Domain name and webhosting questions.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming that I already have the page written, tested, and sitting on my computer. How long does it take to get a domain name and for it to be active and get the hosted page active.

watt4

Enlightened

about two days.

it takes only 30 minutes to buy the domain, and 24 to 48 hours for the webhosting information to propagate.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my domain name weeks before I signed up for hosting. I don't remember either taking more than a few days to get processed.

zmoz

Enlightened
It can take up to 72 hours for domain names to take effect...but it is usually less than 24 hours. Uploading the files should only take a few minutes.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
zmoz, I just looked at you homepage. How long have you been in business? How do I go about getting a domain name and can you help with that. I see that I can unsubscribe anytime I like. hmmmmm. I am interested.

zmoz

Enlightened
I've been in business quite a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You can get a domain name several places...I would recommend godaddy.com, they only charge $8.95 a year.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Anyone have a good source for inexpensive web hosting?

I have my own domain (soon to add a second). volumes are LOW - probably a few 100 vistors a month at MAX

I'd really like access to majordomo or some other mailing list host for the 2nd domain (sympa?). Access to some sort of sql (mysql or even sql server would be nice, but is pure guilding the lilly)

jtice

Flashaholic
I just signed up with zmoz,,,, seems fine so far,,,,, although,,,,, how do I ftp? I cant find any info on it. The web based file manageer, is good, but only does one file at a time.

jtice

Flashaholic
well, i ussually just use internet explorer,,,,, but i dont know the ftp settings yet,,,, i used to used cuteftp...
couldnt find the settings on zmoz

zmoz

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
I just signed up with zmoz,,,, seems fine so far,,,,, although,,,,, how do I ftp? I cant find any info on it. The web based file manageer, is good, but only does one file at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use ftp.yourdomain.com for the address and the username and password that were sent to you after you signed up. If you still can't get it to work send an email to [email protected].

TOB9595

Enlightened
I used cuteftp, worked well. I used the "plunge".
Had to figure it out as to where to put things. I'm new to this stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom