Opinions, Comments, Thoughts on INOVA X5T. ???

jtice

Flashaholic
I am going to preorder an Inova x1 soon, and was thinking of getting the x5t, you know,,, so I have the matching big brother to complete the set. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

If I do get the x5t, it will be my first 123 cell light. I hate the cost of 123 cells, and I tend to use a light way to often to eat up expensive 123's. Im currently looking into getting some rechargable 123's.

Basicall, Im wanting input, and opinions from all of you that have had the pleasure of playing with one. Runtime, light output, throw distance, functionality, etc.

As far as I can tell, it seems like a great deal for only $35.
BTW... any input on the x1 is welcome also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh, and I only know 2 places to preorder the x1,,, tadgear.com and meridian tactical... are there any other places?

WaltH

Enlightened
I really like the X5t. It runs so long on a set of 123's that I'm not worried about operating cost. This thing is bullet-proof as well. Check out www.ledmuseum.org for Craig's review.
I recommend this light.

jtice

Flashaholic
How regulated is the x5t? Does it dim slowly,,, or run at pretty much max brightness , till it drops out of regulation?

epro05

Newly Enlightened
I've had my X5T a couple of weeks now. I really like it. I posted some beamshots here

And information on brightness vs. runtime (courtesy of Brock's LED Flashlight Page) is
here (Click on "led lights" at the bottom of the spreadsheet and then you will see the X5T information.)

Phil

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
epro05 said:
...And information on brightness vs. runtime (courtesy of Brock's LED Flashlight Page) is
here (Click on "led lights" at the bottom of the spreadsheet and then you will see the X5T information.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Brock's figures are for the original "Classic" X5 and should closely approximate the X5T.

My personal preference is for the original X5. It is smaller and lighter than the X5T, and any difference in brightness is either nonexistant or barely noticeable.

I find the bezel/twist on-off more convenient to use in a wider variety of situations than the tail button. The key is in knowing how to use it Here's what I've found:

1)Wrap a 1/2" wide strip of stick-on skateboard tape on the bezel section where your thumb and forefinger most naturally fall.

2)Properly lube the o-ring.

3)When ready to use advance bezel nearly to ON position.

4)You now have effortless instant on/off in the second-most anatomically natural general use position.

5)The most anatomically natural position is only functional on some tailswitch lights with either a deeply knurled body or an installed "tactical ring".

Brightnorm

jtice

Flashaholic
epro05...

Thanks for the links, great beamshots!
Wow, I didnt realize a CMG Reactor was soooo bright! hmmmm
I still like the looks and opreation of the X5t sooo much more. Looks alittle blue though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Seems like I should get about 5 hours or good light before it drops significantly in brightness. (20 hours my butt,,, what 2 lumens after 20 hours?)

The light ouput looks really even though.

stangster

Newly Enlightened
jtice,

The beam is very blue for a white LED. I personally prefer a greener tint vs the bluer tint, but that's just me.

But my X5T is a nice light. It's decreasing output is unnoticeable until you stick a new pair of batts and say to yourself, "Wow, it's much brighter now"

The only lights I have that I can compare the X5 to is my ARC LSH-S, E2e w/ KL1 and a CMG Reactor 3. Of the four, the X5 & KL1 are similar in output and color. And they aren't as bright as the ARC or CMG. But considering the X5 is a third the cost of the ARC & E2e w/ KL1 and a little more than half the size of the Reactor 3, it's a nice light for the price and size.

But if you don't mind the size, the Reactor 3 is AWESOME and it's much cheaper that all three! Plus you can use rechargeables to boot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (and don't get all caught up with the idea of removing the resistor. It doesn't look any brighter with it out. I tried and said to myself, "huh??" so I put it back. It's probably resistored enuf to the point where light output isn't noticeable yet provides a significant increase in time. But if you want to know how to test it w/o destroying the resistor so you can put it back, just pm me.)

jtice

Flashaholic
Hmmm, yea I think its gonna be alot bluer than I like it to be, Oh well.

Im tempted to get a green one,,,, but white is SOOOOOO much more usable. Plus , I dont think the green is as bright.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Opinions, Comments, Thoughts on INOVA X5T. ?

I use my white X5T as a backup emergency light n my car and IMHO it is ideally for the task: reasonably bright with a fair runtime, indestructible, waterproof, quite small and finally with a loooong storage time because of the lithiums and with thw possibility to operate it in very cold weather (lithiums).
so ... for me this is a very reasonable light and a good compromise between brightness, runtime and cost. and it is very stylish, too, for the wow-factor!
bernhard

P.S.: I also have a red one (rather dim with lost space due to only one cell in it, not recommended!) and a blue one (bright but not as useful as the white IMHO)

epro05

Newly Enlightened
jtice,

Stangster's comments are right on the money. For the price, the X5T is a great value with a great look and feel, and a very nice beam to round out the value proposition. If you get it, I think you will be very happy with it.

I also have a SureFire KL1 head which I can screw onto my Streamlight Scorpion body. I took a couple of shots to show you more comparisons. The Luxeon Star lights are brighter, but the X5T does pretty well. Here's the lights and also the beams.

{17F0ED27-057B-4604-99C7-97B3E3DBCE52}lg.jpg

{0B060B69-24B9-4943-922B-8BB921383449}lg.jpg

By the way, if you want a really bright but small incandescent, check out my Scorpion (with its regular xenon head) vs. 2 D cell Maglight shots. The Scorpion, for the price (about $35) and size is also awesome. And you can get CR123's for considerably less than $2 apiece online.

{FFADD971-1D32-4CCF-8189-22E0FEC471AF}lg.jpg

{54DA2E4D-A26B-438D-B99A-0A735FB205B8}lg.jpg

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oooh! Look at that fugly beam from the 2D mag...
It hurts just to even look at it...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif