Identity Theft - Credit Fraud - Officers Pls Help

Floating Spots

Enlightened
My mother seems to have had her identity stolen.
This is in the early stages and her (and my) head are spinning. I'm just looking for some input....

Credit cards, lines of credit, etc are being opened in her name, using her social security number. She found out by accident. One of the companies called to confirm her birthdate, since it was transposed.

After filing the three fraud flags and receiving two of the three credit reports, there are at least 5 unauthorized accounts. I'm assuming that there will be more. They started showing up about 3 months ago. They are currently being paid off on time!?! I'm assuming that paying them for a few months while racking up more is beneficial. The victim wouldn't know until payment is stopped on all of them.

So, I had her file the three fraud flags and contact the local police.
What else should be done?

We also have the address that the cards are going to. Would it be beneficial to call the local police there? How about going to the post office and having the mail in my mother's name forwarded here? Or would that tip them off? Is that a bad thing?

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide,
Jon

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Identity Theft - Credit Fraud - Officers Pls H

If the other address is out of State, you and your mother need to chat with the FBI, in person. I would hazard that some of the fraudulent commerce is interstate. That could also be a hook to involve the FBI. Your mother's case may be the tip of a huge ID theft ring. If the address is a Post Office Box, that also makes it an instant Federal Case.

Tomas

Banned

Go to this FTC page now.

There is some information there, and also a link to another federal government page that you need to get to.

Good luck!
tomsig02.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just an FYI, Credit Card Fraud is usually investigated by the Secret Service. Since mail fraud is also involved, the Postal Inspectors usually investigate.

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

FBI? Secret Service? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
After notifying the credit agencies, make sure they and your credit card companies know to contact you or your mother by telephone for oral confirmation before opening any more accounts in your names.
I contacted the authorities,and, in my experience, no one, including the PO, seemed to be the slightest bit interested.. the local police didn't even want to take the report, at first, saying -- "the crime didn't occur in our county" -- but they were mistaken; the responsible county is the one in which the victim lives...

MichiganMan

Enlightened

Also contact your state attorney general at your state capital to see what resources they have available. This is a particularily vile crime for the victims as besides money (and much of it) the thief steals the victim's good name for years to come. Its also one of the, if not the fastest growing crime in the country and as such law enforcement (especially at state and federal levels) have vigorously pursued perpetrators where they could be identified.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I had the name and town, and possibly address, of the perp. -- the cops weren't interested.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

All this advice looks knowledgable, accurate and reasonable to me. This is no surprise considering who the responders are. Dano, if you didn't know already, is a LEO.

I might take a shotgun approach and use every agency and legal tactic I thought would help.

I'll just comment on what I know a little about. A.G.'s office, definitly. They are in fact your attorneys. You pay their retainer every day. Their main concern is to protect the citizens of the state. They have a working relationship with your legislature, your state courts, the P.A's office and law enforcement. They really tend to get rialed if the crime was committed by an out of state entity.

Hope this goes well for you.

Floating Spots

Enlightened

Thanks Guys.
I really do appreciate the help.

[ QUOTE ]
TedtheLed said:
I had the name and town, and possibly address, of the perp. -- the cops weren't interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the frustrating things.
The credit cards and bills are going to an address we have. However, my mother called the police on Tuesday and was told someone would contact her. Today she tried again, no one seem to want to even talk to her. They originally asked why she even wanted to report it.
Now, I do understand that any agency is a bureaucracy, but to not even to be able to talk to who you need is frustrating. If it weren't for the feedback here, I don't wouldn't have even known what to do...

Thanks again,
Jon

mrorange

Newly Enlightened

Did your Mother contact her local police or the police where the offender resides? A lot of time, your local police can get better cooperation from another jurisdiction than if a citizen from another area calls them cold. Most P.D's are concerned first and foremost with their residents FIRST, people who don't live in their jurisdiction usually come in second. My department takes these kind of complaints seriously and follows up on them, but not all agencies are as on the ball... If she hasn't already, have your Mother file a report with her local police, they should be obligated to act on it, if nothing else, they can contact the agency that has jurisdiction over the possible offender and have them do a follow up on their end.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

Jon-

Sorry to hear such news... identity theft is one of the most pervasive crimes that are truly difficult to resolve. To address several areas, I'll start with this:

[*] Victim's of identify theft have a reportable crime that falls under the jurisdiction of the law enforcement entity in which the victim resides. Depending on the Department, resources to investigate identity theft is not as prevalent as they are for crimes against persons, as opposed to crimes against property. Identity theft as it were. Regardless, this is the type of crime that needs to be followed up on with true determination by the victim. This may seem incredibly unfair, but the fact of the matter remains, only the victim and not the detective can and should provide personal identifying information and passwords to a creditor. This is absolutely critical in resolving credit card fraud in conjunction with identity theft.

For example: Any and all fraudulent accounts opened up in your mother's name, that you are aware of, should have a follow-up contact from the victim to the security department of the creditor. This will involve a long and detailed explanation of (1) How she identified the account as fraudulent; (2) How she can identify herself as the true person represented by her Social Security number, i.e. referencing the creditor to compare the information she provides to the information provided by one of the three major reporting credit agencies (Experian, Equifax, TransUnion); and (3) Closure of the fraudulent account. Creditors' security departments are aware of the need to go through this lengthy telephone process - both parties need to recognize that it is an essential step.

