• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ALL SOLD: LIMITED RUN SALE Military Green-Bodied Q-III with Cyan Emitter

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quantity Available: SOLD OUT

Started at: 8 flashlights, 3 have UCL lens upgrades.

Sale Tracking:
1. Q3 Green/Cyan with AR UCL Lens SOLD to nailbender, Shipped Sat 10/17
2. Q3 Green/Cyan with AR UCL Lens SOLD to eldisgusto, Shipped Sat 10/17
3. Q3 Green/Cyan with AR UCL Lens SOLD to hornady708, Shipped Mon 10/19
4. Q3 Green/Cyan (Stock Lens) SOLD to Nyctophiliac (via hornady708), Shipped Mon 10/19
5. Q3 Green/Cyan (Stock Lens) SOLD to X_Marine, Shipped Mon 10/19
6. Q3 Green/Cyan (Stock Lens) SOLD to Galiphrey, Shipped Mon 10/19
7. Q3 Green/Cyan (Stock Lens) SOLD to gswitter, Shipped Mon 10/19
8. Q3 Green/Cyan (Stock Lens) SOLD to ubetit, Ships Tues 10/20

I decided to do a special run of these for CPF, thinking about upcoming holiday activies. I also thought it would be great for people to be able to
reach for the green-bodied flashlight when they want green-light color. Makes sense, right?

Then along comes a co-worker who is older than me (!) and running a marathon for The National Collegiate Cancer
Foundation
. I've agreed to donate $13 from each light to benefit the charity. This will be a WIN-WIN-WIN for 8 lucky CPF buyers, some
disadvantaged students, and myself for staying out of trouble by upgrading flashlights.

This is a brand new aluminum-bodied flashlight, converted using a Cyan Lux III Emitter. The emitter is high output, about 80 lumens and 510-520 nm wavelength. It's very eye-catching color! NOTE: Luxeon discontinued the Cyan emitter, and Cree doesn't make it at all. This makes the emitter RARE.

The color is between green and blue, closer to green. This color is sometimes called "night vision green" because of it's usefulness. Also cyan is referred to as "aqua", or "turquoise".

The emitter is unusual, the die has a silvery finish. Where a white emitter has a yellowish color, this is like a mirror!

About 1.5 hour semi-regulated runtime on a CR123 cell (manufacturer's data). The LED-Museum tested 1:40 to 50% intensity, and continued running to 3:30 at 1.5%. Since the emitter is the same voltage as the stock white LED, the driver is the same, and the runtime should be the same.

Someone will ask if RCR123's are OK to use. I don't know what the manufacturer recommends, but from what I've read it's OK. I would refer you to do a search to find out. I found this and this post, you may find others as well. Use 3.7V cells at your own educated risk. Luxeon rates this cyan LED for 1000mA, so the emitter I'm putting in should be as good as the white one removed.

Enough technical stuff. Here's a summary of what you get:
* Flashlight, green body and cyan emitter.
* Nylon Carrying Case.
* Pocket Clip, installed (by factory)
* Panasonic CR123 Cell
* Original Packaging, only cut around the edges to remove and replace the light.

OPTIONAL:
* Double-sided Anti-Reflective UCL Glass lens. I only have 3! I got them from flashlightlens-dot-com .

This light was upgraded to my picky standards, and tested for 5 minutes. I did not re-epoxy the head, just twisted it tight. Some of the original
epoxy may remain on the internal threads. No pliers or straps were necessary to remove the head, boiling hot water and washcloths allowed me to do it by hand. If you find any flaws in the flashlight, they were that way from the factory.

Price:
$34 Each
+$5 If you choose the UCL lens upgrade option (0 available)
+$6 Shipping (USPS Priority Box), regardless how many you buy.

Paypal Shipped USPS priority (2-3 day) to any Paypal-confirmed USA address.

Please add $2 if you want insurance, to protect the unlikely event of a postal mishap.

To purchase, please post in this thread what you want, then PM me for my PayPal address. Pay within 24 hours of my reply PM, then I will ship the next postal business day after payment.

I am not a manufacturer, I cannot offer a warranty.

I make no profit on this sale, that goes to charity as state above. Thanks to Battery Junction for selling the Q3's at a reduced price, and Photon Fanatic for selling me what's left of his Lux III cyan emitters at a discount.

Please see the pictures below. The very last image compares the emitter color to green (535nm) and blue (485nm) emitters, to help you judge the color despite your monitor's color settings. I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow when it's daylight.

IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LIMITED RUN SALE Military Green-Bodied Q-III with Cyan Emitter

Credits to EDC Reviews

"Cyan also called "aqua" is a 50-50 mix of blue and green. It is the complement of red, cyan pigments completely absorb red. Cyan is therefore an excellent choice to detect blood or any other red substance if you need that.

Cyan lights share properties of both blue and green LEDs, they can be seen as stronger greens or softer blues. Cyan is good for search lights since blue increases contrasts and the green makes the different shades produced very visible to the eyes."

You may also search CPF for "cyan" and find lots more uses.

Besides, it's cool! :)

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned

Ah. Well, I was aware that cyan is a very easy-to-see color, so my guess was that a cyan emitter would produce the most visible light per watt either for human eyes or for night vision (assuming night vision can even see cyan, I dunno). Never would've guessed the part about blood though, but it does make sense.

I suppose in certain situations, color contrast is not nearly as important as brightness contrast (kinda like how B&W photos show certain details better than color photos do), and so in those situations a monochromatic light source would be more useful. Seems like the sort of thing I might go prowling through the woods with, if I did that sort of thing.

Anyway, I'm sure the people who know why they need them will be glad to get them. Good luck with the sale!

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are especially nice if you want to take a walk in a meadows at night and would like to see all the spider's eyes light up. :crackup:

You have to hold the flashlight close to your eyes, preferably between them. Thankfully it will be dark and no one, other than the insects, will see you doing this. :devil:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

You have to hold the flashlight close to your eyes, preferably between them. Thankfully it will be dark and no one, other than the insects, will see you doing this. :devil:

I WILL have to try this! With a disguise, of course. :crackup:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's those pictures I promised.

Emitter has a silvery die. Nylon pouch uses velcro, and has a belt loop on the back. Beam is broad, smooth, and with a strong hot spot that throws across the house nicely.

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi EngrPaul,

any chance at all if you can ship one of these to the UK???

All additional costs to me, of course.

If yes - please PM and I'm a prompt payer - UCL lens if poss and insurance etc.

No probs if answer is US only - I'll just have to covet from afar!

Good luck with your sale anyway.

Cheers.

BTW - cyan is a fantastic colour for LED - Me wants!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Paul

I will take one of the UCL lense lites, please pm me your pp when you can.

I am anxious to see the tint.

Thanks

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Nyctophiliac,

I'm sorry, I am not shipping outside USA at this time.

Hi nailbender,

I have sent you a PM and will mark yours SPF above.

Thanks! :)

eldisgusto

Newly Enlightened

Paul,
I'll take #2. Pm To follow.
:paypal:

Last edited:

hornady708

Enlightened

I'll take #3

Nyctophiliac PM sent about picking on up for you

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic

Nycto, if you handle the sales transaction with Paul and he is agreeable to ship the light to me, I will then ship it to you if you PayPal me the shipping cost, including the approx. 4% cut that PayPal takes from my acc't. No "handling" costs on my end.

I have 2 Fenix's with 2 of Photonfanatic's "To Die For" Q2H Cyan emitters in them and they are beautiful! I also have Mac's quad Cyan in the green Mag body. What a beauty! I guess I like Cyan!

Hi EngrPaul,

any chance at all if you can ship one of these to the UK???

All additional costs to me, of course.

If yes - please PM and I'm a prompt payer - UCL lens if poss and insurance etc.

No probs if answer is US only - I'll just have to covet from afar!

Good luck with your sale anyway.

Cheers.

BTW - cyan is a fantastic colour for LED - Me wants!

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll try to be flexible here. Thanks for those in the community trying to help.

For a buyer of a light who is also helping a non-US resident, I'll just expect the buyer to pay for both lights and only one shipping charge, as long as it isn't too late for me to box them together and send them to the US resident.

I'll also wait for the extra time it takes to complete the deal. :tinfoil:

Last edited:

X_Marine

Enlightened

I'll take one with ins.

Awaiting PM..
X/BillyD..

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks EngrPaul,

understood.

Thanks hornady 708 for you're help - Paypal sent - Godspeed.

:paypal:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

2 shipped, 3 SPF, 3 available, lead post updated. :thumbsup:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

These are very nice and cyan is one of my favorite colors. The light would be pretty useless, so, I would immediately buy it... :devil:

Nevermind, they'll go fast, being for a good cause, that's nice!