Looking for a kick *** but not large or expensive LED flashlight

Kuryakin

Enlightened
OK, decided that Li-ion is the way to fly for lots of energy in a small space without NiMH and NiCd headaches.

The Spider Fire looks interesting, certainly is the right price, and it looks like it has some competitors. Is it decent, should I look more?

I've pored over this forum a plenty, so, now, looking for people who have actually bought various Li-ion LED flashlights, and what they like, don't like etc., about them.

Let me know!

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say Li-ion, do you mean rechargeable, or primary?

And, just so you know, there have been many threads where people who have purchased lights (spiderfire, etc.) from Chinese websites have had to send them back two to three times (at a waiting period of 2-3 months each way) before they get a light that works.

We here on CPF have what we like to call the "triangle of choices". Basically, you can choose two of the three following: cheap, bright, good. Two and only two.

I would really suggest you save up some cash, and take a look at the Fenix, or 4Sevens Quark line's, and decide what you want. Fenix and Quark's can be purchased online, and are generally well reviewed.

Kuryakin

Enlightened
Definitely rechargeable. Preferably 18650 cell or cells.
I certainly don't mind spending $$$ for good stuff, but hey, often there's no need.
I shall check the ones you mentioned, and thanks!

When you say Li-ion, do you mean rechargeable, or primary?

And, just so you know, there have been many threads where people who have purchased lights (spiderfire, etc.) from Chinese websites have had to send them back two to three times (at a waiting period of 2-3 months each way) before they get a light that works.

We here on CPF have what we like to call the "triangle of choices". Basically, you can choose two of the three following: cheap, bright, good. Two and only two.

I would really suggest you save up some cash, and take a look at the Fenix, or 4Sevens Quark line's, and decide what you want. Fenix and Quark's can be purchased online, and are generally well reviewed.

sparkysko

Enlightened
They all pretty much run the same emitters, if it's not a 'large' light, then it's not running an MC-E or other multi-die emitter, nor is it probably overdriving a cree.

Most modern cree lights output pretty much the same amount of light (especially on li-ion). One would hope that most of these lights are outputting around 700mA to the emitter (Except the single AA quark which does 350mA). You pretty much have to double the light output to really appreciate the difference in brightness, which isn't really going to happen in non large lights.

Sooo. Most of the lights are around the same brightness, so what's different?

Beam shape. The size of the hotspot relative to the spill. I'd prefer either a very large hotspot or alot of the light output going into the spill if I were walking around.

Form factor. How small do you want? Longer runtimes needs larger size.

Quality? If I wanted to buy ONE light, I'd make sure it had type 3 anodizing (Although it doesn't really help once you've dropped it on the pavement). Generally type 3 is for the more expensive lights and is my loose indicator for quality.

Modes? Do you want single mode, multi modes, programmable modes, do you hate flipping through strobe/sos modes (as I do).

For cheap $20, I'd go with Akoray k106. Fit and finish are excellent, and with newer driver they've been putting in them, there's not really any area I'd be concerned about failing.

For high quality around ~$50 you can go with a fenix, a nitecore d10 a liteflux lf5xt or a quark.

Personally I like small, single cell lights AA size lights. They're easy to carry and easy to find batteries for in an emergency. I don't like my lights to go into medium mode first (like the traditional 5 mode lights). I want one click and for it go to on HIGH, and then whatever other modes afterwards.

Last edited:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
you can buy a solarforce L2 kit with either an 18650 batt (i'd recommend it) or the 2xRCR123s and the appropriate charger, and a 200ish lumen output all for less than $40, solarforce has a pretty good name, and if you ever get the itch, face melting goodness is only a drop-in away. The light also comes with a holster and all, its a surefire 6P clone, and holds it own pretty well.

For a battery, charger, dropin, and a host, $40 ain't bad at all.

Kuryakin

Enlightened
All righty then! Here goes..

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

__x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
____I am in North America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in South America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Europe. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in the Middle East. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Africa. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Asia, Japan or Micronesia. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Australia. More precisely I am in _______________.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
____I can spend $15-30.
____I could spend $40-60.
__x__I am willing to spend $80-$120.
____I have no limit!

2) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
__x__I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

____I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
__x__2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

___x_I don't care.
____I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
__x Li-ion__I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
____I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
__x__I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|x----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
___x_60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
__x__I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

___x_I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
_x___I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

___x_I don't care.
____I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
___x_Waterproof – how deep: _____3 feet________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, having read your checklist, you might want to look at a Nitecore D10 running on a 14500 cell. Head on over here, they're having a closeout sale of surplus nitecores with discounts of up to 30% on certain models. The D10 is going for 25% off if i recall correctly.

D10 is extremely durable (check youtube for nitcore d10) and has infinite variable brightness as well. I own an EX10 and i love it.

Kuryakin

Enlightened
Alas, out of stock, and I think I want something brighter. Hence the reason I want the 18650 cell or cells, as well as I don't mind burning through these every our or two if I can recharge them! Li-ion being the kick *** technology that it is... Working on a Phlatlight hack for my Makita 18v Li-ion flashlight for that reason. <G> But that's another thread...

ok, having read your checklist, you might want to look at a Nitecore D10 running on a 14500 cell. Head on over here, they're having a closeout sale of surplus nitecores with discounts of up to 30% on certain models. The D10 is going for 25% off if i recall correctly.

