Asbestos exposure

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took roughly 40 for it to get my grandma.

Your best bet would be to check on some more medical-type websites. You're much more likely to get useful info there.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, I just had a chest X-ray taken yesterday to check for just that. 30+ yrs working in a factory where there were possible exposure areas. I have no concrete symptoms at this time, I'm just getting it checked out. Will take it from there.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I worked for Telecom (P.M.G.) 30 years ago often running cable close to asbestos lagged pipes in factories, Xrays show some scaring in my lungs but no problems yet and the Doctors say that there won't necessarily be any.
Norm

vtunderground

Enlightened
It depends on other factors too... smoking is believed to double your risk of developing lung disease from asbestos exposure.

R@ndom

Enlightened
Well that all a teenaged non-smoker who hightailed it out of the abandoned house as soon as he saw asbestos spray painted on the wall needed to know. :oops:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that all a teenaged non-smoker who hightailed it out of the abandoned house as soon as he saw asbestos spray painted on the wall needed to know. :oops:
Well I'm not an expert but that short of time probably means your safe :)

Maybe someone can +1 that lol

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really only a serious concern if the asbestos is disturbed. But I still wouldn't choose to smoke weed/play beerpong/whatever you were planning to do in that particular house.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disease is very unlikely to result from a single, high-level exposure, or from a short period of exposure to lower levels

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the siding on my house is asbestos tiles under the aluminum siding. It is completely harmless just sitting there. It is when breaking it or abrading it hard enough to cause the small fibers to get airborne and inhaled that it is a danger. There are many other materials with small particles that can be a danger to inhale from fiberglass down to silica dust (dirt).

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
If you are going to do urban-exploration, I suggest you get an above average good mask. The asbestos isn't good for you, but the mold is often what gets you first. If you feel an irritation in your throat or lungs, run out of there, because that means you've been overexposed to something, probably mold.

Now, don't let this scare you too much, you're probably completely fine and the worst you'd experience should be a minor cold or fever.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
How well does an N95 particulate respirator do? I only ask because the house I'm currently working in was built during the 50's, and never updated. So far, over the length of the summer, I've removed two (probable) asbestos tile floors, and have worked near god-knows what kind of molds. I've been pretty good with wearing my respirators, but was wondering if they were effective against asbestos or mold.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I better consult my doctor then... :sick::green:

Let's see, relatively high exposure levels over a long period of time. 5 months, approximately. Hope that wasn't long enough to do some damage.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 'told', that a single fiber of asbestos can be so small and light that if it should, say, detach from a ceiling tile or like, and not influenced by outside forces, can take up to 3 weeks to reach the floor. That means to me, that danger is forever present anywhere near where it is in use.