SureFire Headlamp Accessory

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
Headlamps are simple. Here are the ingredients for my dream SureFire Headlamp.

1. A hinge to connect a Surefire head to the head strap(s).

1a. Half of the hinge would attach to the strap.

1b. The other half would have a threaded male extension to which the user could screw the SureFire head. This piece could be molded out of Nitrolon or another polymer.

2. An "extension cord".

2a. A threaded female cap to attach one end of the cord to the body of the SureFire light being used as a headlamp. This would be a "dummy head" to replace and carry current to the real head when used on the headlamp assembly. This component could be molded out of Nitolon or another polymer as well.

2b. An electrical cord to carry juice from the body of the SureFire light to the head mounted on the headlamp assembly. This cord should be long enough to permit the user to store the body where the he reach it to manipulate the switch (e.g. in a pocket).

3. Head strap(s)

Since much of this SureFire accessory could be molded out of plastic, it seems like the production costs should be low compared to what SureFire or a third party could get for them. I know pay too much for it (up to $40), and I'm sure there are other flashaholics out there who would. Anyone listening?

Tombeis

Enlightened
Good idea.

An adapter kit to change your Surefire M2/M3 into a powerful headlamp.

Add to the above, a number 4. belt holster to attach the flashlight body to your belt or other load carrying equipment.

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
If you designed part 2a right, you could probably just use the standard plastic SureFire holster. Or you could just use the one from www.soegear.com
cool.gif
That said, a holster would be a nice way to round out the kit. It would also give you a place to store the headlamp accessories when you were not using them.

You could also use an elastic sleeve to hold the body/battery pack at the back of your head (although that would make momentary-on rather awkward
wink.gif
)