A newbie and his Fenix TK12

Cinder

Newly Enlightened
Hello there! Been lurking for over a year, but finally decided to do the inevitable and register :wave:

A little background on me: I've been fascinated by flashlights ever since I was a kid.. in fact I've always asked for flashlights for my birthday present. Back in the day, I felt secure knowing my trusty C or D cell....

m809t.gif

.... Eveready flashlight was ready to light up the dark in case some natural disaster or extreme phenomenon that darkened the skies suddenly happened. Although I never became a flashlight collector (photos of your light collection on CPF amaze me), I always had one or two lights ready for anything. I was happy as long as I had a light, but I never knew what I was missing until I got my first "real" LED: Fenix L2D Q5. I ended up giving it as a gift and got myself another Fenix, the TK12. I've only owned it for 2 nights and so far so good! Knowing how people here like beamshots, I went outside and took some using an ordinary digital camera set to 400 ISO.

First set: Target is a concrete bench about 10 meters away. I hope you don't mind the amateur way these shots were taken :eek:

tk12a5.jpg

5 Lumens

tk12a50.jpg

50 Lumens

tk12a90.jpg

90 Lumens

tk12a225.jpg

225 Lumens

Second Set: Climbed a fire escape to get a clear view of a concrete building (gymnasium) about 125 meters away.

tk12b5.jpg

5 Lumens

tk12b50.jpg

50 Lumens

tk12b90.jpg

90 Lumens

tk12b225.jpg

225 Lumens

:bumpit:

Pictures don't do the TK12 justice imo. So much light from such a small device.

tk12a.jpg

tk12b.jpg

tk12c.jpg

CPF has now become a part of my daily internet browsing routine. I particularly enjoy stories about how different people used their lights to "light up the night" - from helping someone with car problems at night to making people think someone brought a car into the corn maze. :D I'll try to post every now and then. For now, I'm more comfortable with just reading and lurking while I familiarize myself with flashlight terms and models. (When people talk about their lights, it sounds like a conversation about weapons "Malkoff, Maratac, SF M6, etc") :poke: but that's ok, each day I learn something new.

That's it for now, see you around CPF! :tinfoil:

Edit: Anyone know what this flashlight is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLWFaKATGl4

Last edited:

3D black mag

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: And nice pics :twothumbs

(Quote) "I never became a flashlight collector" trust me now that you've joined chances are you will have at least a small collection

3D black mag

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: and nice shots too. You went straight for fenix, good call. i went through budget lights at first and then moved on.

I have a different version of your keyboard, i got the Saitek Eclipse II, great keyboard for surfing the net with the lights off.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cinder....Welcome to CPF!

Great pics by the way. Enjoy your great (one of the favorites I have owned) light.

Cinder

Newly Enlightened
Cinder....Welcome to CPF!

Great pics by the way. Enjoy your great (one of the favorites I have owned) light.

Thanks everyone!

@ hyperloop: awesome! I've had mine for a long time, these keyboards are great.

@ woodrow: I've read your review of the fenix tk12 about 3-5 times before making my decision. Thanks.

lovecpf

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
Hi Cinder!! Welcome to year 2010, i'm trying to resuscitate this thread, haha I've got a question about your change....I now hve a LD20 R4 and I want to sell it to buy the new TK12 R5... What do you think about this change...Not only changed the light power User Interface but also the batteries, how did the change work out for you?

Thnaks a lot! Hope you are still there, and still a flashaholic!

$:)

manitoe

Newly Enlightened
The TK12 was also my first "real" flashlight, it's the light that started the hobby for me. I still use it from time to time, and I still think it's a great, solid light.

ieslei

Newly Enlightened
I own a TK12 R5 now and I think its a good flashlight, just hve to get used to the modes(UI) and the only con is the dark spot in the beam... But i think i`ll get over it some day... :huh:

NightKids

Enlightened
Excellent choice as your first flashlight! It's rugged & can stand some abuse!

Love the beamshots too, already thinking like a CPF flashaholic!