BRIGHTEST? M2XC4 Neutral OR TK40? woohoo BEAMSHOTS!!

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Ok, I'm new here and lovecpf!!! I have been looking over threads for hours here and see so many conflicting comments that go back and forth on these two lights. I have $150 for a light. Should I get the Eagletac M2XC4 Neutral White OR the Fenix TK40? I would like to get the brightest light out of those two. Thanks guys! :wave:

Jay611j has posted beamshots on the second page! :grin2:

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: BRIGHTEST? M2XC4 Neutral OR TK40? I have $150 burning a hole!

Ok, I'm new here and lovecpf!!! I have been looking over threads for hours here and see so many conflicting comments that go back and forth on these two lights. I have $150 for a light. Should I get the Eagletac M2XC4 Neutral White OR the Fenix TK40? I would like to get the brightest light out of those two. Thanks guys! :wave:

You'll have to define what you consider bright... lighting up a small area the best (overall lumens and quality of spill), or shining the farthest distance. For distance, the M2X is better. For overall output, they're pretty close to each other, but the TK40 will have a better beam pattern for closer-range duties.
:welcome:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

The M2XC4 is more of a spotlight/thrower, while the TK40 has a balanced general-use/EDC beam.

Also of note, there have been quality issues with Eagletacs as of late, you may want to read some reviews before buying.

fareast

Enlightened

I thought all the M2XC4's problems have been ironed out?...

Yes they have! Just ask the retailer which version they have. from the second on they are fine as is mine.

OT:
I have the neutral M2x and a D-mini EX which has a 420L MC-E in it. The cool tint although less in lumens value seems to me as bright as the 666 (or so) lumens of the M2x. The cool one just seems brighter. In use they are different. As said, one is a good flooder with okay throw and the other is a good thrower with okay spill. One is available in two tint and the other is not. Eagletac also has the M2SC4 now which is an M2x with a single MC-E emitter. Also available in a neutral version.

So if you want the brightest: the Fenix TK40 will do fine, the lumens value was in the 600's also (650 I think) and seeing the Fenix has the cooler tint, I think it would win the brightness contest.

The CPF way is to get both and see for yourself...;)

Last edited:

Vicvic

Newly Enlightened

I have an M2XC4 Neutral White and I love it.
TK40 is a very good flashlight but... 8 AA's are 8 AA's.
There is a new Fenix TK30 = TK40 but with 18650 ;)
I see it at 4 7777 and TK30 is cheaper than TK40

Last edited:

aimawayfromface

Newly Enlightened

From light-reviews forums, lumens ratings from an independent source:

EagleTac M2XC4 R2 Cool 696Lumens
Fenix TK40 626Lumens
http://www.light-reviews.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=122

Now, assuming worst case 15% decrease in output going to the neutral LED, M2XC4 neutral should give 592 lumens, which is only 30 lumens shy of the TK40. Would you notice it? Most likely not. However, what you would notice is that the M2XC4 is much throwier than the TK40, and that the neutral tint may render much more contrast and better color rendition depending on your application.

This thread has beamshots comparing M2XC4 and TK40:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231133&highlight=m2xc4+triple+review

my#1hobby

Enlightened

Wow guys, thank you all so much for the replies and great advice! I think after giving these two a hard look, I want the M2XC4 neutral. In the beamshots the warm looks so much more pleasing. I think I will be happy with it. Hmmm..... or I COULD get both as mentioned above......or not...well just this once I guess :crazy:

LW-lite

Newly Enlightened

I have had both a M2XC4 Neutral and a TK40 for a little more than a week now. Every night I do the which one is better test off my back deck. The trees behind my house are 110 yards back. The field in front of them tends to have deer or racoons at night. The racoons run away at the TK40 and just look back at the M2XC4. (I think someone else posted a similiar observation)

They are both simply amazing lights. The TK40 seems to throw better in my opinion. It is just plain a lot of light. Each time I turn it on out there I admit I say WOW. The M2XC4 Neutral is different in a nice way. It seems to be softer and goes through things better.

Both are great lights and have their respective positives. My 11 year old son picks the M2XC4 Neutral as the light he likes better looking at the woods. I haven't decided and like them both. I will try and photo some comparison shots this weekend.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you really like to use a 8xAA configuration when you could have just used 2x18650???

Overall output, the M2CX4 (cool) is definitely higher than the M1X. But the M1X however has better throw.
I'd like to note that in Selfbuild's review, the lux @ 1m, M2XC4 actually has a higher number than M1X, but according to first hand account from a fellow CPF member, M1X has a more focused beam in actual use for long range observations. Meaning the M2XC4 has a focused and very bright beam in short to intermediate ranges (about 300feet<?), then the beam just goes out of focus. But that's M2XC4 with CW. If we're talking about M2XC4 Neutral, then M1X wins in both total output and throw. Although we ARE comparing apples to oranges here.

IMO, TK40's 8xAA configuration would be too much of a hassle. Who would have 8 to 16 AA batteries that's on standby??
Keep in mind they we're talking about NiMH's here, use alkaline and risk leakages if you use turbo mode due to its high drainage.
Total output, I don't know whether TK40 out the M1X is the winner, but throw, M1X probably wins by a huge margin.

