Just got my Arc AAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frangible

Enlightened
My maglite solitaire recently started exhibiting some "random" brightness only remedied through whacking it, so I decided it was time for a new flashlight. This is about my 4th maglite that's done that, so I took a look at LED flashlights for a change.

I wasn't really sure, even after ordering it, that it would acually be brighter than the Mag.

But uh, wow. The difference is night and day, so to speak. It's a very "cold", but extremely bright little light. I think it's a pity you see every other store selling Mags, and the following for Arcs is a niche. It's really an incredible small flashlight.

I don't own many flashlights, but I'm *extremely* impressed by the Arc. I would say it's perfect but, I'm sure they'll only get brighter and longer lasting in the future.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Frangible,
After having a AAA, I'm not sure I could do without one now. I have 3 LE's, a turquoise, and a UV. They are great little lights for sure. I keep an LE with me 24/7. Oh, yeah, welcome aboard. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Frangible

Enlightened
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And yeah they are great, I started carrying a AAA flashlight a while back and it's come in very handy, even the dim Maglite.

Questions though... How's the UV one like? And how does the LSH's beam compare to the AAA?

Thanks.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Frangible,
I haven't had the UV for very long, but it is cool to play with. Works just as it should, I guess. The Arc LS is a whole different light and blows the AAA away. Like comparing apples and oranges as they say around here. I absolutely love mine, all of them. I usually carry an LS and a AAA every day. Comparing the AAA and LS is not a fair comparison though. They are both outstanding lights though. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Frangible,
If you like the AAA, get an LS and be prepared for "shock and awe". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Frangible

Enlightened
Ah wow, it's that much brighter? Didn't know. The output ratings are in different units so it's hard to compare them. The LS is a little bigger than I'd want to carry around with me, though. Wonder how it'd compare to my 3-D Maglite.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LS is equal to about 10-12 5mm LED's. It can pretty well replace your Mag 3D for most uses.
I hope this helps.

Frangible

Enlightened
The mag 3D claims to have 22,000 peak beam candlepower. A review said the Arc was at 81,000 MCD. These units seem kind of ambiguous and I'm not quite sure how to convert between them...

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to replacing another Maglite with another Arc but would like to know more about the brightness first, heh.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Frangible,
I suggest going down to the Arc forum below. It has all the info you will ever need. I would take one Arc LS as apposed to a bushel basket of Mag 3D's. Just me though. Good luck. Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

THEluminator

Newly Enlightened
It might not be as bright but at least the light it puts out is pure white...not that sickly yellow incanescant light. Also its regualted so it will satay bright the entire duration of the battery. Only problem is it's a bit pricy. I think it would do a good job replacing it though.

gyverpete

Enlightened
The AAA is a great light. Bright and small. It's my favorite and I carry it 24/7. I also compared it to the solitaire and the Arc is about twice as bright, with white not yellowish light and much better built and tougher. I also compared the ARC to my 2-AAA minimag and guess what! The mag wouldn't turn on. After cleaning the contacts it worked and guess what, again! The ARC wins, this time by a slim margin. Not as much throw of course, but more light output, with a wide beam and no black holes. Shining them off the ceiling, the ARC illuminates the room better.

My ARC-LS is about twice as bright as my Minimag 2-AA. Almost as much throw and dazzling white light. And it's half the size of the mag.

(All comparisons were done with fresh batteries.)

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
after i got my arc AAA i still kept my 3D maglite around because i still found it useful but after i got my LSH-P my maglite has been collecting dust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.