D10 is extremely durable (check youtube for nitcore d10) and has infinite variable brightness as well. I own an EX10 and i love it.

Quacker

Newly Enlightened
OK, decided that Li-ion is the way to fly for lots of energy in a small space without NiMH and NiCd headaches.

The Spider Fire looks interesting, certainly is the right price, and it looks like it has some competitors. Is it decent, should I look more?

I've pored over this forum a plenty, so, now, looking for people who have actually bought various Li-ion LED flashlights, and what they like, don't like etc., about them.

Let me know!

If you have already "pored over this forum a plenty," then i am surprised that you have chosen to buy the Spider Fire light. Take it from me, you are better off spending a little more on reputable brands such as Fenix, Lumapower, Tiablo, Solarforce etc etc than to waste your money on garbage such as Spider Fire/Ultrafire, DX lights etc.
I've bought about 7 of those garbage lights and to this day - I have given away all of them because ALL of them have broken down.
On the other hand, my Fenix, Solarforce, Novatac, Dereelight, Lumapower and Surefire have no problems whatsoever.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Nitecore Extreme.

Will out-throw just about anything else on a single cell and meets all your other requirements except that it runs on 123 cells (rechargeable or primary) rather than 18650. The small size does make it excellent for pocket carry though.

Plus - it is E-Series compatible, so you might be able to pick up a suitable larger body at a later date.

Kuryakin

Enlightened
Nope, in fact, you guys have convinced me NOT to buy the Spider Fire.

I am set on 18650 batteries, just for the high energy density. And, of course, rechargeability and long shelf life for the charge. That is important to me. Pocketability is nice, and I am pocketing a 3 AAA Dorcy (yes, it sucks) with ease so, bigger than most people think of when it comes to pocketable. And a belt holster would solve that problem anyway. But I'd rather not go so huge as a C or D cell light. Although, 900 lumens would be very nice indeed... I'm exploring and researching underground abandoned military bunkers! Among other uses...

If you have already "pored over this forum a plenty," then i am surprised that you have chosen to buy the Spider Fire light. Take it from me, you are better off spending a little more on reputable brands such as Fenix, Lumapower, Tiablo, Solarforce etc etc than to waste your money on garbage such as Spider Fire/Ultrafire, DX lights etc.
I've bought about 7 of those garbage lights and to this day - I have given away all of them because ALL of them have broken down.
On the other hand, my Fenix, Solarforce, Novatac, Dereelight, Lumapower and Surefire have no problems whatsoever.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
Take a peak at the EagleTAC T20C2. Great light, very bright, and they are fixing that strobe issue it had. Make sure it is one of the revised ones(not sure if they are out yet though)

For a little more money than the EagleTAC, there is the Olight M20. Also a great light, a little better build than the EagleTAC. None of the typical EagleTAC quirks (strobe issue)

AndrewZorn

Newly Enlightened
I do believe the Solarforce L2 can be the cheap, bright AND good flashlight.

I have one next to a 6P right in front of me. They are not identical, the 6P is definiely more rugged and heavier, but there are things to like about the L2 too (threaded tail switch, metal front bezel WHICH NOW COMES WITH THE L2 ON DEALEXTREME).

Even if you do not consider the L2 to be equal to the 6P it doesn't mean it isn't GOOD, it just means it isn't as good as the 6P. I think in all practicality it is just as good.

The drop-in quality is another matter. DX drop-ins ARE cheap, but I think their price makes them a good value... the 'good' ones are much better but cost much more.
EDIT this comes from someone who doesn't own any of the really nice ones... yes. But just saying that in terms of price/performance I think one has to give it to DX.

But yeah, hated to see the new arrival at DX. L2M with steel bezel and Solarforce R2 for $15.
I paid $15 for my L2 (yes, longer, and worth more than the L2M body) body alone. $11 for a comparable drop-in. $5 for the steel bezel.

Last edited:

duboost

Enlightened
Maybe an MG PLI?

The Solarforce is another good choice combined with a nailbender drop in of your choice. MC-E, P7, SST-90 etc

Information Exchanger

Newly Enlightened
I read your checklist and have another light for you to look at based upon my many hours looking at lots of lights, and buying hundreds of dollars worth of lights. The one I think would meet what you want can be found at Superbrightleds.com model #ITL-15 (just about the only flashlight they sell) It has a Cree 7090 XR - E R2, a very high quality build, a really great bright light pattern, will put out 205 lumens, or 130 lumens, or variable down to less than 10 which will make your single AA battery last for 50 - 80 hours. It is small and really puts out, and will use almost any AA battery, as well as a 3.7V rechargable lith-ion that raises the output up from 130 lumens to 205 lumens, and it does really light up a room, or a campsite. Go to there website and check out all of the specs. I bought one, and it measured up exactly as presented, then I bought two more, and they are all excellent, and come from Missouri with a two year warranty. It costs $39.95 and appears to be their store brand as that is the name embossed upon it. Superbrightleds.com Model # ITL - 15

Kuryakin

Enlightened
To be sure, the Jetbeam looks well made and full of features. Pricey, but good stuff tends to be. Do they have anything with a more kick *** light source?