Carley Focusing Spacers?

Darkcobra

Enlightened
I've recently just recieved my order for some Carley 716,717 Xenon Star lamps. The lamps came with some focusing spacers. There website gives a small description of them, but I'm still clueless as to how to use them?
Can anyone give any tips and information regarding the use of these spacers. A picture would really be great too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Thanks!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slip the spacers over the top glass envelope of the bulb before placing the bulb in whatever bulb holder your light uses.

Trial and error will tell you how many spacers you want to use.

This is of primary use in fixed focus lights like the PT40.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
Oh, I see. . .
Since I'll be using it in a focusable Maglite, I won't have to use the spacers then, right?
Do the spacers stay in play simply by friction?

Thanks!
Joel

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a Mag C or D light, for example, the spacers go between the flanged bulb lip of the PR bulb and the inside surface of the threaded retaining ring that holds the bulb in.

In other lights, the rings are wedged between the top of this flanged lip and whatever keeps the bulb from falling loose. Dorcy, Brinkmann, and many other fixed focus lights typically have a countersunk hole in the back of the reflector that normally butt up against the flange. The rings move the filament back further in these reflectors.

TOB9595

Enlightened
Glad I wasn't the only one to need this info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifThanks Lemlux
The info on the mag lights was good also
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, the spacers come in several ID sizes.

One of my Carley orders included high amperage Krypton Stars and PR potted Carley Xenon and Halogen bulbs. Carley sent me lots of spacers, and many of them were too narrow to fit over the Krypton Stars.