What AAA lights work well with 10440 battery?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using 10440 battery in my Maratac light lately, and I absolutely love it. The medium is much brighter than with regular batteries, bright enough for 90% of my need. The insanely bright high is great for other things -- mostly playing and showing off. I only use the high level for a few seconds at a time. Basically by using 10440 in the tiny Maratac I have the best of both worlds -- a wallet size light and the power of a super bright AA light. In fact, my Maratac is brighter on 10440 than my Akoray K-106 on 14500.

I am just wondering why aren't AAA lights made to take advantage of 10440. I also would like to know what other AAA lights are really good at handling 10440 batteries. Thanks.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
More lights are not made for them because there are no protected 10440's. Also, such high output in such a small package gives extremely limited heatsinking options.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
my LD01 runs exclusively on 10440s, i have 4 of them and a few AAA NiMhs as spares. WAY BRIGHT!

jahxman

Enlightened
None of the AAA lights mentioned so far have over-discharge protection, which IMO is an important consideration when using 10440s, which are too small to have a pcb protection circuit.

The Maratac and the Fenix LD01 oficially do not recommend the use of 10440s, though many use them in them. The Peak Eiger officially supports the use, but their web site has very clear disclaimers basically saying you use 10440s at your own risk.

The LiteFLux LF2XT has over-discharge protection built into its driver electronics; this is my preference for a light that I'm keeping in my pocket near my vital regions...:eek:

Having the electronics to more safely handle 10440s carries some tradeoff in maximum output and runtime, but it is well worth it IMO, especially given the total flexibility and user customization possible with the LF2XT. It is the only light that is with me all the time, making it my most useful light.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
DealExtreme's $11 Tank007 TK-703 is rated for them and seems to work fine.

factory page here

DE sales page (in black finish) here

DE sales page (in red) here

its as bright as my Maratacs or ITPs with 10440s, but the beam is tighter so it has more throw.

specs:
Brand: TANK007
Model: TK-703
Emitter Brand/Type: Cree
Emitter BIN: Q3-WC
Battery Configurations: 1 x AAA/1 x 10440 Ii-on battery
Voltage Input: 0.8~4.2V, 4.2V max
Switch Type: Clicky (Clickie)
Switch Location: Tailcap (Tail-cap)
Circuitry: Digital Regulated 400mA Current Output
Brightness: 110 lumens maximum brightness

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
LF2xt, no need to keep looking if you want an advanced torch with protection built in.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Partial protection for discharge, no protection for charging or storage.

Discharge protection is what I am looking for in a torch... Not worried about storage protection. As far as charging that is a good point, it is best to have a good quality li-ion charger (Which I do).

Also you get a voltage readout to the 100th of a volt. When the level is getting low time to recharge.