Homeade light diffusers to use flahslights as laterns

rumme

Newly Enlightened
What are you guys using to put on the head of your flashlights so it turns the beam into more of a whole room illuminator in times of power outages, or for camping in atent, etc...

I know they sell light diffusers that friction fit over the head of flashlights , but im sure that something could be found in our homes/ food pantrys that is plastic and would accomplish the same thing, all for free..

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Look around the house for disposable items made of translucent plastic. Depending on the flashlight, things like water bottle caps and chapstick caps might work. I once stuck one of my lights into a hotel shampoo bottle and got a nice lantern effect. You may have to cut the plastic with a razor knife as needed.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
The few times I needed to diffuse the light I just used a piece of toilet paper and a rubber band. :green:
Or I point it at the ceiling, or at a piece of white paper.

I tried some fine nylon mesh (like for silk screening) which worked well without much loss -- but I have two LED lanterns if I need them. It's the light loss which concerns me most. I'm thinking maybe the mesh works better because it works mostly by diffraction.

I did cut out a piece of plastic 1/2 & 1/2 bottle to replace the lens in a dollar incandescent to get rid of the artifacts, but it does lose light.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Hair spray lids

You can always do what I did for a light I coun't find anything to fit on. Go shopping. I took the light to Walmart and walked around sticking lids on it till I found one I liked.

HKJ

Flashaholic
What are you guys using to put on the head of your flashlights so it turns the beam into more of a whole room illuminator in times of power outages, or for camping in atent, etc...

If there is a white ceiling, bouncing the light of the ceiling can work much better than a diffuser.
You will get a more uniform light in the room and no blinding hot spot, when looking at the diffuser. But it will usual require more light, i.e. use more batteries.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use disposable plastic cup, that has a milky color, works great.

Illum

Flashaholic
progress.gif

:confused:

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I copied and pasted it from another post and now I don't know how to fix that. If I click on it and make an edit it seem to change. But when I come back in again it is still there and my edit hasn't taken effect. :shrug:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
A Crazy glue cover works great on my iTP, S2 (LOD head) and E01 for a lantern as it is longer than the chapstick cover so offers a nice glow. A bit like a chem light stick only better as there is some real light.

100_2755.jpg

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened
...a piece of toilet paper and a rubber band.

MacGyver IS IN THE HOUSE! :nana:

I'll have to try that ping pong ball trick. Sounds good. I find a small clear plastic bottle full of water works great (when I'm goofing off - have never tried it in an actual outage).

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great idea! Shame all the kids have are orange balls! I guess I'll be picking up a pack of white to try it out. Thanks for the idea!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
just try not to ignite them balls, ..things i did with them when i was a kid..