I got this impression from after reading a few reviews of each light, and sorry I cbb to reference them. haha

I don't have TK40 or M1X, but i do have a M2XC4 Neutral, and i think the reviews are just about right, EXCEPT for its built quality. Eagletac IMO is not up to the Jetbeam standards yet, rough edges EVERWHERE! *thumbs down*
Oh, as for my 1st hand experience, I think max throw at 300 feet is just about right. From my house to the end of my street is probably about 150 metres, I shine it right down on turbo, and I see nothing (there's wired fences about 1.8m high at the end of the street).

Last edited:

my#1hobby

Enlightened

I have had both a M2XC4 Neutral and a TK40 for a little more than a week now. Every night I do the which one is better test off my back deck. The trees behind my house are 110 yards back. The field in front of them tends to have deer or racoons at night. The racoons run away at the TK40 and just look back at the M2XC4. (I think someone else posted a similiar observation)

They are both simply amazing lights. The TK40 seems to throw better in my opinion. It is just plain a lot of light. Each time I turn it on out there I admit I say WOW. The M2XC4 Neutral is different in a nice way. It seems to be softer and goes through things better.

Both are great lights and have their respective positives. My 11 year old son picks the M2XC4 Neutral as the light he likes better looking at the woods. I haven't decided and like them both. I will try and photo some comparison shots this weekend.
Thanks LW-lite, Photos would be great! :popcorn:

my#1hobby

Enlightened

Do you really like to use a 8xAA configuration when you could have just used 2x18650???

Overall output, the M2CX4 (cool) is definitely higher than the M1X. But the M1X however has better throw.
I'd like to note that in Selfbuild's review, the lux @ 1m, M2XC4 actually has a higher number than M1X, but according to first hand account from a fellow CPF member, M1X has a more focused beam in actual use for long range observations. Meaning the M2XC4 has a focused and very bright beam in short to intermediate ranges (about 300 metres<?), then the beam just goes out of focus. But that's M2XC4 with CW. If we're talking about M2XC4 Neutral, then M1X wins in both total output and throw. Although we ARE comparing apples to oranges here.

IMO, TK40's 8xAA configuration would be too much of a hassle. Who would have 8 to 16 AA batteries that's on standby??
Keep in mind they we're talking about NiMH's here, use alkaline and risk leakages if you use turbo mode due to its high drainage.
Total output, I don't know whether TK40 out the M1X is the winner, but throw, M1X probably wins by a huge margin.

I got this impression from after reading a few reviews of each light, and sorry I cbb to reference them. haha

I don't have TK40 or M1X, but i do have a M2XC4 Neutral, and i think the reviews are just about right, EXCEPT for its built quality. Eagletac IMO is not up to the Jetbeam standards yet, rough edges EVERWHERE! *thumbs down*
Oh, as for my 1st hand experience, I think max throw at 300 feet is just about right. From my house to the end of my street is probably about 150 metres, I shine it right down on turbo, and I see nothing (there's wired fences about 1.8m high at the end of the street).
Yeah the battery config on the TK40 sounds really annoying. I looked at the Jetbeam M1X and for some reason I don't like the skinny battery tube on it. I like the shorter fatter lights. BUT, Once I get the M2XC4 I might become "hooked" and have the need for more power :tinfoil:

Painful Chafe

Enlightened

Does the neutral not throw as far at the standard cool version. I took my son to the park the other night(he is 7) and shinned my M2CX4 cool on a patch of trees 140 meters(460 feet) away and it lit the trees up very nicely. It made my son say "Holy Cow!". That seems strange to me that your ET doesn't. Even my T20C2 will shine some usable light at that distance.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

well neutral doesn't mean it doesn't throw as well, but neutral white version inherently has less output than the cool white version, and therefore translate so. I think 800lumens (CW) compared to 665lumens (NW).

I think lighting up the trees is a different story since its so big.
At 150metres, I'm trying to light up wired fence that has significantly less surface for the light to reflect off, as behind the fence is the railway line (i.e. nothing to reflect off for a long way)
I think I'll probably see something too at 150m in front of a large patch of trees, but will you be able to pick up the bird on the tree? That's the difference.

elipem01

Newly Enlightened

Keep in mind you can get an M2XC4 at 40% off right now at eagletac-store.com using the code eagle40.

elugelab

Newly Enlightened

Keep in mind you can get an M2XC4 at 40% off right now at eagletac-store.com using the code eagle40.

Nah...All their lights are sold out.
Would have been a great deal for M2XC4 at €60. Of course they were all sold out, when I found out.:mecry:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think it's too late, because it's out of stock.

Regards, Patric

WHT_GE8

Enlightened

Jetbeam M1X!!! Quality is top notch, throw is amazing. The ability to program low mode all the way from 10 to 450 is very very useful. I had the chance to play with a TK40 and although it was very bright, my M1X was brighter. Plus 8 AA's makes it really heavy, and the UI isn't as good as the Jetbeams nice and simple UI.

elipem01

Newly Enlightened

Whoops my bad. Last I checked they were in stock but it had been a few days ago.