with a streamlite product

bottom line: good product intended for profesionals who depend on light that works when you turn on the switch

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight junk? Not even close.
Streamlight not innovative?
--First full size rechargeable duty light-SL series
--First mid size rechargeable duty light-Stinger
--First and only full size hybrid LED/incan-20x/LED
--First use of an integrated lamp/reflector assembly-SL series
--First U.S. made rechargeable li-ion: Strion
--First U.S. made rechargeable li-ion LED: Strion-LED

Streamlight outdated? They use the same Cree LED as a majority of all the other manufacturers. What's outdated (and, no, an incan. isn't outdated technology)?

Streamlight DOMINATES the law enforcement market because they make solid, reliable lights.

Contrary to popular, internet, belief, there's not a lot of use for SOS, multi-modes, strobe on a light. Most users want the light to work, without all the bizarre modes and user interface issues.

Why they're not talked about: Because they don't use CPF as their sole source of user wants, unlike several of the overseas based lights.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I always though the Sidewinder series was pretty innovative myself. Streamlight isn't talked about as much because they tend to make the same lights for a long time. They don't follow the increasing brightness marketing rut most of the recent Chinese makers have been wearing down. They innovate slowly because their customer base does not want nor need several new models of lights a year.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe any officer here uses a Maglite anymore. However half use SureFire and the other half use Streamlight. When my dad still worked here he used a Streamlight Stinger religiously.

Cops don't need 300 lumen ultra chinese 5 mode strobe with SOS.

Illum

Flashaholic
Ok so I guess theyre not junk...

Why arent they talked about here more often?

What doesn't get mentioned here doesn't mean its junk. It's simply that the products, while suited for their intended purpose, is not parallel to the interests of the members in this forum.

If customers operate the same way you're describing flashlights than grocery stores will go out of business unless they advertise every single item they have in their inventory 24/7 to ensure that they are being talked about and therefore "buy-able":crackup:

On the forum its to each his own [YMMV], you may use someones experience as a benchmark but you really shouldn't base your own judgments on someone else's logic. I've owned many steamlights, from the key-mate to TL-3s and boy do they make good products. After I switched over to other companies for personal reasons I continued using Streamlight cr123As

The only disadvantage of Streamlight products is the limited "mod ability," most lights Streamlight makes cannot be improved upon by its users to the extend of LED swaps and high output lamp retrofits. To many off the forum this is a not a negative factor, but on the forum it certain may be

Last edited:

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may not be a flashlight expert, but I do think highly of Streamlight, second only to Surefire in overall quality, reliability, innovation, and focus on public safety occupations. Fenix? No.

I was at some night fire training last week and one SWAT officer was shining a very bright light around. I thought, "What is that thing?" I got closer and saw it was a Stinger LED.

I used a Stinger incandescent for about 10 years hunting and arresting people at night and taped a Strion incandescent to a .308 semi auto for a rifle class with no problems.

Mikellen

Enlightened
Some of my most used lights are Streamlight, the Strion LED, Microstream, and Stylus. Streamlight has great customer service also, I would say on par with Surefire. I've had a problem with my Strion LED when I first bought it and Streamlight sent me a UPS postage paid return label through e-mail. I returned the light and within a week I had a new flashlight.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to convience guys at work that Streamlight is not the "Best" flashlight company and that they are using outdated tech..in their lights.

Thanks for the help!
Streamlight makes EXCELLENT duty lights for LEOs/firemen/SAR/Mining industry etc. They make great workhorses, not toys to impress your office buddies.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight does make some crappy stuff. Not that the quality isn't good, but the overall execution leaves a lot to be desired in many models. They also make some good stuff. They're not my favorite. I prefer Surefire. Their models are more LEO friendly. Tail clickies, etc. A lot of the Streamlights have tiny little side mounted buttons which SUCK big time for LEO work.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been pulled over by 30-50 LEO's in 6 states. All but 3 had Streamlight lights. 2 had Surefire 9P's, and 1 had a Rechargeable Mag.

Just based on that, I'd say that Streamlight is pretty reliable. I am trying to convince some of the local officers to carry a backup light though. Something with a low level, as they tended to complain about their high-output lights when writing out my fix-it tickets :ohgeez:

gorn

Enlightened
I carried a stinger in my sap pocket from the time the were released. It was a great backup light. I never had a problem with any streamlight over the years. When I moved to Detectives the stinger went into my briefcase. As to the comment about side buttons sucking for LEO, I have no idea what the OP of that was thinking. Twisties suck for LEO imo but side and tail switches are fine. Most of the lights I used on duty, back to the pre Kel-light days had some type of side switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.