Novatac Retainer ring

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
I have an 85P I want to update the emitter. Well I fought the dad gum bezel tooth and nail, finally went to work had a co-worker chuck it up, just the bezel part in a 1.00" Collet, while I twisted the body, off it came, tons of red loctite in the threads. Now, the retainer ring that secures the pill is not cooperating. Is Their a special wrench that might be available. I hate make something like this, seems like they may have glue this retainer down any recommendations.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
darkzero are you talking about hair dryer heat, I guess I have to look for some really small round nose pliers, I'm guessing you, heat up the assembly then put the tips of the pliers in the little notches on the retainer ring.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
darkzero are you talking about hair dryer heat, I guess I have to look for some really small round nose pliers, I'm guessing you, heat up the assembly then put the tips of the pliers in the little notches on the retainer ring.

Not sure if a hair dryer would get hot enough. I'm referring to a heat gun type. I use a butane torch with a heat blower attachment to pin point heat better. You could also use a small torch for very short exposure. The direct flame won't damage the anodizing. Should take very much heat at all unlike most Surefires.

Some people use the boiling water method. Put it in a bag & drop it in boiling water. I can't comment much on this method as I won't try it that way.

Craft stores like Michaels or Joanns should sell round nose pliers. I got mine from Sears. You could also probably use a get set or retaining ring pliers or even a thin set of needle nose pliers as the backside os the jaws are usually rounded.

kromeke

Enlightened
Re: Novatac Retainer ring tool

I've made a tool for the retainer nut. I'll try to get a picture on Tuesday.

I can forward relevant dimensions also at that time.

Basically it is a turning that you drill 4 holes in first, to take some 0.050" diameter pins. Then turn to shape with a clearance in the center, insert 4 pins, file to make the pins flush. I finished mine with a 1/4 square broach to accept a 1/4 ratchet.

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
I've made a tool for the retainer nut
Kromeke,
I had a castellated socket made at work today it's rough but it engages the retainer ring mating notches, I took it home and tried, just holding it and twisting, the strap wrench can't hold the light body definetly no go. under a 10x loop I'm seeing glue all around the retainer( it's semi clear), not loc-tite like the bezel. can't believe they friggin glued in such a small part like that.

I use heat & round nose pliers, comes right off.
Darkzero,

I'll add the heat if I can get a heat gun from the Avionics lab, they have heat guns, some with fairly small nozzles and I can dial in a set temp. Still seems like I wont' be able to work with it that long before it cools down. I read about another forum member who applied heat and baked his driver, their is risk oh boy.

Thanks for the replies I got a feeling I might be putting this back together and just keeping it an 85P I saw some pictures in a thread where they used a Novatac for parts and pieces and it looked like someone tried to nuke the inards trying to get the retainer out.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a thin center punch to lightly tap alternately at the notches. It did nick up the ring and circuit board some. The head was in a vice, padded of course.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I read about another forum member who applied heat and baked his driver, their is risk oh boy.

That's extreme. I can't imagine heating one up that much to cook the driver. I've applied direct flame to stubborn SureFires with my torch attachment & have never damaged a driver. It's not as hard or troublesome as it may sound.