newby looking for a decent handlebar mounted led

jools182

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I am looking for a decent led flashlight that has a wide spread (not sure if thats the right termonology) and that has a warm colour, like a yellow tint or something

In the past I have bought 2 surefire, one was an MTE ssc p7-c, and the other a trustfire p7-f16, and they were ok while they lasted, but for some reason they keep switching off, which is not good on a rocky descent

I have a fenix l2d for a headtorch which is great, but i want something with a bigger spread of light and a warmer colour for the bars, prefereably powered by aa or 18650 battereies so i don't have to shell out for more

any advice is welcome, but you will have to bear with me as I am a complete novice

cheers

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
any advice is welcome,

biking down a rocky decent at night is a really good way to end up in a wheelchair PERMANENTLY.

dont do it.

find something safe to do when its dark and bike in daylight.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
biking down a rocky decent at night is a really good way to end up in a wheelchair PERMANENTLY.

dont do it.

find something safe to do when its dark and bike in daylight.

As long as you ride within your limits (and the limits of your lighting), then there's no reason to not do it.

Night riding is frankly awesome.

I ride with a garage-made 3x Cree XR-E R2 light, driven at 1000mA. This should be giving me 600ish OTF (out the front) lumens. I really don't have any recommendations for a floody flashlight, but for my bike light I use LEDIL square optics: 1 Medium, 1 Smooth Spot, 1 Real Spot. I run this mounted on my helmet as it is a good all-round light with solid throw. If I'm riding DH as opposed to XC, then I also like to supplement it with something bar mounted. I can get by with a single Cree R2 with diffuse optic (~9 degrees), or I've also borrowed a ~500 lumens Niterider TriNewt.

I also know someone who rides much faster than me on the DH trails, and he was doing fine with a couple old NiteRider Halogens mounted on his helmet. The warmer tints can be a huge plus for picking out details on the trails.

Not sure if any of this will help, but you can also check out the Bike section under Transportation Lighting. Additionally, forums.mtbr.com has a DIY lights section with lots of helpful people on it. I don't have any experience with using flashlights for riding, but if you are open to making your own bike specific light then there are lots of possibilities!

One more thing, I don't know where you are located, but there is a pretty cheap bike light on DX with a P7... but for better service and quality control, you can get the same light for a few more $ from geoman. I think his site is geomangear.com.