Simple Kydex 6P holster

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I've been using a Bianchi Accumold 7326 holster for about a year with my Surefire 6P and the function is great. The belt loop is a little bit big, since its made to fit 2 1/4" belts and I generally run a 1.5", but otherwise its perfect for my needs. The problem is I've gone through 2 of them in a year. The insides constantly wear out from holstering/unholstering. I want to get the exact same thing, but in Kydex. Here's a link to the Bianchi:

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=7326

Has anyone seen anything identical in Kydex, or know who could make one? Price isn't particularly an issue as long as the product is nicely made. I've looked at nearly every commercially available kydex light holster and most of them are too bulky.The Bianchi is barely larger than the light and doesn't get in the way. I also want to keep the open top/open bottom design.

Thanks!

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at a Blackhawk Mod-U-Lok flashlight holder? They are only about $20. I have been using one for the last 4 years and it is great. The 6P fits kind of tight becuase of the knurling, but it is perfect for a G2. Right now I am using an EagleTac T100C2 with it and works OK.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
The Mod-U-Lok is huge. It also stands off from the belt. I need the opposite of the Mod-U-Lok. The kydex holsters from LCGGear are beautiful but I can't understand the site to order one. I See LiteMania carries some of them but none specifically for the 6P. The HDS one might work though. Thanks for the suggestion!

bestcounsel

Enlightened
I use the same kydex holster pictured from Comptac....its great....but its bulky. I give it a 2 thumbs up...i have not sold it and that says a lot....

I have carried a lot of lights on that comptac, 9z, 9p, 6p, 6pl, 62, g2l....the 6p/g2 feel the best....

i plan on using my new 6z with that comptac

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two SF 6P scabbards that are very similar to the comptac one. One is an old Blade-Tech (left) and the other is a Ky-Tac Lite Rac (right).

BladeTechLandKytacRSureFirescabb-3.jpg

BladeTechLandKytacRSureFirescabb-2.jpg

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting timing...
I am working on some very simple Kydex holsters for the 6p and similar.
Both bezel up and bezel down models.

These will be the most low profile possible.
They will be tailored to a few different belt sizes to keep the draw/return operation smooth and precise.

I have not seen any like mine.

I'll have some for sale in a few weeks.
Pics to come in about a week.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting timing...

They will be tailored to a few different belt sizes to keep the draw/return operation smooth and precise.

What I like about my old Blade-Tech and Ky-Tac rigs is that they don't dip below the belt line. I use an IWB holster and a low profile spare mag pouch, so I dislike carry gear that hangs low. Forces me to wear cover garments that also hang low. I also like the Blade-Tech rig because it doesn't use any screws for tension. The inherent Kydex springiness holds the 6P securely.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Interesting timing...

I am willing to wait for this to check it out :)

Will the bezel-up version be open at the bottom so the whole body and tailcap slide through, and the head is what keeps the light from slipping through, or is it closed on the bottom?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the rig is a tail-down design with a closed end, you might consider some method of avoiding accidental light actuation if the bezel gets pushed downward. Mitch Rosen's leather SureFire 6P carrier uses a patented design where the pouch bottom is angled so that the leather can't contact the SF tailcap button.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am willing to wait for this to check it out :)

Will the bezel-up version be open at the bottom so the whole body and tailcap slide through, and the head is what keeps the light from slipping through, or is it closed on the bottom?

Open Bottom.

I need to play with a few different thicknesses of material and I'll share soon.

Maybe you can be a guinea pig for these.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
If the rig is a tail-down design with a closed end, you might consider some method of avoiding accidental light actuation if the bezel gets pushed downward. Mitch Rosen's leather SureFire 6P carrier uses a patented design where the pouch bottom is angled so that the leather can't contact the SF tailcap button.

I have never had an accidental activation that left the light on using my Bianchi Accumold. Once in a blue moon I'll get a quick flash of light. The netkids clicky is not very sensitive though, and I used to have more temporary activations with the twisty LOTC's.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have made a couple prototype holsters to test.

They are very promising.

Pics at the end of the week

gallonoffuel

Enlightened

They are very promising.

Awesome! I bought some kydex sheets to play with for my own tinkering, but I'm already accepting the fact that anything I make will likely be inferior to something a more experienced craftsman will make.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are very promising.

This is great news. With a half dozen 6P sized lights in current rotation, I would be VERY interested!! Any chance of you making one that has a compartment for spare batteries? I like to have that choice for extended outings, as well.