M2XC4 versus LX2

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more I learn about this hobby, the more fascinated and appreciative I become of the smaller, higher quality lights. The Quark lights really impress me – small, great quality construction and beam. The Novatac 120E impresses me – don't own an Ra yet but a 170T is on my wish list.

This morning I took my Surefire LX2 (small) and EagleTac M2XC4 (large) out on a pre-dawn dog walk. Approximately 40 yards away in a soccer field is a goal – the only light being the light of a moonlit sky filtered by low clouds. I thought it would be interesting to pit the relatively large, 3 emitter, claimed 800 lumen M2XC4 against the small, 1 emitter, claimed 200 lumen Surefire LX2. Forgive the shaky image quality – like another post HERE, I am trying to hold 2 dog leashes, a flashlight and take a photo with no tripod or any other support.

This is the shot from the EagleTac – again, it is somewhat shaky, but as far as exposure is concerned, it is un retouched – the Exif data can be found HERE.

4013950526_b4f9a57d70.jpg

Here's the shot from the LX2 – I didn't notice when I took it that I had not quite centered the beam on the goal – but the spill still lit it. Here's the Exif data for this photo.

No doubt the beam from the M2XC4 is stronger – looks like a laser coming in from the side. But when you consider the size:

And look at the bezels:

it gives a new appreciation for what the Surefire is able to do. It's almost the perfect package for size, quality and beam.

I'm hooked – I'll have to do more of these type comparisons and post the results – but for now I hope you find this useful.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did the same comparison!

It really is impressive how well the LX2 can keep up with the M2XC4 taking into account size & emitter differences!

I love my LX2 even more now... if it's possible!

:D

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is yours posted? I really enjoy your reviews - mine are 'lame' compared to yours!

There was a lot more spill from the M2XC4, but with 3 emitters blasting away, you'd think so.

In my never ending sickness, I finally gave in and ordered a T1A - it will arrive today. Perhaps I should take out a homeowner's insurance rider to cover the value of all these darn lights!!!
:shrug:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh sorry, I was a little confusing :crazy:

I just finished work, and was comparing them in the carpark, no beamshots were taken...

However, I do plan on updating my thread soon!

:D

I also plan on doing some further distance shots... just have to wait a few more weeks... have a few things coming up :)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotcha - I'll look forward to it! I hope to post more as well - next I'm hoping to compare the M2XC4 with the Jetbeam M1X, plus a Surefire 6P with a Nailbender SST-50 drop in.

If I can find the time...:whistle:

strinq

Enlightened
If I may say so, the spill from the M2 totally destroyed the LX2...but that's expected...
Try pitting the surefire to other single die lights like the T20C2/TK12 etc for a more even comparison.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I may say so, the spill from the M2 totally destroyed the LX2...but that's expected...
Try pitting the surefire to other single die lights like the T20C2/TK12 etc for a more even comparison.

No doubt - I'll be interested to do the same thing with my Jetbeam M1X - which I will do tomorrow. Wasn't really looking for an 'even comparison' - just had both lights and wanted to try and capture how strong the LX2 is compared to what is arguably, a 'monster.' And the photo (older camera) did not do it justice -
I'll keep this thread going with more photos tomorrow.

Thanks!

:twothumbs

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
After have owned a couple lights of M2XC4 output levels and a Surefire LX2, the LX2 has been the keeper. I'm amazed at its output and throw for its size. I've owned many Surefires, Barbolights, Ra Lights, JetBeams, EagleTacs, Fenix lights, and Olights and for all around usability, the LX2 is the best light I have ever owned. It is small, can run for a very long time on low and can reach out and touch someone at a very lung distance when needed. I would recommend it to anyone and this thread reinforces that.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
After have owned a couple lights of M2XC4 output levels and a Surefire LX2, the LX2 has been the keeper. I'm amazed at its output and throw for its size. I've owned many Surefires, Barbolights, Ra Lights, JetBeams, EagleTacs, Fenix lights, and Olights and for all around usability, the LX2 is the best light I have ever owned. It is small, can run for a very long time on low and can reach out and touch someone at a very lung distance when needed. I would recommend it to anyone and this thread reinforces that.

Well said! I couldn't agree more...

Surefire's esteem within this forum is well deserved.

:twothumbs

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

I agree 100%. The L2X is perhaps, the finest production LED light ever made.

youreacrab

Enlightened
love it. the LX2 is an instant and eternal classic. i'll have and use mine regardless of what more powerful newcomer comes. unless its an improved LX2 :D

Vicvic

Newly Enlightened
I have an M2XC4 Neutral White and a T20C2 Neutral White and I love them.
This are two different flashlights, like apples and oranges, more spill, more throw. :)

Last edited:

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
I am so glad at all the research I did on this light. I've never owned a high quality, powerful flashlight before and jumped in the the LX2. Boy am I glad I did. It's just am amazing light and I hardly even know it's in my pocket! I carry the F04 with it and it lights up an entire room, even my whole 2 acre back yard get's lit up well with it. Awesome.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you change that SF "whatever" to a TK-10/11/12 or M20 or Jet-IIIM etc etc most people would be saying the same thing.

In short, there's nothing to "wow" about the SF especially after considering its price.
it gives a new appreciation for what the Surefire is able to do. It's almost the perfect package for size, quality and beam.

I'm hooked – I'll have to do more of these type comparisons and post the results – but for now I hope you find this useful.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
In short, there's nothing to "wow" about the SF especially after considering its price.

Wrong again. Although I enjoy the ownership of several brands of lights, I am under the firm conviction that my Surefires are the lights that I feel best about spending alot of money on. Tell me of another company that you can beat the living snot out of their lights...and if they break, they will repair or replace them for life. Go ahead and put a value on that sir....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you change that SF "whatever" to a TK-10/11/12 or M20 or Jet-IIIM etc etc most people would be saying the same thing.

I have an M20 - I would tend to disagree. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I expect you'll find many opinions that are different from yours. Aren't we lucky there are so many choices? But if I'm stuck in a bad situation and can have only one.....
LX2