How many lumens is adequate?

Boss Hogg

Newly Enlightened
Noobie here. I know that people use flashlights for a variety of different purposes, but I was wondering how many lumens is adequate at night to prevent a person that was going to approach you to get the message? I assume anything over 200 would be able to mess someone up, anything lower?

LG&M

Enlightened
I think you will find almost everyone here will have a different answer. 200 Lm is a good start. I really depends on why they are approaching you. If that is to do you harm I would settle for nothing less then 200lm and the sound of a M1911 clearing leather.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have made people uncomfortable (accidentally) with my Zebralight H501, which is only 100L of flood. But I would say 150L from a moderate throw reflector is sufficient.

Larbo

Enlightened
I also think 200 lumens would be the minimum light to get your point across, although my 170 lumen Quark should provide the few seconds needed to escape or clobber someone. :grin2:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have made people uncomfortable (accidentally) with my Zebralight H501, which is only 100L of flood. But I would say 150L from a moderate throw reflector is sufficient.

+1

I would also add the importance of beam profile and I prefer semi flood lights for that.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
When I was reading about Surefires, and playing around with their lights in stores, years ago, I was impressed with the 60 lumens of the 6P, and really impressed with my very first SF, a 9P. Of course, we now know that the 60 lumens rating on the 6P, was really about 80, but shine that light in somebodys eyes at night and they would look away, I tried it many times. Here it is definitely the shape of the beam that made the SF so bright at close range. No you really do not need 200 lumens to "turn someone head". LOL

Bill

savumaki

Enlightened
I find it hard to believe that I have made it this far (71) and have never had the need of a "death ray" in hand at night. A simple flashlight to warn people of your presence has always been sufficient.
Simple has graduated to several Surefire 'e' series but nothing beyond 150 L (I think).

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon pressure won't stop squat. What bright light can do, esp on a dark-adapted person, is produce surprise and temporary visual disruption. What you need to do is flash, move, and maybe give a verbal command (or just bolt completely -- in the 1-2 seconds of OODA loop disorientation, you can be 5-10 yds away). If that doesn't work, you better have a Plan B like hands-on or "tools".

The original 65 lumen SureFire 6P was plenty for up close and personal situations. It isn't just lumens. It's also beam pattern and lux.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
zero lumens from barrel of gun

All I read from the OP's question was that someone was approaching and he wanted to warn them off. There was no comment about any lethal threat. Thus, drawing gun is completely unwarranted and ought to get you a free ticket to jail. And in the dark, just what is the approaching person supposed to see anyway?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more the better. Low and mediums setting are there when you don't need a whole lot of light. I wish my H501 can shoot out 200 Lm on high. Same with the AAA Maratac.

Last edited:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh.. and :welcome:

As Justin said, you need have a plan B. Only after this flash and move! hahah, or flash and "freeze, police!" [no, it isn't a good idea] and run away :p

But talking about lumens, I think something like a 100lm is enough.

Jason_Tx

Newly Enlightened
I do recall many a late nights as a kid.
The bubble gum lights go on, you stop. BAMN - maglite in your face seemed sufficient enough to be quite annoying and disorienting.

But like many of ya'll have stated, I would have to go with beam quality over the actual lumens.
My Malkoff M60W seems to do the trick rather well as well as my fenix tk11 r2. I personally think the Fenix is more painful. Just something about that cooler tint that hurts like hell.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think that ambient lighting, if any, would affect the effectiveness of any beam. If in total or near-total darkness with dark-adapted eyes, very little light could be disorienting. But on a city street or anywhere with considerable area lighting, more lumens would be needed.

So, to have "adequate" light for just about any scenario, the SureFire M6 with it's 500 lumen lamp is the ticket. Even in the light of day, you can't help but turn away from this beam... :nana:

JeffInChi

Enlightened
how many lumens is adequate at night to prevent a person that was going to approach you to get the message?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

I would say this light...........

038flq.jpg

Mounted on this guy..........

037ie.jpg

Should get any message across :thumbsup:

ACHË

Newly Enlightened
With semi night adapted eyes the 120 lumens from my Novatac was enough to leave me practically blind for a few seconds.

Enough time to draw a gun, baton, MACE or to pick an escape route and dash.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I find it hard to believe that I have made it this far (71) and have never had the need of a "death ray" in hand at night. A simple flashlight to warn people of your presence has always been sufficient.
Simple has graduated to several Surefire 'e' series but nothing beyond 150 L (I think).

What about that Mag 85 of yours? More than 150 lumens. Would be a great back up light if you need something to overcome ambient light. My USL would suffice. Truth be known, I mostly do ok with lower lumen output lights on walks but usually carry something stronger for to really light up the way if need be. BTW, 1938 was a good year.

Bill

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think this has more about the lux than the lumens if you get what i mean.

My friend had a LD01 and shined it on me by accident in about 1metre and i just went *ooHHHHDEWGRG* lol

If it happened like 3 or 4 metres away, i would be probably less fussed.

Did yid you aim the spot at the person's eye, or the spill? That'll be a make or break difference.