Inretech 2xAA doesn't like NiMH???

marklein

Newly Enlightened
Inretech 2xAA doesn\'t like NiMH???

I browsed some old posts and read a few suggesting that the Inretech 2AA MiniMag conversion doesn't play well with NimH batteries. Is this true? I'll be very disapointed if that's the case because it otherwise seems to be the perfect light for my needs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Could anything be done to make it happier with NimH?

Thanks.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Inretech 2xAA doesn\'t like NiMH???

It's not Inretech's fault; NiMh only produce ~1.2V per cell, so with 2AA there is only ~2.4V available. Luxeons generally need 3V or more to have any decent brightness.

To use 2 NiMh cells with a Luxeon requires a DC/DC converter circuit to raise the voltage up above 3V.

It's just the nature of the Luxeon beast.

freewheelin'

Enlightened

I started a thread a while back and got a response from Inretech stating thier dropin modules function optimally on non rechargable batts. I like the one I got very much but since I got that post from the source I haven't tried NIMH's and yes it was a dissapointment since I've got 40+ 1800 NIMH's. I put lithiums in it and left it in my van for emergency use.
The post did not say you couldn't use NIMH's but rather it would not work as well as it would with alk.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Direct drive on the IRT module requires higher voltages for better output... Basically, lithiums are good... And if you want rechargeable, the rechargeable alkalines have been suggested...

Otherwise, you can buy yourself some 2/3AA NiMHs and run it basically direct drive from 3 of those guys...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

The inretech, like the CMG Reactor (2AA), is designed to have optimal brightness and runtime on a pair of Lithium AAs. About 25 hours of light per pair. Both are Direct Drive.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

I'm starting to experiment with NiMH/alkaline combinations. I have a 3 AAA light and will be trying 1 alkaline + 2 NiMH cells. I also have a luxeon powered by 4 AA alkalines and will be trying 2 alkaline + 2 NiMH cells. My theory is that the alkalines will provide sufficient internal resistance to prevent excessive current flow.

Latest posts