Colored Luxeons - Do they get bin numbers?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, do they? The bright colors question has been hashed around quite a bit. Does Lumileds bin code their colored 1W and 5W's? How about light meter readings on colored 1W and 5W's? We've discussed human eye perception of color brightness, etc., but what does a light meter have to say about cyan, blue, etc? I don't remember seeing any data on this aspect. Is there a thread somewhere I missed?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the light meter told Wayne (Elektrolumens) that his latest Cyan creation nearly hit 10,000 lux...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I would assume Cyan or Blue should give out the highest lux because of their lack of phospor coatings...

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep colored luxeons do indeed get bin numbers. You can download a PDF file with all the info on luxeons and binning at Lumileds site. (You have to register but it is no big deal and in fact I have received exactly zero e-mails as a result.)

Hope this helps,
Pat

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaah! So, if the colored luxeons also get binned, it would be interesting to see how the bin #s compare to similar white ones. I don't have any, but I was hoping that someone who does could peak at the bin and see how it compares to a similar bin white. What I'm trying to see is are colored luxeons (notably: cyan) that are perceived to be brighter actually brighter according to Lumileds? How about a light meter reading of two similar bins, white and color, where you percieve one as brighter than the other?

OddOne

Enlightened
My brother has one of every color you can get a 1W Luxeon Star in, and they ALL have bin codes on the back.

And, as is so strongly the case for the white ones, the colored ones can have huge variations in actual emission wavelength - he has a blue that's cyan and a cyan that's green, according to the bin codes.

oO

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
OddOne said:
My brother has one of every color you can get a 1W Luxeon Star in, and they ALL have bin codes on the back.

And, as is so strongly the case for the white ones, the colored ones can have huge variations in actual emission wavelength - he has a blue that's cyan and a cyan that's green, according to the bin codes.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I try to never argue with the guy with real experience, a recheck might be in order?

The bins are 5 nm wide, generally 6 in number (with exceptions) and *there is no overlap*:

Blue 460 to 490 nm in 6 bins
Cyan 490 to 520 nm in 6 bins
Green 520 to 550 nm in 6 bins

If you will, a 'bin 7 Cyan' would be marked as a bin 1 Green. It's like resistor values, no matter what the exact value, it fits into one of the 5% standard values.

For sure colors can be very subjective (something that those of us who are color blind need to deal with often), but the emission of the LED is subject to accurate, calibrated measurement.

Mismarked parts are, of course, possible. At the risk of being buried in 'BS, I've got one here...' responses, I'll bet they're highly uncommon. Great attention seems to be paid to this at the factory.

Doug Owen

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, indeed...
I recently received a 5W royal blue SE, bin was: R5V

Which means:

515-635 mW Po (royal blue is ranked in mW of radiometric power, since the lumen numbers are quite low, but royal blue is one of the more efficient LED colors)...(an interesting note about this: all things being equal, a side emitter will output less light than a HD due to the optics. Were this a high dome, it might have been an S-ranked royal blue, approaching 0.75W of output power!)

450-455nm (color)

7.35-7.83V Vf

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone needs to stumble upon a W binned 5w Cyan and mod it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug Owen said:
[ QUOTE ]
OddOne said:

[/ QUOTE ]

While I try to never argue with the guy with real experience, a recheck might be in order?

The bins are 5 nm wide, generally 6 in number (with exceptions) and *there is no overlap*:

Blue 460 to 490 nm in 6 bins
Cyan 490 to 520 nm in 6 bins
Green 520 to 550 nm in 6 bins

If you will, a 'bin 7 Cyan' would be marked as a bin 1 Green. It's like resistor values, no matter what the exact value, it fits into one of the 5% standard values.

For sure colors can be very subjective (something that those of us who are color blind need to deal with often), but the emission of the LED is subject to accurate, calibrated measurement.

Mismarked parts are, of course, possible. At the risk of being buried in 'BS, I've got one here...' responses, I'll bet they're highly uncommon. Great attention seems to be paid to this at the factory.

Doug Owen

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug, I think what he is saying is , for example, he has a cyan that looks green. A bin 6 cyan looks green to my eye.