Do you still have your first SureFire? If not, what happened to it?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
(Bonus points for 'epic tales' and/or pics...)

My first SF (L1-Lux3) is no longer with me - it did good EDC duty for a year, but eventually became a casualty of a misbehaving driver and went back home to Fountain Valley, California. Now I have a small flock of specialized SF's and wouldn't find my old L1 to be all that useful anymore. :sigh:
(I'm keeping its replacement, another L1-Lux3, NIP until it goes to 'Milky' in another year or two - the LED that will go into it doesn't even exist yet ...)

What gave me the idea for this thread is that I've seen a few recent posts from new arrivals here at CPF asking about whether or not to purchase a SureFire 6P. Back in the spring of 2007 I had passed over the old 6P for the nifty two-stage L1 - ironically (& unquestionably) I would still have the 6P had I gotten that instead. I didn't have an inkling then as to how wonderfully upgradeable the 6P really is - my 'new' 6P contains a Malkoff M60, an AW18650, and a 120 ohm McC2s in the tailcap, and is quite possibly the finest flashlight in my humble little collection.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2Z, not only my first surefire, the first light that got me really into being a flashaholic

sold it, it was, sadly, the first time i sold anything on cpfmp.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Petersen

Newly Enlightened
yup, L1 (Lux3) and L2

Bought them together, actually this was my first "real" flashlight purchase - same time as I joined CPF

Since then I've also, among others, got myself a 6P, have tried LED dropins in it, but believe it or not, couldn't part with the P60 LA - gotta love the nice incan beam profile

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have every surefire i bought.

my original gunmetal gray 6P, and leather holder lives in my bedside drawer.

my first LED surefire, An L4, died, but has been given a new lease on life, with a X-RE (my first mod)

oldpal

Enlightened
First Surefire was a 3P. Got it back in the '90s and still have it along with the original box with papers. Sometime I use it with a Malkoff M30WF. Nice light.

Hugh

mwaldron

Enlightened
My first was an L2, I wanted to see what could possibly justify the price of a $200 flashlight.

I bought it about 6mo before I found CPF (ironically McGizmo clips is what brought me to CPF, not flashlights) but I was quickly hooked anyway.

I still have my L2, even though it was lost for a month or two it found it's way back to me. I've been thinking about an LED Upgrade for it though, but would it then still be a SF L2?

TonyTDMD

Newly Enlightened
1st gen 6p, I still have it, and use it often, although my EDC piece is a milky KL1 classic on an E1E body. (both are pretty rough)

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still have my original 6P. Purchased when I was an EMT approximately 15 years ago.
DSC05372-1-1.jpg

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure do!

It's a E2D, "Xenon, Warrior Princess!" It's not the work horse it used to be. But she is still well loved and well used. You will find her strapped to my hip on the weekends.

I still have my second Surefire, a square bodied L2. It is my kitchen utility light and is still a favorite camping light.

I will always use these lights and never sell them!

kelmo

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Sir yes sir!! Later generation 6P

still in regular rotation, although modded. I have found it a near-perfect tool, and its still my benchmark to which all my other lights are compared.

Bored for 18650
With DX-MCE (this is the drop in Gary measured at 150Lo / 350Hi OTF in his sphere)

My most recent pic
dscn5868.jpg

Last edited:

buickid

Enlightened
Still got my E2E that I purchased in March of this year. First incan, first Surefire (NT120 was first light). Got me hooked to the E-series form! Even though I love my 6P and keep one strapped to my hip, the E2E is my go-to light when I need something pocketable and sexy!

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I got my first Surefire, a Yellow G2 about five years ago. I thought it was awesome; well made and very bright. My opinion changed when I tried to carry it. This was before the LOTC models so pocket carry was a never ending headache of crappy workarounds (store the light in a tube in the pocket?) dead batteries and hot pockets.

I stopped trying to carry it after only a few days and eventually sold it after it'd been sitting in my junk drawer for a few months. I'm still amazed that there are lights made without a LOTC feature, just doesn't make sense in my eyes.

bouncer

Enlightened
Nope,

I lost my first e1e, lost my first e2e, lost a g2 with extension, had another e1e stolen given away my second and third g2's lost an e1l and an l4 and given away or sold 2 6p's .still have a 6p with turbo head and an e2e being modded by Milky as I write this and looking for another e2e to hotwire. Anyone got one for sale in the next month ? LOL

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lost my first e1e, lost my first e2e, lost a g2 with extension, had another e1e stolen given away my second and third g2's lost an e1l and an l4 and given away or sold 2 6p's .still have a 6p with turbo head and an e2e being modded by Milky as I write this and looking for another e2e to hotwire. Anyone got one for sale in the next month ? LOL

No, but it sounds like you need a lanyard to keep your light on you :nana:

Regards,
Tempest

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
My first (6P/M60) is only about six months old but I see absolutely no reason why I'd ever want to sell this light.

Hell I'd probably sooner sell my first GUITAR (owned for 17 years) than this light!

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have my first Surefire. A G3 I bought 3 years ago. The tail cap spring has been deformed from heat. Other than that it's still in good condition.