camping flashlight

chewbroccoli

Newly Enlightened
hi,

I'm looking for a good camping flashlight. budget about $100. I've got a Fenix LD10 that I carry with me every day but it just didn't seem to cut it when I went camping this summer. I'm not sure what was wrong, whether it was not enough spill or throw.

I'd like something kinda rugged. I was looking at the Olight M20 warrior. It seems pretty good and there's a christmas deal where it comes with a free little Ti AAA light. I'm not sure what I think about the low battery warning if it might be problematic, I'm also not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge into the "weird" batteries like CR123's that aren't readily available but I think I could be convinced.

I was also considering a TK20 and then use the rest of my budget to do some kind of maglite mod. any input or ideas would be great!

thanks!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My first attempt at an ideal camping light was trying to get one that did everything well. However, I have had better luck since then by camping with a few different lights, each specialized for different duty:
  1. High output thrower (doesn't need a low level, so keep it a simple & reliable single-mode)
  2. Low output flooder (an additional high level can be useful but not really necessary, again, keeping it simple & reliable). This has the advantage of being able to be very small and can fit in a shirt pocket, even while you're sleeping.
  3. Headlamp
I find #1 is useful when trying to find a good campsite in the dark (also for those bumps-in-the-night, ?whuzzat?-type situations), #2 is useful for covert night missions once your eyes are night-adapted, while #3 is useful for general camp duties.

Much better than trying to have one light trying to fill every role, plus this way you always have backups. :cool:
Oh, and :welcome:
Good luck,
K

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I'm guessing your LD10 would be OK as #1, but I would very much prefer a SureFire 6P w/ a Malkoff M60W (warm) LED and the standard Z41 twistie tailcap. Simple, bright, and bombproof, but will run your budget a little thin, about $100 plus shipping.

#2, How about a Fenix E01? I don't have one but have heard very good things about them. Very reliable, a good basic low with good flood. The step up from that is the Fenix LD01, I have one of these but it isn't floody enough and the hotspot is way too bright even on the lowest level. (Plus, it always turns on at 'medium' first, which is way too bright and shoots my night vision all to heck.) The comparable Streamlight Microstream is simple and very nice but far too oriented towards throw, with the same result. I have a couple of custom lights that are very dim (~3 & ~10 lumens) and very floody and they are just about perfect. Trust me, once you try camping with a dim, floody light (yes that sounds funny I know) that is totally reliable, small, & convenient, you won't know how you got along without one.

#3, a Petzl Zipka LED headlamp for ~$20 or so. Works great for me and slips into a pocket very easily with the retractable band. Relatively low output so I don't inadvertently blind my camping companions.

So adding #2 and #3 would set you back a total of ~$35 US, and has the added advantage of using the same batteries, AAA. Runtimes for both lights are fantastic.

Great starter lights that will work perfectly for their intended roles.

I was camping with my lights just last weekend and these three roles are consistently what I find most useful.

Hope this helps,
K

Last edited:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like something kinda rugged. I was looking at the Olight M20 warrior. It seems pretty good and there's a christmas deal where it comes with a free little Ti AAA light. I'm not sure what I think about the low battery warning if it might be problematic, I'm also not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge into the "weird" batteries like CR123's that aren't readily available but I think I could be convinced.

The M20 is a nice light with lots of throw - I am pretty sure that none of the current batch have the low battery warning (it was a feature that everyone disliked so they removed it).
I can't see the M20 being OK as your only light, but I can't see any light be OK as your only light - so don't worry about that.

The last time I went camping I found a good thrower was useful, but also my Zebralight H501 was very handy. My next camping trip will be fun as I have a bunch of new lights to test. I think my most used light is likely to be my H60w - it is a light that you don't want to be without when camping.

Buy some 18650 cells and a charger and embrace the weird batteries - they are weird, but in a VERY good way. Get the best batteries here.

When I go camping I like to see if I can keep the number of lights down to no more than 10 - one day I'll manage to succeed. It can be a challenge to fit everything (tent, sleeping bag, bedroll, camp stove, pot, pan, kettle, food, plates, cutlery, lights) on a motor scooter - but a few more lights can usually be tucked in somewhere.

For someone starting out I recommend some sort of floody head light or Zebralight for hands free use, plus a nice thrower like the M20, plus a backup like the AAA light that you mention. Once you have those 3 your main needs are covered. Later you can buy more lights to play with.

Short and Round

Newly Enlightened
I know it is over you budget but, if I were going camping I would not go without my Surefire E2L Outdoorsman. In fact, if I could only be with one light that would be the one. Check out the runtime!! And in the dark it does do a fine job but will not light up the forrest!! One other thing to remember: :poke:

Light=Bugs
Light on head = Bugs on face!! :crackup:

Meganoggin

Enlightened
I have been taking my Surefire L1 on my last few camping trips, it has been my most used light around the camp (it has a high and low beam) really useful.

I am thinking of getting a Zebralight for next years camping, they have a nice floody beam and come with a pocket clip as well as the headband, they also come with multiple output levels...

