what 5mm leds to use in Inova X5?

KAP

Newly Enlightened
I have an old (late 90's) X5 that i found and i finally was able to get it apart using the freezer pop method. Its the original version (no writing on the rubber button, no lanyard) with very weak and blueish leds. I'm looking for a project so i want to replace the 5x 5mm leds with some that are a bit more powerful and white.
i really dont know where to start. I'm willing to spend whatever i need, but not willing to wait for shipping from China (DX). does lighthound have anything worth looking at?

KAP

Newly Enlightened
ah nevermind. the bezel does not come apart like on the new X5s. the bulbs seem permanently fused in to the bezel.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just buy a new one? The price came down to $28 at Target, it's now around 80 lumens, and the newer ones are hard anodized.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Why not just buy a new one? The price came down to $28 at Target, it's now around 80 lumens, and the newer ones are hard anodized.

Because tinkering and modding are more in line with the spirit of CPF.

If you can get into the head with or without completely destroying it, Radioshack sells some 7000mcd warmish white 5mm, part number 276-017. They are $2 for a 2-pack and I have used them as a direct replacement for a number of 5mm applications. Here's a beam shot:

beamshot_001.sized.jpg

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you still plan on modding it, Nichia GS and CS LEDs could be good choices. They were the brightest 5mm LEDs when I was last here a few months back.

Warmer white Cree 5mms could also be a good choice.

I don't recall where to ge them though...

KAP

Newly Enlightened
well i just made a mess! lol
at the base of the bezel was a round (~18mm) circuit board where you could see the + and - leads coming through from all 5 of the leds. i was able to pry up the circuit board exposing the inside of the bezel which was filled with grey plactic. i dremeled out all the plastic and was able to push out all the leds from the back. so now i'm just left with the bezel with 5 holes in it. is there an 18mm round circuit board out there that i could use?