Surefire: E1B, E1L and/or A2 Aviator

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
I think it is time for one or two surefires. I am looking at these 3 models. I like the idea of the Aviator because it would give me an incan (would be my first nice incan), with a nice, long runtime led component, in a single package.

However, I am a sucker for small, single cell EDC-type lights, especially CR123 based. So I am drawn to the E1's, but I am not sure which is more useful the 5/80 lumen E1B or the the 3/45 lum E1L, with its longer runtimes.

I am not against picking up more then one of these-- I was thinking the Aviator and one of the smaller ones. On the other hand, the Aviator seems to fill the bill by itself. Conversely, I could forego an incan... maybe it's just a passing impulse, and stick to one of the little guys, and save myself some $$.

Perhaps, though, the Aviator is not the best choice for my first incan? I like the mix with LED's, but maybe I should keep the incan totally separate from the led torch? Hmmm...:thinking:

I know there are a lot of surefire mods out there too, so maybe potential modding will factor into the decision (but I am unfamiliar with modding at this seminal point in my lighting education)

One other thing: where do people recommend acquiring this brand-- direct from SF, or are there deals to be had?

Opinions and advice welcome and appreciated.

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
If I may talk to myself for a moment: I am surfing the SF site, and wondering if the G2/G3 nitrolon, or C2/C3 centurion might be better and more pragmatic incan solutions, rather then the aviator. Of the two the G2 nitro seems the most cost effective, but the C2 looks cooler, in the pictures anyway.

jugg2

Enlightened
You will not be dissapointed with the A2. The 2 modes makes it mucg more versatile than a G2 or C2, and with the smaller diameter and pocketclip it is very pocket friendly. I have a G2 but you cant really EDC it. Since I got my A2 Y/G it has not left my pocket!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a 6P and a G2, and if I had to do it over again, I think I would've gotten one of the 3-cell versions of these lights. Very versatile with the P90 style drop ins, both incan and led, 2xLiIon batteries, 2AA, etc etc

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a 6P and a G2, and if I had to do it over again, I think I would've gotten one of the 3-cell versions of these lights. Very versatile with the P90 style drop ins, both incan and led, 2xLiIon batteries, 2AA, etc etc

Exactly. While the 2 Cell lights are easier to carry, the 3 cell bodies are quite handy since there are a myriad of configurations (batteries, drop-ins) you can put into them.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:naughty: I keep trying to tell people!

NE450No2

Enlightened
Get the A2 first. It is my favorite and most used handheld. When I leave the house it is my EDC.

Around the house I carry my E1e ALL the time.

I might pick up a G2L or the A2 if I go outside after dark, or maybe the M6 :devil: but I always have the E1e in my pocket. I EDC it when I leave the house as well.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are all great lights, but I'd recommend the A2 without a doubt! The versatility of the A2 is unmatched. Plus, it is not only an incand, but a fully regulated incand (won't dim over the life of the batteries unlike pretty much ALL other incands out there).

If for some strange reason I had to get rid of all of my lights but one, I'd keep my A2. :twothumbs

On the topic of where to buy SF lights, there are definitely deals to be had. In fact, buying direct from SF is probably the worst deal. :laughing: Shoot me a PM and I can point you in the right direction. :)

-Robert

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is time for one or two surefires. I am looking at these 3 models. I like the idea of the Aviator because it would give me an incan (would be my first nice incan), with a nice, long runtime led component, in a single package.

However, I am a sucker for small, single cell EDC-type lights, especially CR123 based...
I have an A2, and it's a great light. The feel and handling is excellent, the LED low is very broad yet bright enough for many tasks. The incan. high has good color rendition, especially outdoors.

However time and technology marches on. If you want a 2-cell Surefire, I'd suggest the A2L, or LX2.

If you don't mind spending the money, one of my favorite Surefire lights (after all these years) is still the U2.

The E1B is a good choice for single-cell. There are also non-Surefire options of similar quality, e.g, Ra Clicky.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is an excellent first Incan IMHO!

It was my first Incan Surefire, and I now want more and more incans!

Regulated, bright, efficient. Enough said!

Plus it is such an original light!

:twothumbs

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

However, I am a sucker for small, single cell EDC-type lights, especially CR123 based. So I am drawn to the E1's, but I am not sure which is more useful the 5/80 lumen E1B or the the 3/45 lum E1L, with its longer runtimes.

I am not against picking up more then one of these-- I was thinking the Aviator and one of the smaller ones. On the other hand, the Aviator seems to fill the bill by itself. Conversely, I could forego an incan... maybe it's just a passing impulse, and stick to one of the little guys, and save myself some $$.

