Quick review: Tank007-E07 EZ-AA clone?? edited end of post #1 with problem found

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got this in the mail today. Its the TANK007-E07 from DX

PA160638.jpg

It looks like a EZ-AA clone, i dont own one so i cannot compare but i was quite pleasantly surprised at this light. I can't remember how much i paid for this but it couldnt have been much above $10 or so.

Knurling: nice, easy to grip but not too aggressive, its something like the knurling on my EX10 but the EX10's seems just a tad more sandpapery (sorry if i can't get my impressions across).

After lubricating the head with Break Free, its a cinch to turn, operating this light one handed is not a problem at all. This light is a one mode twisty by the way.

Cells: used a Trustfire 14500 and Soshine NiMH, no problems with either, but there is a slight rattle when you shake the light without turning it on. Once the head is tightened and the light is on, no rattle.

There are no springs in this light i couldnt get a shot down the battery tube but there isnt a spring there that i can see and when the cells are inserted there is no 'bounce' to indicate there is a spring.

Weird thing:-

In the pictures below, you will see that there is a lanyard attachment ring (not removable) and also that there are 2 symbols on the bottom (lock and unlock) tailcap area.

This is kind of weird as the tailcap portion can be unscrewed one entire revolution and then locks there. I have unscrewed it while the light is on and naturally it deactivates the light. Perhaps this is a 'lock out' function that addresses the problem of losing the head of a light due to it untwisting while in the pocket. If that is the purpose, then it surely works fine.

However, without being able to detect any signs of an O-ring in the tailcap portion, i would strongly hesitate getting this light wet if it was in 'lock out' mode.

Over all, first impressions are good, seems to be a decent, simply operated light which would make a good first gift for a non-flashaholic or a beater/loaner light for us.

On to the pictures:-

Comparison with Nitecore EX10

PA160639.jpg

Picture comparing lights (from top to bottom)
Jetbeam Jet I Pro v2.0, Akoray K106, Akoray AAA, Tank007(E07)

PA160646.jpg

Picture of the head showing Tank light

PA160642.jpg

Picture of head assembly

PA160643.jpg

Picture of head from the bottom (note no spring)

PA160644-1.jpg

Picture of the lanyard ring showing the lock/unlock symbol
(note: this is when partially loosened when fully tightened and fully loosened, the lanyard ring is exactly (or nearly) opposite the symbols, think 12 and 6 o'clock on a watch face)

PA160641.jpg

Picture (side profile) of the lanyard ring

PA160645.jpg

and now, even though its mid afternoon here in Singapore, BEAMSHOTS

Shut my curtains, this is the shot of the walk-in wardrobe

PA160650.jpg

TANK 007 E07 on 14500

PA160651.jpg

Control

PA160648.jpg

Again on 14500.

PA160649.jpg

White wall beamshot range roughly 5 ft.

PA160653.jpg

EDIT:
Just did some drop tests from about 5 ft on to a tiled floor, dropped 3 times, no issues, light still works fine.

2nd Edit: Earlier on, i posted that the tailcap portion can be twisted about 180 degrees. This light has now exhibited some problems after a bit of twisting, the light will flicker and starts getting cranky i.e. doesnt want to work. Twisting the head tight and simply using the tailcap portion is now a nightmare. I have contacted DX CSE and am awaiting their reply.

The other sample that i have cannot twist 180 degrees, it goes only about 90 degrees and this light has zero problems.

Note also that the 1st light's ability to revolve 180 degrees was apparent even before conducting any drop test.

Last edited:

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
Re: Quick review: Tank007-E07 EZ-AA clone??

Nice review and pics. :twothumbsI'm currently trial running mine on my keychain, and so far I don't mind the little added size and weight over a AAA light. My E07 also has the creamiest, purest white tint of any of my lights. :DThe only concern I have thus far is the reverse-polarity protection ring on the head. If I've done the math right, if you insert a cell backwards, you'll effectively hard-short the battery, as the raised ring in the head is grounded to the battery tube, which is in turn connected to the positive terminal of the battery through the negative contact in the tail. I guess you could get lucky if the shrink wrap makes contact before the neg terminal does, but care should still be taken when reloading this little guy.Other than that little worry, I am loving this light so far!

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice little light,
I ordered 1 of each from DX & KD, received the DX one a few days ago.
The plan is to cut them down to be clones of EZCR2.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought you were supposed to screw the head down tight and twist the bottom to turn it on and off. Screwing the head down compresses the cell against the sponge dounut on the bottom to stop battery rattle and then tightening the bottom pushes the contact up through the donut to make the connection. Using the bottom as a twisty switch works much better than using the top.
Turn the tailcap towards the 'lock' to stop it from working, turn it towards the open lock to 'unlock and use it'.