Hope this helps :welcome:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
bang for buck, I think its pretty hard to beat Quark 123^2 Regular (tail standable should be a huge plus when camping)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

fenix tk20 is now $48.90 at 4sevens.com after using the CPF8 discount code.

use the remainin funds (you may need to top up a bit) and get a zebralight headlamp (H501W) from www.zebralight.com

i already own a zebralight H501 and my TK20 is on the way, these will be the primary camping lights (actually fishing lights cos i dont camp much) as both use AAs and i have a ton of eneloops

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first attempt at an ideal camping light was trying to get one that did everything well. However, I have had better luck since then by camping with a few different lights, each specialized for different duty:
  1. High output thrower (doesn't need a low level, so keep it a simple & reliable single-mode)
  2. Low output flooder (an additional high level can be useful but not really necessary, again, keeping it simple & reliable). This has the advantage of being able to be very small and can fit in a shirt pocket, even while you're sleeping.
  3. Headlamp
I find #1 is useful when trying to find a good campsite in the dark (also for those bumps-in-the-night, ?whuzzat?-type situations), #2 is useful for covert night missions once your eyes are night-adapted, while #3 is useful for general camp duties.

Much better than trying to have one light trying to fill every role, plus this way you always have backups. :cool:
Oh, and :welcome:
Good luck,
K

+1

I found that the best flooder for me was to simply put a home-made diffuser on my fenix L2D by replacing the red lens in the filter adaptor with a self made piece of plastic I sanded on one or two sides. Haven't seen anything better yet to walk uneven terrain at night

Disco-Dave

Newly Enlightened
I use my fenix tk11 everytime does a great joband i only ever need 1 or 2 spare 18560 batterys at the most for a weeks camping usually 5 nites. Not sure if there is an extension tube for the tk11 someone might know tho if there is ill be interested in 1 myself.

Also Waiting on a fenix l2t v2.0 runs on 2aa's seems like a nice light & i will also be purchasing a headlight for dutys such as cutting wood at night ir fishing. maybe a zebralight

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
hi,

I'm looking for a good camping flashlight. budget about $100. I've got a Fenix LD10 that I carry with me every day but it just didn't seem to cut it when I went camping this summer. I'm not sure what was wrong, whether it was not enough spill or throw.

I was also considering a TK20 and then use the rest of my budget to do some kind of maglite mod. any input or ideas would be great!

thanks!

Alright, first thing to be established is what your definition of camping is. Are you driving into a campsite and need a light for wandering around when it starts to get dark? Are you going on 4 day backpacking trips out in the mountains, away from civilization? What kind of camping you are doing has a huge impact on recommendations.

If I was doing some casual camping, with minimal effort needed to get to the campsite, then I would take a bunch of lights. A light with a ton of output and decent runtime like a P7 modded Mag, a headlamp for just around the campsite, a general use light like the L2D, maybe something with even more throw than the P7 Mag, and whatever else I had at hand.

However, when I go on multi-day trips, my pack is already a lot heavier than I'd like it to be. This means I want to pack fairly light. A good combo is a Fenix L2D for reasonable throw and good general brightness which is reassuring, especially if in bear country. Note that the L2D is brighter than the LD10, so it will throw a bit better and have more spill. To complement this, I like my Petzl Tikka XP (with the optional headstrap upgrade) for general use. It isn't especially bright but it has good low modes for in the tent and such, and it has a handy diffused for a floody beam. I'll take some spare AAs for the Fenix, and maybe spare AAAs for the headlamp, but I don't typically have issues with it running low.

chewbroccoli

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the replies, lots to think about.

I have a little E01 with my keys. I didn't use it much except in the tent when I went out this year.

I usually just go to provincial parks or the like so not too backwoods. I prefer to go out on my motorbike though so space is a bit of an issue. this year we usually had someone with a car come out too so the space of a couple lights wasn't an issue.

I didn't really consider headlamps. I'm not sure why. maybe i can get a clip or holder of some kind to use my LD10 or E01 as a headlamp?

I'm not sure of the normal fenix or quark lights for camping. my LD10 seems a bit fragile. it's great for EDC but I'm not sure how it would hold up as a main camping light.

usually when we go camping we have one of those coleman type flourescent lanterns that works well for lighting up stuff for cooking etc. so that's like a flood type light.

I wish I could have figured out why I didn't like my LD10. it was just not enough light. I'm not sure how to describe it. it's great for EDC, it just didn't cut it camping.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
Welcome to the forum chewbroccoli
You seem to be getting plenty of good information and I'm going to add to it. I don't go anywhere with only one light. I have been using the M20 worrior premium for about a year and it's one of my favorite. It just about goes every where I go along with spare cr123s. CR123s are common batterys and can be bought anywhere. Your best prices on these are going to be with one of the venders you buy your light from. Another light I've been using is the M30 Triton. This is a very good light for outdoors and I find I'm using this one more often. It has a very bright, usable beam and is quickly switched to what power is needed by a separate push button. This feature seems to save the batterys some. With the M20 it takes 2 hands to switch powers by twisting the head so it usually just stays on high. The M30 would make a very good camping light and so would the M20.
Billy

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
hi,

thanks!

TK20 is a great light. I would consider that and a Rebel 4 mode PT EOS headlamp. Guessing you would use the headlamp 95% of the time.