Lithium grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the mist of stripping down a cleaning my sisters 3/D Maglite. I'm about to apply some "lithium" grease to the orings, but I need to no it this is safe. I know not to apply the petroleium based stuff. I may hold off till I can find come Nyogel, some that will handle the comng cold/wet winter. I don't want her to be stuck somewhere between home and Area-51 with a unit that can't handle the tempuratures! Please advise.

chiphead

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the mist of stripping down a cleaning my sisters 3/D Maglite. I'm about to apply some "lithium" grease to the orings, but I need to no it this is safe.
Did you read the "Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread" in this forum? Lithium grease is listed under "Poor" so the initial suggestion would be to look through that thread for a better lube. The Google Search function within CPF is very quick and has saved me lots of time re-asking old questions that already have answers. :naughty:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, petroleum jelly (like Vasoline) is perfectly fine with maglites; it is actually what they suggest. Since Maglites are intended for "everyday users" (not only "people like us"), requiring people to buy more exotic lubricants like nyogel would not be practical. While most higher end lights have o-rings that will not work well with petroleum products, Maglite O-rings are designed for this.

ARA

Enlightened
Lithium grease is very poor for application to flashlight threads, i've tried it. it actually works against the threads and is a pain to remove. you'd be better off with vaseline if its a temporary fix you need.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast

asfaltpiloot

Newly Enlightened
Just out of curiosity.
Will the new one be the maglite led or the incandesent?
Had a Maglite 6D eaten by alkies. It was a pita to clean.

Take care.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use petroleum jelly on both of my maglites, and it works fine. I also have Nyogel 760, but it isn't really any better on the maglites than the petroleum jelly.

Illum

Flashaholic
Lithium grease is very poor for application to flashlight threads, i've tried it. it actually works against the threads and is a pain to remove. you'd be better off with vaseline if its a temporary fix you need.

for some reason when the Inova XO3 first came out I asked an Inova rep over email and thats what they recommend.

It did a very good job in caking everywhere that it could be in contact with air and did very little when it comes to smoothing the tailcaps twists. :shakehead

lightplay22

Enlightened
Just get her one that you can put lithium batteries in so that it will not leak and ruin another light. Alkalines have to be the worst battery for a light that don't get used often or is stuck under the seat of a car for emergencies. Have had about 10 mags ruined through the years by alkalines.

Do read the lube thread as it is VERY informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.