Oh, and be really careful when using 14500's. If the top of the cell is wide enough to touch the brass either side of that + contact it will short. The + end of most Lithium cells is wider than a normal AA.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic

So how easy is it to get to the emitter for a swap?

Nice looking light for $13...

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened

Hey Hyperloop. I see you got number 559. I got 562 !
329 here! I would've expected a higher number, as I waited a few days before ordering.

Heck, I'm surprised that each light has a unique serial! Most of my other Tanks' SN#s match the DX product photos. :laughing:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, i actually bought 2 of these, for 1 of them the 'lock out' tailcap can turn nearly a full revolution while the other only turns for, like a quarter turn or so e.g. from 12 - 3 pm on a clock.

the one that turns more (which was also dropped on purpose) is now a bit fussy with how it wants to work, i'm going to get the tailcap in the optimal position and then superglue it in place.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast

329 here! I would've expected a higher number, as I waited a few days before ordering.

I got two at the same time. The other one is numner 89. Probably all jumbled up in a hopper.

I took a real close look at my Tustfire 14500 cells. If you put one in you are about a tenth of a mm from shorting it out. Don't do it. It's not worth the risk.

Last edited:

J_C

Enlightened

Maybe a little solder dome put on the center contact would raise it enough that there isn't a shorting potential anymore, though you wouldn't then have the reverse polarity protection built-in by having it recessed.

xof

Newly Enlightened

build quality is good. it is a pretty slick looking little light. However my sample is very yellow in comparison to the beamshots you show. Do you think this has to do with whatever random bin i got or do i have a problem with my light? anyone else have a very warm emitter?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
build quality is good. it is a pretty slick looking little light. However my sample is very yellow in comparison to the beamshots you show. Do you think this has to do with whatever random bin i got or do i have a problem with my light? anyone else have a very warm emitter?

my beamshots were made using a 14500 cell, on a NiMH, the tint on mine is not a pure cool white, its more towards a vanilla tint which is quite pleasing to the eye imho.

for the other Tank owners, please take a look at the end of post #1, 2nd edit. Can your lights tailcap twist past 90 degrees? i.e. from about 12 to 3 on a clock face. I'm curious about this point now and want to double check with you gys.

koolranch

Newly Enlightened
My fovorite part of your review was,

"Just did some drop tests from about 5 ft on to a tiled floor, dropped 3 times, no issues, light still works fine."

I have recieved a trustfire p7-f16 form dx this week and I really like it. I do not think I will be doing a drop test though. :)

Thanks for the review and the pictures.

MerkurMan

Newly Enlightened
my beamshots were made using a 14500 cell, on a NiMH, the tint on mine is not a pure cool white, its more towards a vanilla tint which is quite pleasing to the eye imho.

for the other Tank owners, please take a look at the end of post #1, 2nd edit. Can your lights tailcap twist past 90 degrees? i.e. from about 12 to 3 on a clock face. I'm curious about this point now and want to double check with you gys.

My tailcap can be adjusted to produce different behaviours. If I loosen the tail all the way, and tighten the head all the way, I get almost a 1/2 turn (12 - 5 o'clock). If I keep the tail tight, and then tighten the head down to it, I get about 3/4 of a turn (from 12 - 9 o'clock).

I'm still impressed with the tint on mine... if it weren't for the yellow corona (well, more like half the spill), it would be perfect. It is a little more white on 14500, but I noticed a *very* slight and slow shift to blue after about 10 seconds of running, so I'm going to stick with NiMH for now.

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened

I own two of these and they both turn about 180 degrees.
One of these arrived DOA, so it looks like the quality control isn't that great on these.

Mario

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own two of these and they both turn about 180 degrees.
One of these arrived DOA, so it looks like the quality control isn't that great on these.

Mario

yeah, sure looks like it, guess that's why i ordered two :) anyway, at $13 each it doesnt hurt much. When am i going to learn to stop ordering these and just get a Nitecore EZ AA if i want an EZ AA :crackup:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, sure looks like it, guess that's why i ordered two :) anyway, at $13 each it doesnt hurt much. When am i going to learn to stop ordering these and just get a Nitecore EZ AA if i want an EZ AA :crackup:

It won't make a difference. I already have an EzAA but I still ordered two of these just to see what they are like.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review hyperloop, it helped a lot since I put this flashlight in my DX wish list long time ago... :thumbsup:

Latest posts