Perhaps, though, the Aviator is not the best choice for my first incan? I like the mix with LED's, but maybe I should keep the incan totally separate from the led torch? Hmmm...:thinking:

I know there are a lot of surefire mods out there too, so maybe potential modding will factor into the decision (but I am unfamiliar with modding at this seminal point in my lighting education)

One other thing: where do people recommend acquiring this brand-- direct from SF, or are there deals to be had?

Opinions and advice welcome and appreciated.
You should definitely get an Aviator!! (buy from eBay for better prices)

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
This is a tough one. I think I am going to go for an A2 for as my first incan, and as a compromise LED/incan with EDC capability.

I am sure I will also end up with an E1B/L, if I can figure out which, at some point, just because I think they look really cool, and I like the simple UI. I do have the RA Clicky mentioned by joema, which is very fun, so that should tide me over for awhile as far as edc cr123's go.

I have to say though, I am pretty sure that I will ALSO end up with one of the 3 cell versions, down the line. Sounds like it would be fun to play around with some simple drop in's to use different bulbs and batteries.

Looks like I may end up with a few surefire's before my collecting bug fades, but for now I think it's the A2, based on the overwhelming accolades it elicits.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is an excellent first Incan IMHO!

It was my first Incan Surefire, and I now want more and more incans!

Regulated, bright, efficient. Enough said!

Plus it is such an original light!

:twothumbs

Exactly! A2 is a real nice hybrid incan. Got 2 and still contemplating another one. :eek:

This is a tough one. I think I am going to go for an A2 for as my first incan, and as a compromise LED/incan with EDC capability.

I am sure I will also end up with an E1B/L, if I can figure out which, at some point, just because I think they look really cool, and I like the simple UI. I do have the RA Clicky mentioned by joema, which is very fun, so that should tide me over for awhile as far as edc cr123's go.

I have to say though, I am pretty sure that I will ALSO end up with one of the 3 cell versions, down the line. Sounds like it would be fun to play around with some simple drop in's to use different bulbs and batteries.

Looks like I may end up with a few surefire's before my collecting bug fades, but for now I think it's the A2, based on the overwhelming accolades it elicits.

Head on over to the Marketplace, there's plenty of A2 being sold/traded right now. Lots of other Surefires available too.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have an A2, so I'll comment on the other two.

I like the E1B because of the clip, but its lack of grip is quite noticeable. The E1L is easier to hold. And despite Surefire's ratings, my E1L is the same brightness on high as my E1B.

Short and Round

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a e1b Backup. I really like it due to the fact it is a bezel down carry. However the high comes on first then low. If you do not like that the LX1 should be out the last part of November:popcorn:. As far as where to buy it, I use Kevin at brighflashlight.com. His website is not finnished, so call him. He is listed on Surefires Website as a offical delaer in Ocal, Fl.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over at the Markplace, a brand new in box A2 white round body can be found for $95 + $5 shipping! Great deal.

James...:)

Too good a deal to pass up and mine should be here within the next few days - they are almost sold out now though so hurry if you want one.

Round body - $95 + $5 shipping
Square body - $105 + $5 shipping

Mine was shipped within a day of paying - I can't wait to have a play with it.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 is an excellent first Incan IMHO! :twothumbs

Don't listen to this character, he'll lead you to financial ruin and a insatiable desire for Surefire products! :p

FWIW it is a nice light... my second attempt at ordering one online is in transit

*crosses fingers*

KiwiMark, interesting signature line... I'm sure I've seen that comment before somewhere :thinking:

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
I will go against the grain here

Get the E1L, I just completed an 8 week 9000 mile trip across the United States learned a lot best light used it for everything Mammoth Cave , Jewel Cave, BlackHills, BadLands, Glacier NP , Craters of the Moon NP, White Sands, Roswell, Blackouts in Hotel/motel, camping, hiking, Vegas, Dust storm in Texas, Map reading used it for everything you could imagine .

Used low most of the time and the 45 lumens on mine is way brighter than my 45 lumen singlespeed E2L, cant quite figure that one out

kicked it dropped it abused the s#!t out of it, one cell last forever(i do use a F04 beam diffuser on it, so i got flood and throw, crap this light is tough to beat

Swiss Army Farmer was the most used knife . Used the Rukus only a couple of times but I really needed it at those times, and all fires started with a firesteel

simple three tools and a Klean Kanteen water bottle for the wife and me

I learned you don't need all the hooplah and BS , small, simple and easy to carry want to make last longer throw a couple of extra cells in your pocket , hell your covered for a month

I'll never go back to all that oneupsmanship

Of course if you love to do the latest and greatest go for it, but in the long run simple is best in my opinion , durability is what counts and keep'em low no need to over do it

Be Cool
Be Safe

P220C

Newly Enlightened
Between the two little ones I prefer the E1B. The clip is great, and the runtime is close enough to the E1L as to not matter.

I have carried the E1B since middle of '08 and love it.

My dad got the E1L about the same time and loves it.