[*] All areas of credit must now be placed in a "monitoring pool" via the three major credit reporting agencies. That means establishing passwords for all open credit accounts to avoid the fraudulent change of information that would subsequently aid/benefit the criminal. The active monitoring will involve a notification to you, via telephone, mail, email of any changes or inquiries to your credit. This is an exceedingly important part of identifying and tracking any attempts at compromising your credit. Don't forget to renew this monitoring service via the three major creditors. It requires a specific request to do so. And speaking of requests...

[*] Contact the Social Security Administration to have your mother's Social Security Number flagged. The SSA needs to know that a police report was filed and a documented report number has been generated. They have a specific protocol for addressing outside attempts to use your mother's SSN. This request needs to be updated with the SSA every six months.

[*] Notify the Identity Theft Clearinghouse (877-I-D-T-H-E-F-T). Tomas beat me to it and posted the link. See above.

[*] Be prepared to continue with such efforts for the next year and a half, or longer. This requires a great deal of diligence on your behalf, but it is necessary to stay on the heels of those that would attempt to make further gains with your mother's established ID and credit.

[ QUOTE ]
We also have the address that the cards are going to. Would it be beneficial to call the local police there? How about going to the post office and having the mail in my mother's name forwarded here? Or would that tip them off? Is that a bad thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not call the local police where the billing is going to. This information needs to be given to the local authority where you originally reported the crime. This information is already available to the creditors, but the creditors must be informed of your current status in order for them to properly document this information for the investigators. Unfortunately, this address is one of several different locales made available for pickup for the suspects to have a temporary mail stop. Whatever else you do, do NOT go to the Post Office to have your mother's name/mail forwarded to that address. This would be what we consider to be a major No-No. You are actually assisting the suspects in verifying to the creditors that the address change is legitimate. You don't want to do that.

I'm not the premier expert in this kind of fraud... it is still a relatively new area of criminal investigation for which investigators have only been exposed to in the last 8 to 10 years. It is a constantly changing scheme that follows many different routes to achieve the same goal. Numerous police departments simply do not have a dedicated financial crimes section to deal with this. The suspects in these cases evolve from one person to the next, making it extremely difficult to identify and isolate an individual for prosecution. What I have written here is only the tip of the iceberg - the difficulty with which investigators and creditors alike face in such a daunting task is incredible. There are no easy solutions.

I wish I could help out more. I've had a family member go through this as well and it was the most frustrating event that I could have ever imagined. Four years later and there are still problems that crop up. Truly incredible.

Good luck, Jon.

-Jim

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Valuable information, but very disturbing.

Is there any way to avoid becoming a victim in the first place?

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

it took only a minute for my "creditor' to establish that the cell phone account in my name was a fraud. he merely called the phone number for which I was being billed and asked for me. no one seemed to have ever heard of anyone by my name..mm..not only that, the guy who answered the phone gladly told me the name and town of the person who gave him the phone -- he seemed surprised to hear I was getting the bills for his phone calls..
as a I said before, the police weren't interested in following up anything..

to avoid becoming a victim, don't give your real social security to anyone..including a certain Charter Cable TV installer named Luis in Malibu..

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Keep in mind for future reference in dealing with creditors who may come after your mom. These accounts were opened fraudulently, they don't have your mom's signature or verification. SHE DOESN"T OWE THEM ANYTHING. She is being helpful if she gives them all the information she has and to make things easier should do it asap.
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any way to avoid becoming a victim in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]
No sure ways as theft can happen anywhere you use your Credit Card or Social Security#. Just protect them and especially protect your SS#.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast

after reading this thread i think i'm going to open a separate bank account to fund my CC. this is very disturbing indeed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ewick

Enlightened

Floating Spots,

Check out this thread. There may be some information in there that you might be able to put to use. Hope this helps.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

Make sure not to throw anything away with your information on it. Dumpster divers are one way of getting this info. Always shred this information.

Floating Spots

Enlightened

Well, here is what has happened so far.

- The three credit agencies have been notified.
- Most of the account that have been opened (that are listed) have been notified (except one that has multiple fraud departments and keeps shuffling her around).
- The local police have been called (but have not called back yet).
-The local FBI office was called. They said to close any current bank accounts and open new ones (before the money disappears.

As for prevention, I have a strong feeling that this information came out of a hospital where she was treated in OH. The area that the address is in is a suburb around the hospital. Those are the only people in that area that have any connection with her SSN. She hasn't called the hospital yet. I don't know who to talk to or if it would do any good anyways...
We both already currently shred all documents before throwing them out. If you aren't doing this, START.

Floating Spots

Enlightened

Oh, I forgot this tidbit, too.
The credit agencies' fraud flags are voluntary.
As I have been told, some people may disregard the information and open accounts anyway.
The flags are very short lived, too.
For the three agencies, one lasts 3 months, the other two only last 6 months. After that they are removed. One of the three agencies will extend it to 7 years with a police report (proof of fraud). The other two?

Latest posts