Gander Mtn 220 Lumen compact, anyone?

Black Frog

Newly Enlightened
New guy here- wondering if anyone else has tried this flashlight from Gander Mtn?

414672_L5.jpg

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...Flashlight&str=flashlight&merchID=4005&r=view

I bought one just to try it out- I'm shocked at how bright this is, especially for its size. I took it out at night and was amazed at how far I could illuminate objects. And for the price ($40) vs. some higher end flashlights I think it is a no-brainer.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this light, and if they think it really is 220 lumen output. I see in the reviews on the Gander page, so mentioned this light is brighter than their Surefire's. I'm not a LED flashlight nut, so I'm kinda unsure of the ratings. But I do know 'bright'.

I was so impressed with this light, I've bought several of them now.

Last edited:

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
Hi Black Frog,
Welcome to CPF.

I believe what you read was the false marketing of what emitter can output and not what the light actually does. LED has come a long way and lights are only getting smaller and brighter along with newer, more powerful battery sources. Enjoy the light you have now, but wait til you suddenly start spending more money as your tastes and craving for more lumens grows. :sssh:lovecpf

Here's some links that explains a little about that:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211403
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234798

Here's actual measurements taken from many popular lights and their respective lumens ratings:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=211402

rumme

Newly Enlightened
for $10 less, you coulda got a Teralux 220....220 lumens on hi output, and a low output.

uses 2 AA batteires.

someone on this forum did say they tested the terralux 220 and it puts out about 170 lumens on hi but it seems plenty bright for me.

z 220 it, and it

Black Frog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info- good reading in there.

Still, I'm wondering what real world comparisons there are for this Gander flashlight. I'm guess the 220 rating is 'marketing talk', but this little baby is still brighter than any other non-large frame flashlight I've had, or seen.

I think some knowledgeable people here should try it out for bang-fer-yer-buck comparison for newbies like me. I'd love to see how it stacks up against some more popular and expensive brands in that compact size catagory. One reviewer mentioned that it was brighter than their Surefire Executive Elite, which could be about double the price of the GM light? Did I find a great deal on a super light, or am I just 'not seeing the light'? ;)

marvin222

Newly Enlightened
Hate to tell you, but you paid way to much. That light is worth about half of what you paid.

I'm a newbee - purchased the Gander 220 because I was impressed by it - if I can get another at half price I would jump on it.

What light is comparable at half the price - please also consider shipping charges if applicable?

Blackbeard

Enlightened
It looks very close to the tr-801?? I wonder if it will take a 18650?

:cool:

I'm not seeing the resemblance........seems to be the same length but thats about it, bezel, machining, body & tail all different.........probably from the same factory in China though :rolleyes:

e-ville

Newly Enlightened
my friend who works for bloomfield hills PD bought one of those when he came to work with us one night and he likes it so much he uses it to clear buildings

it is about equal to my pd30 on turbo mode except it actually has better throw, because it has a smooth reflector as to the pd30 has an OP, other than that and the UI they are nearly identical

pm91

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a good light to me for the money. I might get one.

357mag1

Enlightened
I have one and it seems like a bargain for the money built better than most of the cheap lights I've seen.
On the white walls in my house it definitely has a brighter, tighter spot and spill than either my PD30 (R2) or the E2DL. In actual use I prefer the beam of either the PD30 or E2DL, they just seem to work better. Maybe it is the purple tint of the Gander Mountain light. That tight hot spot does not translate into more usable throw in the real world. I've noticed that with lots of lights.
Still a good light for the money but I hate the UI and would spend the extra $20 on a PD30 as it is a huge step up in quality. I've also noticed the Gander light must have some serious parasitic drain as it eats batteries just setting around.

doubloon

Newly Enlightened
I know this is an oldish thread but the flashlight is still available in stores.

I have one, picked it up on sale for $30ish, and as a flashlight noob I think it's pretty bright for the money. It's got wide spill up close and does a decent job of lighting up the trees ~75 yards behind my house.

I have some fenix ld40s on order and expect them to be much better but I'll do a side by side comparison when they come in but I've been happy with the gander light so far.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plenty of good cheap lights out there that to newbies like me blow your socks off but then you get hooked on the brands and your wallet never recovers.:wave:

jcalvert

Enlightened
New guy here- wondering if anyone else has tried this flashlight from Gander Mtn?

414672_L5.jpg

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...Flashlight&str=flashlight&merchID=4005&r=view

I bought one just to try it out- I'm shocked at how bright this is, especially for its size. I took it out at night and was amazed at how far I could illuminate objects. And for the price ($40) vs. some higher end flashlights I think it is a no-brainer.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this light, and if they think it really is 220 lumen output. I see in the reviews on the Gander page, so mentioned this light is brighter than their Surefire's. I'm not a LED flashlight nut, so I'm kinda unsure of the ratings. But I do know 'bright'.

I was so impressed with this light, I've bought several of them now.

Black Frog,

Just in case you wondered where it came from: http://www.favourlight.com/1/#products/ALC-86E2L.

Does this look familiar from GM as well? http://www.favourlight.com/1/#products/ALC-1912L.

Despite having a Fenix TA21, Olight M20S & Tiablo A10-G, these Gander Mountain lights are really very good products, especially when bought on sale.

John

shipwreck

Enlightened
I have almost gotten that GM model a few times... But I always just end up buying another Solarforce for like $25... It's likely brighter than the GM too.

But, the GM light is a nice looking light, and a small size.

jcalvert

Enlightened
I have almost gotten that GM model a few times... But I always just end up buying another Solarforce for like $25... It's likely brighter than the GM too.

But, the GM light is a nice looking light, and a small size.

I bought the pictured light back in July after a camping trip where my AA Maglite couldn't light up a raccoon in our campsite from inside my tent in the middle of night. That trip was what made me decide it was time to look for something better. Where I live, Gander Mountain is in our town and is where I began my search. Granted GM carries Surefire, but I didn't think to ask if they carried anything better. But the GM brand light was a heck of a lot brighter than my AA Maglite and on sale for $30, I had no problem buying it.

However, while I was looking over that light, I saw and looked over the light in the following Gander Mountain link, http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...andheld_LED_Flashlight&aID=503D1&merchID=4006. I decided that while it was on sale, I would pick that up as well.

But what resulted from those purchases was a desire to learn if those products were considered any good. So while I was Google searching, I found out that they were made by Favourlight, http://www.favourlight.com/1/#products/ALC-1912L . But also in the search process, I found CPF and the rest is history, including my purchase of several high-end lights from a variety of manufacturers.

Ultimately, I took back the first light pictured in Black Frog's initial post and bought a second ALC-1912L from the link above. What I like about this product is that it's decent quality, it has high, low & strobe, and it has integrated blue, green, red & red SOS LEDs. But what I really like is that it has a side switch (although a tactical switch is available), so that my wife and kids can use it like a standard-style flashlight that they are used to. I keep one in my wife's vehicle and one in the house for their safety and ease of use.

So if you have a Gander Mountain nearby and would like to get family or friends a decent quality, versatile and easy to use (side switch) light for when your loved ones are alone at home or traveling alone, this Gander Mountain light is a nice choice, especially when it's on sale.

John

Last edited: