hyperboost driver

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a thread in the bike subforum, but I know a lot of folk here don't visit it too often.

So, as a short teaser:

hboosttop.jpg

1.4" diameter, single sided components, designed to use thermal pad material to mount to a heatsink.

8 - 50V input, up to 80V output (open circuit protected). Maximum output current 1.3A (adjustable via 11 turn trimpot onboard or used in conjunction with an external 50K pot).

Boost converter, approx 90% efficient for most input/output ranges.

Reverse polarity protected.

Recommended max input current 5A.

cheers,
george.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a thread in the bike subforum, but I know a lot of folk here don't visit it too often.

So, as a short teaser:

1.4" diameter, single sided components, designed to use thermal pad material to mount to a heatsink.

8 - 50V input, up to 80V output (open circuit protected). Maximum output current 1.3A (adjustable via 11 turn trimpot onboard or used in conjunction with an external 50K pot).

Boost converter, approx 90% efficient for most input/output ranges.

Reverse polarity protected.

Recommended max input current 5A.

cheers,
george.

If you have two series li-ion cells what happens when the voltage drops below 8V? This looks to be a very exciting product. Thanks!

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have two series li-ion cells what happens when the voltage drops below 8V? This looks to be a very exciting product. Thanks!

Below 8V the switcher controller will not be able to fully drive the FET and output current will start to drop.

cheers,
george.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow George! I could run a whole string of LEDs with a boost like that! That would be a great replacement in a 7 XR-E mod!

Just in time for the XR-G R4 and S series (speculation) upgrade for my 7 Cree mod.

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
George,

Is is the same OD as in the hipFlex? I ask since the hipFlex that I have did not fit on a Mag "D" but the hipCC does. It would be awesome if the hyperboost worked in a "D" host ;)

Will

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
George,

Is is the same OD as in the hipFlex? I ask since the hipFlex that I have did not fit on a Mag "D" but the hipCC does. It would be awesome if the hyperboost worked in a "D" host ;)

Will

Same as hipFlex, it's 1.4" - I thought you had a lathe? ;)

As you can see from the picture at the top (of this thread), it would be tough to shrink it down much without putting some components on the back side of the board. Besides, with power handling of well over 60W of LEDs I think you would need a big head on a D mag anyway.... You do have a lathe, yes? ;)

cheers,
george.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i noticed this popping up on my weekly visit to taskled.com :)... i found the thread in the bike thread... very exciting.... i have plans for this little bugger! :)

CCHIPO replacement?

Nos

Enlightened
What 80V Boost!!! YES! How many % of the output voltage may the input voltage be? Am i right with ~29% at maximum driving current ? or better 1/3 to be on the safe side?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Same as hipFlex, it's 1.4" - I thought you had a lathe? ;)

As you can see from the picture at the top (of this thread), it would be tough to shrink it down much without putting some components on the back side of the board. Besides, with power handling of well over 60W of LEDs I think you would need a big head on a D mag anyway.... You do have a lathe, yes? ;)

cheers,
george.

George,

I do have a lathe, and started to consider boring out the head size of the "D" body to make the hipFlex driver fit, but I felt there was not enough metal on the thread area of the body to make the driver fit and still have decent strength on that part of the body (reason being that the thread area of the tube/host is of a smaller OD than the OD for the rest of the host, and then you have threads that are about 0.030" deep, making the real thickness even smaller).

Even if there were enough metal, boring the head side of the "D" size host enough to fit the drivers would mean that one would need fully custom heatsinks as none of the "D" size heatsinks would fit in the bigger hole. Since boring would be done by hand (and would vary from host to host), each heatsink would have to be turned to exactly match each host - it needs to be a fairly good fit for a press fit and good thermal transfer, and so that it does not move/slide out with use.

Specifically, if I recall correctly, the ID of the "D" host is about 1.349" (I can check/measure when I get home), so it the drivers were to be a tad smaller than that, they would fit inside the "D" host. If the driver can't be made any smaller, then we will have to figure out bigger hosts to use them, but it would be a pity given the low cost and abundance of parts for the "D" size host.

Will

Last edited:

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, basically a CCHIPO replacement with a major shrink in board size/volume.

Here's a small chart of some measurements I've taken:

hbeff2.gif

Will, point taken, I'll see in a future version if removing 0.05" is feasible. I wanted to keep the driver easy to use, so the pads for soldering power/leds/pot are all on the outside edge and reasonable in size for folk that are sometimes soldering iron challenged :) and that makes for a larger diameter.

Anyhow, time for you to make fully custom lights anyway...

cheers,
george.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
can the hyperboost be control'd by the d2Flex?

I remember someone sanding the hipFlex to fit inside of the MagD tube... anyone remember this?

Last edited:

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
can the hyperboost be control'd by the d2Flex?

Possibly, I need to do some testing to see what needs changing in the d2flex firmware. Obviously d2Flex has a 24V max input voltage, so it would limit the input voltage range that would be supported by the d2flex/hyperboost combo.

I did design hyperboost to be able to take a PWM control signal on its POT+ input, so it is feasible that d2Flex could work. The key difference is that for hipCC a high on its PWM input turns it off, while a low on the hyperboost POT+ input turns it off. So, I would need to 'invert' the sense of the PWM signal for use with hyperboost and possible tweak the PWM frequency/duty cycle limits too.

Anyhow, something to test later next week.

cheers,
george.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
sweet! let us know how it goes...

has anyone found a decent way to waterproof/resistant a external potentiometer?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still haven't received my Evaluation Board :) Looks like a nice addition George!

Mac

wquiles

Flashaholic
The hipFlex will fit, but you would have to do a little modification, and build a nice heatsink like member Hill did here:

Here is the rest of the build:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=3040826&postcount=1

It would be nice to be a bit smaller to fit horizontally with the switch.

Well, yes, I have seen that, and also considered that for my own build, "but", installing the hipFlex that way means you have almost no space for a decent size heatsink for the high power LED (P7, MC-E, etc.), which is needed on most/all applications that would require a hipFlex in the first place :poke:

Will, point taken, I'll see in a future version if removing 0.05" is feasible. I wanted to keep the driver easy to use, so the pads for soldering power/leds/pot are all on the outside edge and reasonable in size for folk that are sometimes soldering iron challenged :) and that makes for a larger diameter.
By the way, I measured the ID carefully today, with various Mag bodies (as the ID varies a little from host to host), and on a "small" ID I measured 1.3481", so that would be the target diameter to hit.

Will

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
George can i run Cutter 7up (7 XPG) with Hyperboost running on 3x18650 with 1A output to LED?