LEO Opinion - Strike Bezels

AndrewP

Newly Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/245453

Riding on the back of the above thread regarding the strobe function. If you want to know a worse thing about these torches IMO

The strike bezels. Now if you hit someone with the bezel on the end of the torch as is their function, it is much more likely going to open up a wound. Which inturn exposes an LEO to blood and potential HIV HEP etc

Also I have found the spill area increases a bit when the bezel is taken off. I for one dont like the strike bezels for these reasons. Also I am not sure if an LEO would have a leg to stand on as it (Defensive bezel) is a type of defensive weapon which many Police departments may not have tested and approved as an option.

Just some thoughts

outersquare

Enlightened
if you have to punch someone there is a good chance they will bleed anyways and then it is worse with potential direct skin to skin abrasion.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
As far as a LEO using it, and our sue happy world we live in now, I understand your concerns. Though Iam not an LEO and I like the idea of lots of blood flooding an attackers eye's with a couple or even a single strike. Then if he still keeps coming, and I fear for my life, I can shoot him with my CCW and have proof in court I tried to stop him before shooting, proof of escalation of force.Kind of like using pepper spray first.

Please take this with a grain of salt, I would of course do everything I can to get out of the situation first, run, etc... I do have a perm dissability that could make it hard for me to exit some situations, and I truly believe we should all be able to defend ourselves against attack in any way possible.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a last resort, a love tap to the forehead would be accepted I think... better than being belted over the head with a mag and possibly suffering from head trauma... which would also cause an open wound.

I agree on the beam profile as well.
Strike bezels do cut down the spill a little.

It looks cool sometimes :D

R@ndom

Enlightened
As a last resort, a love tap to the forehead would be accepted I think... better than being belted over the head with a mag and possibly suffering from head trauma... which would also cause an open wound.

A guy got sentenced 5 years for using an e2dl because the judge classified it as an assualt weapon. A lot of things can be used as clubs however. I'll try and dig up the article.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
:shakehead

I can understand it, but at the same time it is a little silly.

I don't carry lights with strike bezels in public however, for this exact reason... they can be seen as a weapon... which I don't want!
I recently replaced my E2DL as my main EDC for an LX2 for this reason.

Larbo

Enlightened
A guy got sentenced 5 years for using an e2dl because the judge classified it as an assualt weapon.

What asinine state was this in?? NJ?

Please post a link to that if you can find it.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
DimeRazorback,
CPF member MIK does an inexpensive grind job on the E2DL head to give it more of an E2E profile. I'm thinking about contacting him to have it done to mine. For the same reason, I wish that SF didn't put 'executive DEFENDER' on the side. 'Executive Light' would suit me just fine, for the same reasons.

Latest posts