Is dorcy generally consider to be the best bang for the buck?

BennyLava

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to ask yall's opinion on this. I have been looking around at a lot of the threads here, and it seems like yall love to use Dorcy a lot, for various reasons. Are they like the best value, when it comes to modding and such? Anyway, thanks for reading! - Benny

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
I like Dorcy, and have several -- but I wouldn't choose it for a mod.
Take a look at the Romisen lights (like at Shiningbeam) for both good value and also for modding.

fishx65

Enlightened
Dorcy offers some very nice products and their customer service is awesome.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
They do make some really excellent lights, a few of which have become quite popular here. I have a collection of Dorcy lights and love them.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I just wanted to ask yall's opinion on this. I have been looking around at a lot of the threads here, and it seems like yall love to use Dorcy a lot, for various reasons. Are they like the best value, when it comes to modding and such? Anyway, thanks for reading! - Benny

They actually aren't all that popular on here besides a few isolated models (mostly from several years ago). Some of the current "best" bang for the buck lights generally range from Romisen to Fenix/NiteCore/Quark, etc.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Dorcy lights were a good bang for the buck years back when luxeons 1 and 3 models ruled the market but time rolls on and dorcys offerings haven't kept their cutting edge as well other lights have passed them in value and output.

rockz4532

Enlightened
Dorcy lights were a good bang for the buck years back when luxeons 1 and 3 models ruled the market but time rolls on and dorcys offerings haven't kept their cutting edge as well other lights have passed them in value and output.

Yep, and the fact that most of their models use the dreaded 3aaa carrier.:shakehead

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I can usually find something about every Dorcy light that I dislike....
-3AAA & direct drive
-Out dated emitter driven hard from a large quantity of cells (IE not so bright, long running or efficient for a light its size)
-Plastic lens
-Plastic reflector
-Current conducts through body threads
-Low lumen output compared to other similarly priced lights

So, given my preferences no they are not really a best bang for the buck. As far as hand held lights go Romisen, ITP and Eagletac are my favorite cheap brands and IMHO offer better products for the $$ than Dorcy. Dorcy does make some pretty nice cheap spotlights though.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce. Quality and versatility at a good price.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll go with the crowd and say Romisen since my favorite so far has been Romisen for consistent quality.

BennyLava

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I like maglite as well. I was thinking of modding my D-cell maglite. I already switched the bulb to an LED from a regular. My first step in the right direction! lol

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a big chunk of members in the US, Dorcy has the advantage of being available in many stores. Convenience of purchase might account for some of the perceived popularity.