Surefire 6PL - a pleasant surprise

Gatsby

Enlightened
I picked up a Surefire 6PL this weekend, inspired by a few things. I'd wanted to try another Surefire after enjoying an E2e but not using it very often and selling it. I was also interested in getting into some of the SF lego options and the 6P is the classic host (and I'm not crazy about the C2 form factor). And I happened to be in Lowe's... they had one left. The fit and finish is, well, very nice as I expected. I wish it were HAIII but perhaps I can sink my teeth into the E series as well, but the HAII is uniform, machining is top notch and everything was well lubricated and functioning perfectly out of the box. I didn't expect anything less but I can see the different between it and my CL1H - and I think the CL1H is a lot of light for the buck and overall well designed - but the Surefire does feel a bit more, well, solid.

I have a few Dereelight drop ins around the house so I thought figured I'd swap out the P60L and either save it as a backup or perhaps sell it. I open the package and after all the underwhelming reviews of the P60L I expected to be very "meh" about it - and was rather pleasantly surprised. The tint is cool when compared to my Novatac 120P which is rather creamy, but definitely not purple or bluish as many have complained. And the output on two primaries at least was very respectable - I compared it to my 120P on max and it is a bit difficult to compare output given the different beam shapes, but it certainly wasn't overwhelmed so it looked to be in the same ballpark at least. And it completely drowned out my LF3XT on maximum. And a rather nice beam - well balanced with decent throw and a very usable sidespill. I wanted to check out the Dereelights so I did move it but ... I don't think it will be going anywhere too soon...

I have three Dereelight drop ins - a Q5 2SM which due to the reverse polarity and mechanical two stage operation really needs to be run in my CL1H host; and two that I've used in the 6PL - a Q2 5A 3SD (3-8.4v input) and a Q5 3SD (2.7-4.2v input). I had been running the Q2 in my CL1H on an 18500 and the difference in output between it and the Q5 made it difficult to use it consistently. In the 6P with two primaries output definitely seemed increased - I'm not sure if this is intentional or not or it if is just my imagination and it was quite a nice beam. The Q5 was equally fine on a 17670 (which fits easily) in the 6PL. The P60L also ran just fine (runtime unknown however) on a 17670. Obviously the host doesn't have a whole ton to do with the out put from a drop in - using the same batteries there was no difference in terms of output. I did want to see how the stock z43(?) tailcap worked and it does better with a digital pill than I expected in terms of usability. It is more difficult to go from momentary to constant but not overly burdensome and most of the time I know when I hit the button whether I'm intending on momentary or constant use - but I can imagine a z49 (I believe that is the SF forward clickie for the C series lights) would be a nice addition.

One interesting note, however, is that with the Dereelight pills the 6P head does not screw all the way down to the anti roll section, there is a tiny gap. In use this doesn't bother me at all but I was a bit surprised that the Dereelight drop in was visibily longer than the P60L, due mostly to the deeper reflector (both OP and SMO).

So overall the 6PL is, for me at least, a bit more than expected and pleasantly so. I was expecting a solid Surefire host, but the P60L was a good bit better than I was anticipating.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your new light. My first SF was a 6p (incan) and it started my obsession with lights. Enjoy your 6p!

tropic1

Newly Enlightened
Yes congrats on your purchase. I am still deciding on Nailbender's sale of LE's or to just go with the Malkoff drop-ins. :thinking:

Gatsby

Enlightened
For some reason I have bought and sold a whole bunch of lights over the past 5+ years or so ... but have never really gotten into Surefires for some reason. I have admittedly been more focused on EDC and pocket lights and that isn't really SF's forte. I had an E2e that was a great and pretty compact light but I didn't use it as I hated burning through primaries - and at the time didn't know enough to explore rechargeable options. So I understood what the fuss was about but just resisted.

One other goal was to take a look at nailbender and gene's drop ins as well - I have some good pocket lights but wouldn't mind a real flamethrower that is still somewhat compact.

It appears hard to go wrong with either.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
congrats on the purchase! i love my 6P and I love my G2, i did upgrade both of the light engines, but they are great little lights!

Size15's

Flashaholic
HAII?

It's either HA or it's not HA.
(It's either Type III or Type II)

It can't be both. There is no such thing as "HAII". That's like say 'Hard Anodised Soft'

Al :nana:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I agree with the OP, my relatively recently manufacturer 6PL had a very acceptable tint and brightness. I was too pleasantly surprised.I have numerous 6PL hosts but never had a factory P60L to compare the imported dropins, and I must admit, the P60L is staying in this light.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Yes congrats on your purchase. I am still deciding on Nailbender's sale of LE's or to just go with the Malkoff drop-ins. :thinking:

my nailbender SST-90 drop-in will be delivered today. :thumbsup: Can you say "wall of light". I'll be putting it in a Solarforce L2 host with 1x18650. I'd like to put it in my 6P but need to bore it out for 18650. I have soemone that can do that but have to wait on him to get his equipment set up. :sigh:

Yeah, I love my 6PL I put in an R2 drop-in. :twothumbs But then I put the old P60L back in cuz I love the floodiness of the beam and put the R2 into my G2L.

dcycleman

Enlightened
yeah, I love my 6pl too, the stock led is staying in it. it rides in a surefire sheath attached to my toolbelt. that light gets the most use of all the the lights I have. I find in real world use that the level of brightness is more than what you need so I wouldnt want to sacrifice runtimes for I brighter dropin. the other day I was using it to crawl through an attic to run a dryer vent out the back of a house. so much better than the crappy lights they have in the battery tool packs.